The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #5,926 of 23,720
Hi,

So I just received my A12T:s and I am in love with the sound and the soundstage! I also love the instrument separation, I truly have no complaints regarding the signature of the sound. It's just what I wanted.

But I have some concerns..

These are my first CIEM:s and I do not know how much they are supposed to seal and how they are supposed to feel. When I put them in almost everything is silent but I can still hear higher frequency sounds.
If I have no music playing I can still hear my mechanical keyboard while I am typing. I can also hear people talking but it's very muffled and it's also very very low. Is this normal? Or should it be as silent as when I was at the audiologist and got my impressions?

Because when I got my impressions I truly experienced silence! I couldn't hear anything at all but I guess that CIEM:s will never be that silent? I've also read that acrylic CIEM:s will have a harder time getting a proper seal compared to silicone.

Another question regarding the fit, I have no problem inserting the A12T:s. And when I remove them I have to twist them to break the "seal" or else they won't come out. When I have them in I can still feel them, today I will try to have them in for a longer period of time.
And I truly hope that they won't start irritating my ears, but I guess my ears have to get used to this kind of feeling?

So to sum up, what kind of seal should I expect and what are you supposed to hear (outer noise) while you have them in?

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't get the same silence as when you're getting impressions because 64 Audio IEMs have apex modules. A full seal (like with silicone impressions) would generally result in -27dB of noise isolation. A 64 Audio IEM with an M15 apex module will give you -15dB of isolation, and an M20 module will give you -20dB. If the external noise you're hearing is comparable to the music that's playing through the earphones, then it's not sealing correctly. But, if the external noise becomes 90% drowned out by the time you have music playing at a reasonable volume, then you've achieved a seal.

Having owned both, silicone and acrylic IEMs don't seal better or worse than one another; simply differently. Acrylic IEMs are much, much, much easier to insert and take out. Silicone IEMs are inherently sticky and tacky, so inserting them and pulling them out will require more strength and bravery than you'd expect, but you certainly get used to it. Acrylic and silicone IEMs both have the potential to disappear in the ear, but the sensations are different. Acrylic IEMs sit in the ear as they do, while silicone IEMs almost feel like they're fusing with your ear. The latter also feel denser because they're fully filled, while I've personally felt hollow acrylic CIEMs to be more comfortable because they're a bit lighter and feel less stuffy in the ear.

Twisting CIEMs in and out are actually the proper way to insert and remove them. I assume you twist them forwards to remove them, right? To most reliably achieve a perfect seal when you're inserting them, I'd recommend reversing that exact motion. Put them in halfway with the cable sockets almost facing down, then twist them back so they lock into your concha. Also, a tip is to check the flap just above your crus of helix (or where the cable meets the IEM). Sometimes that flap may accidentally fold in on itself and prevent a good seal. If that happens, getting that flap free will immediately give you a more secure, comfortable fit. If these are your first CIEMs, it's completely natural to feel them in the ear for the first week or two. 64 Audio's IEMs tend to be on the tighter side too, so it'll probably be a couple weeks of daily use until they really start to vanish. But, if there aren't any immediate discomforts or pains (i.e. within the first minute or two), then the fit should be alright.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #5,928 of 23,720
Hi,

So I just received my A12T:s and I am in love with the sound and the soundstage! I also love the instrument separation, I truly have no complaints regarding the signature of the sound. It's just what I wanted.

But I have some concerns..

These are my first CIEM:s and I do not know how much they are supposed to seal and how they are supposed to feel. When I put them in almost everything is silent but I can still hear higher frequency sounds.
If I have no music playing I can still hear my mechanical keyboard while I am typing. I can also hear people talking but it's very muffled and it's also very very low. Is this normal? Or should it be as silent as when I was at the audiologist and got my impressions?

Because when I got my impressions I truly experienced silence! I couldn't hear anything at all but I guess that CIEM:s will never be that silent? I've also read that acrylic CIEM:s will have a harder time getting a proper seal compared to silicone.

Another question regarding the fit, I have no problem inserting the A12T:s. And when I remove them I have to twist them to break the "seal" or else they won't come out. When I have them in I can still feel them, today I will try to have them in for a longer period of time.
And I truly hope that they won't start irritating my ears, but I guess my ears have to get used to this kind of feeling?

So to sum up, what kind of seal should I expect and what are you supposed to hear (outer noise) while you have them in?

Thanks in advance!

Apply Vaselines around ear It should be easier to break in.

if you are using M20, try rubbing your fingers next to your ears and if you can hear it, it's not sealing well. you should be able to hear them without music playing (M20).

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #5,931 of 23,720
I never mentioned this in detail before, but I noticed an interesting difference between the uni and custom 18...

During my demo period, I much preferred the m15 on the u18t. I almost never reached for the m20 modules with the universal model.

However, with the A18, I find that spatial cues are much better, bass is bumped up substantially, and high-end details are presented in a more intimate and refined way (all in my opinion.) Considering these improvements on the custom model, I've actually found myself reaching for the m20 modules more frequently and really enjoying them. On the universal model, I felt the overall sound simply suffered too much with the m20 modules, but with the enhancements on the custom model, I find the m20 to be quite pleasing depending on the music I'm listening to and what mood I'm in.

I find the m20 modules to be really great with rock music. For orchestral or classical music, I mostly reach for the m15 modules to bring out the world-class high-end capabilities of the A18...although, I will say that I've even sometimes found the m20 modules to provide a very satisfying experience for classical, particularly piano concertos, or if I really want to hear more of a sense of stage depth in the orchestra - the m20 modules present a deeper sound stage than the m15 modules. For electronic music, both modules sound incredible. It really just depends on my mood which one I pick.

It's really nice that with the U18/A18 you can get two distinct sounds in a matter of seconds. The swappable modules add tremendous value to the 18, and should be factored heavily if one is struggling to justify the sky-high price.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,933 of 23,720
I never mentioned this in detail before, but I noticed an interesting difference between the uni and custom 18...

During my demo period, I much preferred the m15 on the u18t. I almost never reached for the m20 modules with the universal model.

However, with the A18, I find that spatial cues are much better, bass is bumped up substantially, and high-end details are presented in a more intimate and refined way (all in my opinion.) Considering these improvements on the custom model, I've actually found myself reaching for the m20 modules more frequently and really enjoying them. On the universal model, I felt the overall sound simply suffered too much with the m20 modules, but with the enhancements on the custom model, I find the m20 to be quite pleasing depending on the music I'm listening to and what mood I'm in.

I find the m20 modules to be really great with rock music. For orchestral or classical music, I mostly reach for the m15 modules to bring out the world-class high-end capabilities of the A18...although, I will say that I've even sometimes found the m20 modules to provide a very satisfying experience for classical, particularly piano concertos, or if I really want to hear more of a sense of stage depth in the orchestra - the m20 modules present a deeper sound stage than the m15 modules. For electronic music, both modules sound incredible. It really just depends on my mood which one I pick.

It's really nice that with the U18/A18 you can get two distinct sounds in a matter of seconds. The swappable modules add tremendous value to the 18, and should be factored heavily if one is struggling to justify the sky-high price.
I auditioned them 2 times now and felt the loss of bass using the M15 was a deal breaker. When I listen to music, I do not only hear the midrange and highs, but the bass as well. The M20, for me, was much better at transmitting the full impact of the music. Thank you for your detailed thought though. I enjoy reading them. Tks.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5,934 of 23,720
The 18 is proudly neutral.

For me, hearing all frequencies presented with similar presence was what I was looking for when I made the purchase, and something I appreciate about the A18.

Indeed @Frankie D , in the u18 review I wrote on head-fi my only real complaint was the slight lack of bass and warmth that I felt negatively impacted timbre and engagement on the universal model. I also made comparisons to my K10c, which has an abundance of warmth (perhaps, an overabundance at times.) On the custom, due to the better seal and maybe other factors as well, I find the bass response to be a dramatic improvement.

There are really only two reasons I can think of that people would not find the A18 to be spectacular (and indeed, may be reasons they really dislike the sound):

1) Treble Sensitive - The A18 with the m15 module has some of the best high-end response I've ever heard on any audio device. Nonetheless, people sensitive to treble may perceive such treble presence negatively.

2) Dynamic Driver Lovers / Bass Heads - I personally have always preferred BA bass for its speed and detail, and I find the bass response on the A18 to be the most versatile I'ver heard. However, if someone is looking for maximum impact and air movement, I could see them being very disappointed with the A18. For me, the bass response on the A18 is remarkable.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #5,936 of 23,720
The 18 is proudly neutral.

For me, hearing all frequencies presented with similar presence was what I was looking for when I made the purchase, and something I appreciate about the A18.

Indeed @Frankie D , in the u18 review I wrote on head-fi my only real complaint was the slight lack of bass and warmth that I felt negatively impacted timbre and engagement on the universal model. I also made comparisons to my K10c, which has an abundance of warmth (perhaps, an overabundance at times.) On the custom, due to the better seal and maybe other factors as well, I find the bass response to be a dramatic improvement.

There are really only two reasons I can think of that people would not find the A18 to be spectacular (and indeed, may be reasons they really dislike the sound):

1) Treble Sensitive - The A18 with the m15 module has some of the best high-end response I've ever heard on any audio device. Nonetheless, people sensitive to treble may perceive such treble presence negatively.

2) Dynamic Driver Lovers / Bass Heads - I personally have always preferred BA bass for its speed and detail, and I find the bass response on the A18 to be the most versatile I'ver heard. However, if someone is looking for maximum impact and air movement, I could see them being very disappointed with the A18. For me, the bass response on the A18 is remarkable.
Obviously I was speaking about the U18. On it the M15 module was very bass light. The M20 was much better. Both were lacking compared to the Noble Kahn and My Custom Noble Encores in terms of overall enjoyment, bass response mids and treble. However, they were good enough that the custom A18 might make a huge difference. I can hear the quality, just cannot get the same seal as a Custom. So......I may wait for a new version and then potentially go for it (assuming funds are cooperating). I do have a Fourte, but I find the treble a bit too harsh or revealing on some music. Overall I did like it better than the A18. Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts. The fact that you think highly of the A18 is one of the reasons I am interested in it. Tks.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #5,937 of 23,720
Really torn right now if I get them since I already have the andromedas but the sound changed my mind and is now my preferred signsture. Canjam opened the door to me.

Now there's a b stock and asking if I may demo their products just to be sure I purchase the one that will make me he most happy. It's between the u12 and the trio which to get

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #5,940 of 23,720
Obviously I was speaking about the U18. On it the M15 module was very bass light. The M20 was much better. Both were lacking compared to the Noble Kahn and My Custom Noble Encores in terms of overall enjoyment, bass response mids and treble. However, they were good enough that the custom A18 might make a huge difference. I can hear the quality, just cannot get the same seal as a Custom. So......I may wait for a new version and then potentially go for it (assuming funds are cooperating). I do have a Fourte, but I find the treble a bit too harsh or revealing on some music. Overall I did like it better than the A18. Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts. The fact that you think highly of the A18 is one of the reasons I am interested in it. Tks.

Agree that the fourte can be a bit harsh in the treble. I don't find a similar harshness at all on the A18.

I find the soundstage on the fourte very speakerlike...it's impressive and unique. But I am also one who finds an oddness in the fourte' mids. The A18 sound much more realistic to my ears.

I also always prefer custom over universal when possible, and in this case I do hear a rather significant difference between the custom and the universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back