The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 23, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #5,222 of 23,534
is it more isolating than the m20 by a lot?

it should be more isolating, but you can't compare it to M20 since this is no longer an apex module, you just replacing it with a solid fill that will also change the tonality of IEM. These orange modules were designed not for 64 Audio iems, but for earplugs that accept apex modules.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #5,224 of 23,534
@pithyginger63
You're gonna love this, I got buried in downvotes on /r/headphones for daring to suggest that one should try out cables instead of just declaring them snake oil.

@Deezel177
Before I pull the trigger: Do you find the Lionheart a good pairing with the Phantoms as well as the A6t?

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #5,225 of 23,534
@pithyginger63
You're gonna love this, I got buried in downvotes on /r/headphones for daring to suggest that one should try out cables instead of just declaring them snake oil.

@Deezel177
Before I pull the trigger: Do you find the Lionheart a good pairing with the Phantoms as well as the A6t?

I personally haven't tried the Lionheart with either IEM (especially considering I don't have access to a 4-wire Lionheart anymore outside of Singapore), but theoretically speaking, they should pair well. The A6t needs some excitement in the upper-mids that the Lionheart will bring, and it'll also smoothen the treble to alleviate the slight tizzy-ness that Tia drivers can bring. It's worth noting that the Lionheart may alter the A6t's guttural sub- and mid-bass into something a touch warmer and bloomy-er, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I tried the Lionheart briefly with the Phantom at CanJam SG, but I can barely remember how it sounded, so I can't comment there unfortunately.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #5,226 of 23,534
@pithyginger63You're gonna love this, I got buried in downvotes on /r/headphones for daring to suggest that one should try out cables instead of just declaring them snake oil.
I'm genuinely bemused how people can hear no difference at all between cables, unless perhaps they've only listened to cheap cables through budget IEMs.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #5,227 of 23,534
I'm genuinely bemused how people can hear no difference at all between cables, unless perhaps they've only listened to cheap cables through budget IEMs.
I know eh?

Aug 24, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #5,228 of 23,534
Most can hear a difference, but many are skeptical it’s for the better. Beautify is in the eye of the beholder…And let’s say that more than one consumer doubt whether a $1,000 cable sounds “better” than a $200 upgrade.

But since you come across condescending, why don’t you do ABX with a small collection of cables? I, for one, would love to hear how “golden” your ear is.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #5,229 of 23,534
Well some people just can't hear a big enough difference. I mean I thought I did till I did a blind test. It's not like I used cheap cables too.

Zx300 > Leonidas / Ares ii / Eros + / TWag V3 / DHC Nucleotide > Kaiser Encore / EE ESR / 64Audio U12.

Some cables had an overarching different colour about it, but it's more of a sensation than a direct obvious improvement.

If you enjoy cables, go on with it. It not, no need to be so snobbish about it :wink:

Aug 24, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #5,230 of 23,534

Well some people just can't hear a big enough difference. I mean I thought I did till I did a blind test. It's not like I used cheap cables too.

Zx300 > Leonidas / Ares ii / Eros + / TWag V3 / DHC Nucleotide > Kaiser Encore / EE ESR / 64Audio U12.

Some cables had an overarching different colour about it, but it's more of a sensation than a direct obvious improvement.

If you enjoy cables, go on with it. It not, no need to be so snobbish about it :wink:

A voice of reason.

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #5,232 of 23,534
lolololololol, that went exactly as expected, I recently even got a good cable and can definitely hear a difference
The OP wasn't even asking about an expensive cable. ~100 bucks

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #5,233 of 23,534
What I find when talking to people, often it's not just about hearing the difference in cable but rather justifying spending money on the cable with expectations of 40-50% improvement when you spend $500-$1500 on wires for $1k-$3k IEM. I said it in all of my cable reviews, it's a diminishing return to fine tune the sound to YOUR personal liking. It's not about $2k IEM sounding like crap and needing $1k cable to make it shine. If that is the case, you got yourself an IEM with a wrong sound sig to begin with and no cable going to help you. Often it's about that extra 5-10% improvement or smoothing out a peak without applying EQ, and people willing to pay for it.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #5,234 of 23,534
One reason for upgrading cables that I think gets overlooked is ergonomics. When I had the Trio and U12t tour iems I thought the provided cables were terrible.
I found them to be microphonic, prone to tangling, stiff and generally nowhere near the quality of the actual IEMs.
One of the first things I did was to switch to my double helix cable, and the ergonomics were the primary reason.
As Twister6 noted above, the change to the sound are subtle, often (for me) the sound changes are difficult to define but noticeable, ergonomics are anything but subtle.
I don't care how good a cable sounds, if it's microphonic, tangle prone or so thick or stiff as to be unweildly I'm going to get tired of that pretty soon and look to swap them out.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #5,235 of 23,534
One reason for upgrading cables that I think gets overlooked is ergonomics. When I had the Trio and U12t tour iems I thought the provided cables were terrible.
I found them to be microphonic, prone to tangling, stiff and generally nowhere near the quality of the actual IEMs.
One of the first things I did was to switch to my double helix cable, and the ergonomics were the primary reason.
As Twister6 noted above, the change to the sound are subtle, often (for me) the sound changes are difficult to define but noticeable, ergonomics are anything but subtle.
I don't care how good a cable sounds, if it's microphonic, tangle prone or so thick or stiff as to be unweildly I'm going to get tired of that pretty soon and look to swap them out.
You know one thing I've noticed about the new cables is that the pearl white version not only looks nicer, but it not prone to the tangling you mentioned. But I've had much worse cables than the new ones 64 furnishes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back