The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #5,041 of 23,560
Yup, it was a 1960 cable. I recall reading an earlier impression of the n8 in which one user takes about how it sounded with paired with the 1960. That said, I slightly disagree with the impression of it bringing the vocals forward. Rather, what I noticed was that it added even more texture to the bass, without accentuating it or adding bloat. I don’t know if that is what I wanted, but I must say that I did find it enjoyable.

I’ve also been module rolling as well. I saw Twister6’s apex module, and I can assert that there are indeed differences between the height at which it sits.

I’m wondering if I should do a short write up about the n8 just for the heck of it. It’s a wonderful sounding iem that has a very different take on how to implement a bass dynamic driver in a ciem, both in design and sound. I’ve had the fortune to order a clear shell, and straight away it makes the difference in design philosophy from traditional iems apparent.

That said, I kind of experienced the opposite to what Twister6 mentioned, as I feel that changes to the module used made very noticeable differences to the sound, especially in the bass tightness and impact strength.
Pic for reference in the height difference. And I’m still wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 1960s lol.

Any extra pics of the internals?

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #5,043 of 23,560
Any extra pics of the internals?

I would but a phone pic is too Low res to capture the internals of it with enough details after the distortion from the acrylic.
But I won’t bother too much about it tbh. Like I just thought that it was an interesting take on it, but the science and data specs behind it isn’t that important. I’m more focused on just how it sounds to my ears and enjoying the sound rather than nitpicking on the science of it lol.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #5,045 of 23,560
What's the difference between A12t and U12t on comfort and sound quality?

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #5,047 of 23,560
Yup, it was a 1960 cable. I recall reading an earlier impression of the n8 in which one user takes about how it sounded with paired with the 1960. That said, I slightly disagree with the impression of it bringing the vocals forward. Rather, what I noticed was that it added even more texture to the bass, without accentuating it or adding bloat. I don’t know if that is what I wanted, but I must say that I did find it enjoyable.

I’ve also been module rolling as well. I saw Twister6’s apex module, and I can assert that there are indeed differences between the height at which it sits.

I’m wondering if I should do a short write up about the n8 just for the heck of it. It’s a wonderful sounding iem that has a very different take on how to implement a bass dynamic driver in a ciem, both in design and sound. I’ve had the fortune to order a clear shell, and straight away it makes the difference in design philosophy from traditional iems apparent.

That said, I kind of experienced the opposite to what Twister6 mentioned, as I feel that changes to the module used made very noticeable differences to the sound, especially in the bass tightness and impact strength.
Pic for reference in the height difference. And I’m still wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 1960s lol.

M15 offers 5dB less isolation in comparison to M20, so you should hear a more noticeable sound change, especially in low end impact. And I do hear that with U18t where the module sticks out more, similar to your picture. But I hear a more subtle change in sound when module rolling in the review unit I received where the module is more flush with a faceplate.

Attachments

• 64audio_n8-22.jpg
    64audio_n8-22.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #5,049 of 23,560
Have you tried effect audio leonidas with u18t?

I tried out the whole effect audio line except for Ares II and Ares II+, which I regret, but I was way too concentrated on getting enough time in with the janus. My impressions are that effect audio are a truly avant garde, some would say even sacrilegious, cable maker. What they make changes the iem-s sound quite remarkably, which is very, very cool in my book. And a slap in the face of anyone who says cables are just placebo etc. The changes to sound signature and even -- this is just a personal impression :D -- timing qualities of the IEM change (faster, more dynamic at times). Now that may be super good for a lot of IEM-s, but the u18 is itself already extreme -- extremely fast, realistic, treble-extended. So the effect line times the u18 can produce some too extreme combos. When the synergy is there, like with the janus, it's jaw droppingly impressive. But with the rest of their line, the synergy wasn't there.

To answer you, leonidas made them sound distant to me. There was oddness there, all kinds of strange. Eros was a little better. But definitely not a perfect match in my ears either. Also, the thor 2 gave them absolutely unbelievable bass. Never heard such a thing in ear or headphones. Beyond tight. Too distracting in the end, but here's that avant garde philosophy of theirs again: jaw rumbling stuff. Horus was too bright and lean for the u18. Janus basso was really good too, actually. Made them sound like a speaker setup where the two speakers are spread wide and facing inward a bit -- huge bass in the centre and an even wider soundstage than the dynamic. (Yeah, that wide). But the dynamic was deeper. And oh boy did it make electric guitars sound awesome with its lightning charged mids.

If the ergonomics were better it would be an instant buy for me, but since I don't see myself exiting the building with it around my neck -- I gotta deliberate a bit.

One last note: the ALO reference 8 is a very good, normal cable option for the u18. It has NORMAL written all over it. No dramatic changes to signature. Great detail, perhaps 2% or 3% more, at least felt like that. Liquid, extended bass that made them more forgiving even with the m15 module (no bloat). A little treble bite here and there that may be worrying, but I didn't find a track that made them harsh. Just pretty treble. Normal ergonomics, a little stiff and people say microphonic, but hey, they're not an insane 8 wire like the janus. Also, normal price.

All and all it's the battle of the extreme vs normal in my head.

Too bad pw audio wasn't there. Would've like to try some of their stuff since the new designs look gorgeous.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #5,050 of 23,560
@twister6 Any brief comments on N8 vs Andro?

two different sound signatures and just in a different class where N8 is smoother, more musical, more organic/natural, while Andro is more fun (less natural) tuned with hard hitting bass and thicker mids on one end of the spectrum, and bright peaky less forgiving (7k peak) lower treble on the other end.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #5,051 of 23,560

May I ask what kind of module that is in the picture? It doesn't look like apex or adel to me.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #5,052 of 23,560
Finally got to hear the fourte in Can Jam London. And yeah, I made the right choice when I bought the u18. Was afraid the soundstage would outclass it, but to my ears, actually the u18 has a better soundstage. Fourte does not have a "better" or "larger soundstage". It has more depth, but less width that u18. All and all, the fourte and u18 have pretty much the same soundstage real estate wise, only they're differently shaped. To me, I guess, width is just as important and depth so a draw there. But fourte is a more mainstream iem techically. It does not have the end all hyper detail and realism that u18 has, but brings more sub and low bass.

Didn't get to hear the erlköning but I'm beginning to slowly realize the u18 is... well, perfect?

Good cable choices I found for it: Janus dynamic for fun mids and otherworldly soundstage size, but quite bad ergonomics vs ALO reference 8 for staying true to the u18s original tuning while elevating everything a little and adding a touch more bass, and being like 7 times cheaper and more ergonomic. Tough choices await!

100% agree re the fourte vs in my case a18t, while the fourte is seriously impressive on a technical level but its presentation to me felt less coherent and way less musical. I also fell in love with the Janus D, which for me is the closest thing i've heard to a perfect match for the a18, smoothed off the treble/upper mids, added layering lovely texture to pretty much every other frequency and just made the presentation sound sweet natural and very full. I went with intention of buying the lionheart, but sadly i cant unhear the Janus so its going to happen, i dont know how yet but somehow :wink:

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #5,054 of 23,560
two different sound signatures and just in a different class where N8 is smoother, more musical, more organic/natural, while Andro is more fun (less natural) tuned with hard hitting bass and thicker mids on one end of the spectrum, and bright peaky less forgiving (7k peak) lower treble on the other end.

I too agree with his thoughts. The N8 and android are two completely different sound signature designs. Its not a matter of which is better, but that they do different things. That said, the N8 is a tubby kind sound, with a bass extension that goes low, but not overwhelming to the point that it covers the rest of the sound. In transparency the Andro is certainly above the N8, or that is what I feel, but that is not what the N8 was tuned for to begin with,

Now at this point I'm really wondering if i should just write a short review. I thought that there were already enough impressions of the N8 to not necessitate a write up, and there are also users here who seem perpetually ready to respond to questions that it initially made little sense to me to provide my thoughts about the N8 and cable/module rolling.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #5,055 of 23,560
I too agree with his thoughts. The N8 and android are two completely different sound signature designs. Its not a matter of which is better, but that they do different things. That said, the N8 is a tubby kind sound, with a bass extension that goes low, but not overwhelming to the point that it covers the rest of the sound. In transparency the Andro is certainly above the N8, or that is what I feel, but that is not what the N8 was tuned for to begin with,

That is a prototype module that I was given a chance to play with, in addition to the normal -15db, -20db and full seal orange module. I'm not sure what the specs behind the prototype module is, except that it did feel many times heavier than the orange full seal module. Each module led to small but noticeable variances in the sound, which might suit the needs of a wide range of sonic preferences.

Now at this point I'm really wondering if i should just write a short review. I thought that there were already enough impressions of the N8 to not necessitate a write up, and there are also users here who seem perpetually ready to respond to questions that it initially made little sense to me to provide my thoughts about the N8 and cable/module rolling.

Prototype apex module ?!? :astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back