The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #4,966 of 23,565
Being the co-developer of the apex module, I can maybe help explain this phenomenon. There are a couple things at play. The reason the customs have modules that sit deeper or can vary between left and right is in the manufacturing tolerances. The universal shells and custom shells are made with totally different methods. The U's being machined precisely and custom shells worked on by hand. If you have a wood faceplate etc. your distance from the shell is higher, the bottom of the module socket is most likely fixed in the shell. That explains the height differences. It is very unlikely that this is the cause of ambient/bass differences. As far as your bass sound difference, there is also module tolerance. According to 64’s 1db swing explained by Chris couple years ago, it’s entirely possible your particular set of m20's are on the lower swing, and your m15's are on a higher swing. This could lead to less of a gap between them. There is only a 4db bass difference between them at nominal readings Its not a whole lot. I've verified this on my ear simulator. Also consider IEM tolerances. When I clean ears and test them, 64 and JH seem to be the closest between L and R. So, it’s a smaller factor in this particular case IMO. Another variable could be the DD being back vented to the outside of the shell. That can let some ambience in as well, this can differ from BA vented in a confined shell space. I've used future sonics for years and it’s almost like an ambient port. In a post ahead of this someone mentioned internal apex. There is no ambience rating on the 64 website for “internal apex”, I've also verified this on my measurement mic that there is only a 1/2 db bass drop with the fourte's internal apex. vs m20 being a 4db drop from closed to open. There's also factors that can affect FR between universal and custom ears. The volume inside your canal is important. This is an age-old question on why a demo can’t sound identical to a custom. U's generally sit on a shallow insertion meaning more volume inside the ear. Customs go deep which leave you with less volume. If you've ever put universals in your ears and pushed them in really far, you will hear the sound difference. If it’s not front vented you will be stiffening the air inside like when you experience a drastic elevation change. With front venting this effect is drastically reduced if not eliminated, but the removal of volume inside will still affect the sound. Definitely a conversation best had over a beer and not the internet. :)

Let's grab a beer then :beer:

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #4,967 of 23,565
Dear all,

I just bought a Tia U18t and it comes with the standard cable. Of course, there are plenty of cables available on the market.

My question is if a good compromise would be just to buy the premium cable offered by 64audio: https://www.64audio.com/product/New-Premium-Cable.

I am thinking that it must have a special synergy with their IEMs and it's not quite cheap: if I add the special termination that I want (4.4mm balanced), then it gets me to close to 200 dollars.

What would you think about this?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #4,968 of 23,565
Any thoughts on the Mojo vs DX200 to pair with my A12t? I currently have a Mojo and it sounds great but I really want a stand-alone DAP that’s not relying on my phone for operation and that is reliable (hence why I’m not considering the Poly). I’d get a DX200 but I’m worried it might be a considerable downgrade in sound quality from the Mojo. But with all the amp modules now available maybe the DX200 has caught up?

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,969 of 23,565
Dear all,

I just bought a Tia U18t and it comes with the standard cable. Of course, there are plenty of cables available on the market.

My question is if a good compromise would be just to buy the premium cable offered by 64audio: https://www.64audio.com/product/New-Premium-Cable.

I am thinking that it must have a special synergy with their IEMs and it's not quite cheap: if I add the special termination that I want (4.4mm balanced), then it gets me to close to 200 dollars.

What would you think about this?

Thanks a lot!
Congrats on the purchase! Did you buy used? 64’s been shipping the flagship universals with the premium cable included for a long time now. In the case it’s used and has the non premium looking cable, it’s earlier in the thread somewhere but the wire itself is identical. In theory there shouldn’t be any sonic difference.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jul 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4,971 of 23,565
Any thoughts on the Mojo vs DX200 to pair with my A12t? I currently have a Mojo and it sounds great but I really want a stand-alone DAP that’s not relying on my phone for operation and that is reliable (hence why I’m not considering the Poly). I’d get a DX200 but I’m worried it might be a considerable downgrade in sound quality from the Mojo. But with all the amp modules now available maybe the DX200 has caught up?

For me the DX200 is far superior to the mojo. I found the mojo to be too warm sounding. DX200 is a very versatile dap with the amp modules. Head over to the thread and I’m sure you’ll find a bunch of comparisons.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4,972 of 23,565
I am a big fan of Chord and own Mojo, Hugo2 and Dave. I own the DX200 too. It is definitely not a step down from Mojo. Mojo is a good DAC but adds more warms than I care for. DX200 is an excellent sounding DAP with a very impressive DAC. You really can’t go wrong with all of the various amps to choose from. My Mojo is collecting dust in a drawer.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #4,973 of 23,565
I am a big fan of Chord and own Mojo, Hugo2 and Dave. I own the DX200 too. It is definitely not a step down from Mojo. Mojo is a good DAC but adds more warms than I care for. DX200 is an excellent sounding DAP with a very impressive DAC. You really can’t go wrong with all of the various amps to choose from. My Mojo is collecting dust in a drawer.

Very helpful. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Any specific amp recommendations? I know everyone loves the amp 4 but it’s hard to find and comes at a premium. The amp 8 is supposed to be great but relatively new so I haven’t found much on it. I’d like to try and just buy one or two at most in addition to the amp 1 it comes with.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,974 of 23,565
Congrats on the purchase! Did you buy used? 64’s been shipping the flagship universals with the premium cable included for a long time now. In the case it’s used and has the non premium looking cable, it’s earlier in the thread somewhere but the wire itself is identical. In theory there shouldn’t be any sonic difference.

Dear Bogdan,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply I really appreciate it!

Yes, it's used and I haven't received it yet. As I understand,it comes with very thing included so you must be right. Still, I was interested in the 4.4mm Pentaconn end, because I have a Sony WM1A to use it with.. In this context I put forward the question. I am assuming I have to buy a new cable with that specific termination, because I don't know how else to do it.

Anyway, you are right, I must already have the premium cable included.

And because we're at it, do you have any suggestions as to third party cables or should I just stick with the original? In general, I tend to stick with what the producer proposes, especially if it's a premium cable

Thank you!

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,975 of 23,565
Very helpful. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Any specific amp recommendations? I know everyone loves the amp 4 but it’s hard to find and comes at a premium. The amp 8 is supposed to be great but relatively new so I haven’t found much on it. I’d like to try and just buy one or two at most in addition to the amp 1 it comes with.
It really depends on what you’re looking for. I have 3, 4s and 8. All good and all different. They’re inexpensive enough to own a few for variety. Check out the DX200 thread. Tons of good info.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,976 of 23,565
Dear Bogdan,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply I really appreciate it!

Yes, it's used and I haven't received it yet. As I understand,it comes with very thing included so you must be right. Still, I was interested in the 4.4mm Pentaconn end, because I have a Sony WM1A to use it with.. In this context I put forward the question. I am assuming I have to buy a new cable with that specific termination, because I don't know how else to do it.

Anyway, you are right, I must already have the premium cable included.

And because we're at it, do you have any suggestions as to third party cables or should I just stick with the original? In general, I tend to stick with what the producer proposes, especially if it's a premium cable

Thank you!

No problem. I'll PM you sometime today.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #4,977 of 23,565
Me this weekend: smacking f5 in hopes of seeing Deezel's A6t impressions.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #4,979 of 23,565
Producing my latest church mix on them as we speak. Shouldn't be much longer now. :wink:
Using IEMs for church purposes, I see you too are a man of culture.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,980 of 23,565
Still, I was interested in the 4.4mm Pentaconn end, because I have a Sony WM1A to use it with.. In this context I put forward the question. I am assuming I have to buy a new cable with that specific termination, because I don't know how else to do it.
Congrats on the new purchase. If you don't mind me chipping in, you will like the 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced connection on the WM1A. I swapped the cable my U4-SE and I really really like it! I used Effect Audio Eros II in case you're looking at alternative upgrade cables. But I think you will get similar performance on the stock premium cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back