The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #5,296 of 23,720
I’ve recently found out that this is actually an earpad issue. I swapped out the stock pads for the Alcantara ones from YAXI, and sub-bass extension and control improved drasticallt. Though, it’s a different presentation entirely; with a darker tone and a more organic timbre throughout.
HD650 can never match something like an Audeze in bass extension imo. Earpads can only help so much

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #5,297 of 23,720
HD650 can never match something like an Audeze in bass extension imo. Earpads can only help so much

I didn't say they were gonna suddenly compete with planars in bass performance, but you'll be surprised (as I was) at how much the pads actually improve it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #5,298 of 23,720
I didn't say they were gonna suddenly compete with planars in bass performance, but you'll be surprised (as I was) at how much the pads actually improve it.
Makes sense but that brings me to my previous point, HD650 is not a TOTL headphone because of its weaknesses.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #5,299 of 23,720
Makes sense but that brings me to my previous point, HD650 is not a TOTL headphone because of its weaknesses.

Uhh... I never said that either. I don't think the HD650 is anywhere close to TOTL in technical performance at all - especially nowadays. All I said was better ear pads can help extend the bass.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #5,300 of 23,720
Uhh... I never said that either. I don't think the HD650 is anywhere close to TOTL in technical performance at all - especially nowadays. All I said was better ear pads can help extend the bass.

HD650 is one of the most neutral, smooth and coherent open backs ever made. It is a TOTL headphone under certain circumstances - when ran out of a good tube amp, it's scales to the top. It doesn't super impress on first listen but this is because it's super balanced and coherent, so it doesn't wow you with extreme bass, unnaturally wide soundstage or very exciting and sparkly highs. I've come to realise this after going through many headphones. As much as like my 64 Audio U12T, the Hd650 gets as much if not more headtime when coupled with woo audio wa8.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #5,301 of 23,720
HD650 is one of the most neutral, smooth and coherent open backs ever made. It is a TOTL headphone under certain circumstances - when ran out of a good tube amp, it's scales to the top. It doesn't super impress on first listen but this is because it's super balanced and coherent, so it doesn't wow you with extreme bass, unnaturally wide soundstage or very exciting and sparkly highs. I've come to realise this after going through many headphones. As much as like my 64 Audio U12T, the Hd650 gets as much if not more headtime when coupled with woo audio wa8.

It's a very good headphone - especially for its age and price - but I can't say it has the best imaging precision, stage stability and background blackness, among other elements. There are many things to love about it, but there are aspects that it definitely concedes to the current cream of the crop. For example, I think the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open shoots similarly to the HD650 in terms of the timbre it's aiming for and the crowd it's intended to please, but in a technically superior way. Once again, I made sure to say that it wasn't TOTL in technical performance, because there's a lot to like about its tone. This is all I'll say on the matter, as this is a 64Audio thread after all.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #5,303 of 23,720
Hi,

I've been ordered ciem from distributor here in Thailand. It's been 8 weeks now (feel like foreveerrrr)
I like to ask you guys. Is this normal? and How long did you wait up for yours to arrived.

Cheers

The wait time is usually 6-8 weeks. 64Audio actually allows you to look at what stage your CIEMs are currently in (whether it’s shell fabrication, faceplate application, artwork, etc.), so I’m sure you can ask your distributor for a status update on your monitors.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #5,304 of 23,720
Hi,

I've been ordered ciem from distributor here in Thailand. It's been 8 weeks now (feel like foreveerrrr)
I like to ask you guys. Is this normal? and How long did you wait up for yours to arrived.

Cheers

Hi, I am Kalani at 64 Audio!

I will reach out to you via PM to get some more information and help track down your order.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #5,306 of 23,720
Hi, I am Kalani at 64 Audio!

I will reach out to you via PM to get some more information and help track down your order.

I guess the standard "welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet!" doesn't really apply here does it ?!?

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #5,308 of 23,720
Anyone have any impressions/reviews of the cheaper end of the 64 audio line? More specifically, the a2e, a3e, and a4t. I see lots of rave reviews about all the upper end ciems but I can’t seem to find much info on these three.

I’m looking to get my first pair of ciem and was considering the a3e, but looking at their sound profiles on the website, it seems the a2e or the a4t might actually be a better fit for me. I’m looking for something that leans more towards warm with impactful sub bass without taking away the clarity of the mids and highs. A sales rep from 64audio recommended the a3e or the n8 (I wish! A bit beyond what I wanted to spend). What do you guys think?

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #5,309 of 23,720
Anyone have any impressions/reviews of the cheaper end of the 64 audio line? More specifically, the a2e, a3e, and a4t. I see lots of rave reviews about all the upper end ciems but I can’t seem to find much info on these three.

I’m looking to get my first pair of ciem and was considering the a3e, but looking at their sound profiles on the website, it seems the a2e or the a4t might actually be a better fit for me. I’m looking for something that leans more towards warm with impactful sub bass without taking away the clarity of the mids and highs. A sales rep from 64audio recommended the a3e or the n8 (I wish! A bit beyond what I wanted to spend). What do you guys think?

No idea about the budget, but if the n8 is something you think you would like why not save up for a bit?

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #5,310 of 23,720
No idea about the budget, but if the n8 is something you think you would like why not save up for a bit?

The reason I hesitate on getting the N8 isn’t because of the money needed to purchase it. I’m hesitant because of the door it opens if I was to get it. This hobby, as I’m sure you all know, is quite a rabbit hole. I like to try lots of different IEM and headphones. At this point, the hobby is almost collecting them. Of course all this is within a certain price range I’ve set for myself. I’m afraid that if I jump to the price range of the N8, I’m going to open up the door to a bunch of IEMs that I’ve been interested in but never got because they’re “out of my price range”. Then the next thing I know, I can only afford to eat cheap instant noodles because I have 20 pairs of 2k+ headphones =(

But I don’t know maybe I can have just one four digit priced IEM and have the willpower to keep it as one... but without being able to demo them here in the sf Bay Area, I’m not sure if I want to make that leap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back