The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,916 of 23,565
I wanted to get some experiences from anyone whose RMA that didn't go as planned!

A few months ago, I sent my out-of-warrant U18t to 64 audio for a checkup/repair. After coughing up the repair/international postage cost I had my U18t back to what I thought was perfect condition.

It took me a few weeks to realise, mainly due to using the U18t while being relatively still, that there appeared to be some sort of distortion when I made a heavy movement. Initially I assumed it was the cable I was using however I found out soon after that there were some loose internals in my right-hand earpiece. This was obvious when shaking earpiece. I am certain that this was a result of the initial RMA not being completed adequately as I've always been careful with all my earphones.

I've sent my U18t back to 64 audio to be checked. What are the chances that I don't get hit with anther hefty bill?

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #6,917 of 23,565
A12t with blue and red shells both with brushed aluminum faceplates and silver model on one and silver logo on the other has been ordered. Impressions being mailed tomorrow morning.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #6,918 of 23,565
^

congrats, buddy!

share your thoughts once you receive them.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #6,919 of 23,565
frankie D, could you please explain how you use the Hugo. i am fairly new to the hobby and started with a dap and i sort of dont get how i would use a hugo and would love to hear how you do.
I use the Hugo 2 for tabletop listening with my iem’s. I typically plug it into my Mac, but also my iPhone. I also set up a connection to use it as part of my main stereo, but I have not really used that. For me, the Hugo 2 sounds great with the Fourte and my Custom Noble Encore. It also sounded great with the Noble Kahn, but I returned those due to what I felt were build issues. I have also tested it with a great many other IEM’s and I felt it was excellent with all of them. I do not use headphones, but I have tested it with Audeze LCD 4’s and Mobius Headphones and found it to sound fabulous with both of them. As it has the ability to bypass its battery when left plugged in, it really is a great portable (meaning transportable, not mobile listening) DAC and Amp.

I no longer use it while traveling. I own a Cayin N8 BB and feel that is better and easier to use while traveling.

Also, the Hugo 2 while portable, is not for daily commuting, walking etc. it is too cumbersome. Just use your phone for that. I hope this info is helpful to you. Tks.

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #6,920 of 23,565
i managed to pick up a hugo today (just got lucky on ebay locally). i am looking forward to listening to it tonight (albeit with phone as source as i don't have the chords to connect wm1z yet (also if anyone knows how i should do that or cable recommendation that would be great)).

never listened to trio or u18t via any other source than wm1z so am quite curious.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #6,921 of 23,565
I use the Hugo 2 for tabletop listening with my iem’s. I typically plug it into my Mac, but also my iPhone. I also set up a connection to use it as part of my main stereo, but I have not really used that. For me, the Hugo 2 sounds great with the Fourte and my Custom Noble Encore.

What a great reply, thank you for the thorough answer. I was absolutely blown away by the Hugo 2 with my U18t. That's a superb IEM with my standard sources of LG V20, then the amped AK380 and the AKSP1000. But the Hugo 2 is just on another planet, and was a staggering, epiphanous moment when I plugged in. I literally could not believe what I was hearing, the level of detail and viscerality was unprecedented to my ears.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #6,922 of 23,565
A12t with blue and red shells both with brushed aluminum faceplates and silver model on one and silver logo on the other has been ordered. Impressions being mailed tomorrow morning.
I know you are going to enjoy switching between the 2 signatures. LX and A12. Yesterday it was LX for me but today it’s the Fourte. Go figure.

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #6,923 of 23,565
What a great reply, thank you for the thorough answer. I was absolutely blown away by the Hugo 2 with my U18t. That's a superb IEM with my standard sources of LG V20, then the amped AK380 and the AKSP1000. But the Hugo 2 is just on another planet, and was a staggering, epiphanous moment when I plugged in. I literally could not believe what I was hearing, the level of detail and viscerality was unprecedented to my ears.

Only my irrational fixation on balanced outputs is keeping me safe from the Chord product line.

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #6,924 of 23,565
Only my irrational fixation on balanced outputs is keeping me safe from the Chord product line.

I'd bet Hugo 2 is more powerful than any balanced DAPs on the market so balanced output is not necessary for it. Though IIRC, Rob is adamant that SE is more transparent sounding than balanced and for that reason his DACs are always SE on the chip level

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #6,925 of 23,565
I'd bet Hugo 2 is more powerful than any balanced DAPs on the market so balanced output is not necessary for it. Though IIRC, Rob is adamant that SE is more transparent sounding than balanced and for that reason his DACs are always SE on the chip level

I think I was quite forthright about the fixation being irrational…

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #6,926 of 23,565
I think I was quite forthright about the fixation being irrational…

I just dream that Rob's design be implemented on a DAP, but I always find that the Xilinx FPGA chips that he uses generates too much heat for a DAP dimension. I think if Chord developed a DAP with Hugo 2 implementation that has the dimensions of AK Kann Cube (to cool the chip effectively), it would sell like hotcakes.

I wish 64 audio had a Hugo 2 lying around their CanJam booth as I felt that their mysterious flagship IEM really needed a lot of power to shine through

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #6,928 of 23,565
I just dream that Rob's design be implemented on a DAP, but I always find that the Xilinx FPGA chips that he uses generates too much heat for a DAP dimension. I think if Chord developed a DAP with Hugo 2 implementation that has the dimensions of AK Kann Cube (to cool the chip effectively), it would sell like hotcakes.

I wish 64 audio had a Hugo 2 lying around their CanJam booth as I felt that their mysterious flagship IEM really needed a lot of power to shine through

I LOVE the juxtaposition of "cool the chip" and "hotcakes" haha. :joy:

Have you considered the Qutest? https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-chord-electronics-qutest-dac

And what were 64 Audio driving the mystery IEM with at CanJam?

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #6,929 of 23,565

Good question. It must have been tucked away under the table. I didn't really pay that much attention to my listen of the Fourtissimo (as I'll call it until the name surfaces), because universals are not my friend; I was there to audition CIEMs. But I don't really remember any jaw-dropping moments like I had with the 12t and 18t.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #6,930 of 23,565
I LOVE the juxtaposition of "cool the chip" and "hotcakes" haha. :joy:

Have you considered the Qutest? https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-chord-electronics-qutest-dac

I'm more into portable audio than desktop actually

They didn't have any DAP or any DAC/amps in there IIRC. You use your own DAP BTW. The sound from the iPod Touch 6th gen I use was a bit lacking in body compared to other IEMs I've tried there. Even the U12T and Tia Trio sounded much fuller than the mysterious flagship IEM they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back