The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 15, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #4,981 of 23,496
Thank you, davesday !

I have been hearing about this cable and everyone seems to be quite content with its performance. I, for one, will have to wait for the IEM to reach me about 1.5 months. Until then I plan to do the burn-in for the balanced connection.

I hope I will like the U18t, I definitely have high expectations.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #4,983 of 23,496
I have been hearing about this cable and everyone seems to be quite content with its performance. I, for one, will have to wait for the IEM to reach me about 1.5 months. Until then I plan to do the burn-in for the balanced connection.
Yes, Effect Audio cables are pretty good and they can get very expensive fast. Its one of the few cables that I find have good outcomes to sonic quality while having very good microphonics and manageability. its splitter and plug can be very bulky though but you can customise that.

Do share your U18t experience and the premium cable when you finally get them. I'd like to know as well.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #4,984 of 23,496
Hey guys! As you may or may not have known, I just spent four days with my family on the beautiful island of Bali, Indonesia. T’was a brief (but immensely pleasant) vacation, and now that I’m home, I should have a couple write-ups to deliver within the next few weeks. Funnily enough, the most noteworthy development surely occurred during my very last day in Bali: My 64Audio A6t’s finally arrived! At least a couple people were fortunately home to receive the package and I’ve been listening to the IEMs for the past few days now. So, without further adieu, here are my first impressions on 64Audio’s latest mid-tier beast.

64Audio A6t (with M20 modules) - First Impressions

Before I delve into sound, I must first highlight 64Audio’s outstanding turnaround, fit and finish. I ordered these IEMs as a retail purchase (not as a review unit) through Music Sanctuary on the 15th of June and they arrived in Singapore on the 7th of July. That’s just a day over three weeks! This is the second or third shortest wait I’ve had to endure for a pair of custom IEMs - the victors in this regard being Ultimate Ears and Avara Custom - and I think it’s no coincidence that all three companies employ 3D-printing techniques. Despite limitations in fancy bespoke designs, 3D-printing represents unquestionable progress for the industry in commerciality and practicality. Now, all we have to do is wait for the day they can print out six-colour swirls and wood inlays without a hitch. :p

36823977_10156408324412482_7566495214517354496_n.jpg

Photo courtesy of Music Sanctuary

Another benefit of this technology is fit and finish. Having owned 15 custom IEMs prior to the A6t’s, I can confidently say that these are the best-built I’ve ever had. The acrylic bodies feel immensely dense and robust, and boast some of the most outstanding lustre, transparency and polish. Additionally, the A6t’s are the most detailed in shape. Every contour of the ear is preserved, such that there are zero air gaps within the canal at all times. There’s no need to push the monitors in every now and again or to wag at the lobes, neither is there any sliding or sloshing when I flex my ears. The disadvantage of this minimal smoothing is that it’s not the most relaxed or vanishingly comfortable in-ear I’ve ever worn. They're among the tightest in my collection, but it's essentially as accurate and secure as fit could possibly get without discomfort or pain. Plus, they boast some of the best isolation despite the APEX module. This is something stage musicians in particular would love and something I could strongly appreciate too.

Sound

Sonically, the A6t’s carry a unique approach towards neutral-natural. What struck me immediately was its clever balance between linearity, tone and dynamic contrast. Although the poster boys for IEMs that juggle those very attributes have been the Aether, Gemini, etc., the A6t is the first I’ve heard that emphasises vocal roundedness. While the former two boast louder presentations as a result of thick notes, vibrant upper-mids and massive energy, the A6t is more laid-back and refined; focusing its merits on a natural vocal timbre first, then building a detailed, open stage around it (rather than the other way around as has become the norm). A characteristic 1-2kHz rise adds great solidity to voices and instruments alike - apparent and appreciated on every track I heard - while the rest of the frequency response is built to complement that in several ways. Peaks along 7kHz and 10-12kHz add healthy amounts of articulation, as well as open up the stage. 64Audio's APEX and Tia technologies continue to contribute great spaciousness and headroom. As a result, the centre-midrange isn't overtly chesty. Rather, it's dense and realistic in structure, placement and tone. I wished there was more energy around 3kHz for more vibrancy and power, but that's something we'll get into further in the Phantom comparisons.

The bass is full-bodied, impactful and expertly controlled despite its accentuation. The majority of its energy sits somewhere between the mid- and sub-bass, which allows it to punch without congestion. This also means great clarity and separation in conjunction with the upper-treble peak. A significant dip along the upper-bass and lower-midrange segregates the low-end from the rest of the frequency response, but the fall is linear enough that coherency is absolutely maintained. What you get in the end is a punchy low-end that’s sufficiently cut for technical performance, but still musical in body and admirably life-like in tone. Also, the low-end's specific tuning makes it entertainingly sneaky on many occasions. Because there's minimal bloom coming from the bass, you almost forget it's there with tracks that start off slow or build to a drop. Then, when the bass does kick in, it punches beautifully; adding an almost theatrical experience to the track as a whole. It's definitely icing on the cake, but man is that icing delicious! :D

vs. the Empire Ears Phantom

Aside from the almost obvious difference that the Phantom is a warmer IEM, the clearest contrast between the two is in vocal forwardness and size. The Phantom posits larger notes that almost fill up the stage, while the A6t's instruments are slightly smaller. Much of this has to do with the Phantom's calmer treble, as well as the A6t's emphasis on the centre-midrange vs. the upper-mids. Instruments on the Phantom sound more vibrant, lively and rich, while the A6t has as great a focus on timbre as it does on precise imaging, clean transients and swift decay. One could call the Phantom more emotional, and the A6t cleaner. However, in terms of bodily resolution, the Phantom takes the cake for me. It's better at differentiating between the different hues, tones and textures that different instruments throw out, while the A6t has more of a set flavour - unquestionably a good one, but a slight flavour nonetheless. Conversely, the A6t's treble peaks give it greater refinement and finesse, as well as more apparent separation.

Like I teased previously, the Phantom is more capable in portraying vocal power. When singers belt, that force is immensely palpable. However, a key element to this quality - a 6kHz peak - has led to some complaints of stridence with certain pairings and/or tracks. On the other hand, the A6t's 6kHz dip minimises this dynamic range for smoothness's sake. So, both have vocals that excel in construction, layering and tone, with a key differentiator being raw power vs. guaranteed smoothness. The A6t is also calmer around 3kHz, which makes it - again - a touch less vibrant, but it's less prone to honky-ness than the Phantom is with select tracks. Both in-ears punch very well down low, whilst maintaining balance with the midrange and treble. The Phantom slightly betters the A6t in extension, which leads to a more visceral thump. But, they're within spitting distance in terms of physicality and robustness. The A6t's Tia driver once again gives it the edge in bass definition and separation, while the Phantom's is fuller, richer and truer in tone.

Treble is probably where they're most different, where the A6t's upper-treble peak gives it greater transient attack and crispness; sounding snappier with more crackle and pop compared to the Phantom. But, the Phantom's linearity here makes it a more natural and easy listen. Although the difference in note size isn't large between the two, the A6t's neutral treble (and upper-bass) makes it sound slightly leaner. Now thankfully, the Phantom is neither overtly thick nor is the A6t fatiguingly lean. Both are sides of the same coin, and it simply comes down to preference. If you'd like your instruments more precise and clear-cut, yet still natural in most respects, the A6t's your pick. Conversely, if you're after a more organic (but less forgiving) sonic palate, and you won't mind lesser articulation if it means hearing your favourite singers belt with full force, then the Phantom it is.

Conclusion... For Now

The 64Audio A6t with M20 modules is a beautiful all-rounder. Unlike most in the genre, it doesn't simply have a generally smooth, agreeable and sufficiently-bass-y signature. Rather, it has a unique emphasis on vocal construction and tone, which works just as magically on Charlie Puth as it does on Charlie Parker. Its midrange-first mentality provides an excellent foundation for the entire monitor to stand on, and the extremes do more than just finish the job. The bass is rounded, thick, organic and punchy, and the treble gives it more than enough space to be so whilst remaining open, airy, detailed and immovably smooth. All-in-all, it's a brilliantly balanced signature that's as natural as it is unique, and I can't wait to spend more time listening to and experimenting with one of my new favourite sub-$1500 IEMs in the industry today. :D

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,985 of 23,496
@Deezel177 I'm not sure what is better having the A6t, being in Bali or Both. Hope you had a great time, I hear it's beautiful from my Indonesian co-worker.That said, this review has already brightened up my Monday.

Based on your comparisons I'm going to go for the A6t over the Phantoms. I was already leaning towards them for a couple reasons: namely price, 3D-Fit, Apex, Tia and the Phantoms being too damn warm. I went in for another try of the universals this weekend and I gotta agree, the Phantoms lends itself to punching extremely well vocals, and to be honest a bit over powering to me.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #4,986 of 23,496
@Deezel177 I'm not sure what is better having the A6t, being in Bali or Both. Hope you had a great time, I hear it's beautiful from my Indonesian co-worker.That said, this review has already brightened up my Monday.

Based on your comparisons I'm going to go for the A6t over the Phantoms. I was already leaning towards them for a couple reasons: namely price, 3D-Fit, Apex, Tia and the Phantoms being too damn warm. I went in for another try of the universals this weekend and I gotta agree, the Phantoms lends itself to punching extremely well vocals, and to be honest a bit over powering to me.

Bali was as breathtaking as ever, but listening to and reviewing top-class IEMs in my room ain't too bad either. :p I'm glad you've finally made your decision, my friend! I'd say good luck with the wait, but considering the fact that it's 64Audio, I don't think you'll need it. :wink:

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #4,987 of 23,496
Bali was as breathtaking as ever, but listening to and reviewing top-class IEMs in my room ain't too bad either. :p I'm glad you've finally made your decision, my friend! I'd say good luck with the wait, but considering the fact that it's 64Audio, I don't think you'll need it. :wink:
It won't be a long wait once I get the funds and place order. I can customize and rush order it and it would still cost less than the Phantoms. I'm ready for that Tia goodness!

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #4,988 of 23,496
Full review of 64 Audio N8 9-driver hybrid CIEM is finished and available to read here. Will have it published on head-fi soon as well.

64audio_n8-21b.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #4,989 of 23,496
@Deezel177 Do you find the Tia single bore much easier to clear ear wax from? Ear wax removal from the narrower tubes on my A3 are a pain sometimes.

Also if its not too much to ask, more pictures of the A6t showing off its glorious innards?

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4,990 of 23,496
Full review of 64 Audio N8 9-driver hybrid CIEM is finished and available to read here. Will have it published on head-fi soon as well.

Awesome! Very curious to see how they hold up in custom form. I bet before reading it that there's gonna be a Legend X comparison too in there. :wink:

@Deezel177 Do you find the Tia single bore much easier to clear ear wax from? Ear wax removal from the narrower tubes on my A3 are a pain sometimes.

Also if its not too much to ask, more pictures of the A6t showing off its glorious innards?

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

A6tFirst-3.jpg

A6tFirst-2.jpg

A6tFirst-1.jpg

A6tFirst-4.jpg

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #4,991 of 23,496
HOHOHOOOOOO THAT LOOKS GORGEOUS
Is it just me or does the faceplate slightly curved I wonder if thats because of the faceplates.
Also, its just sinking in that Tia is literally
an opened up BA the mad geniuses at 64 put in the nozzle. Before the A6t was a thing, I remember there being a screen to protect stuff from falling into the Tia Driver, did they do this for the A6t too?

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #4,992 of 23,496
HOHOHOOOOOO THAT LOOKS GORGEOUS
Is it just me or does the faceplate slightly curved I wonder if thats because of the faceplates.
Also, its just sinking in that Tia is literally
an opened up BA the mad geniuses at 64 put in the nozzle. Before the A6t was a thing, I remember there being a screen to protect stuff from falling into the Tia Driver, did they do this for the A6t too?

Thanks! These were quick shots I did with a Foldio light box and a mustard-yellow jacket. You can rest assured that the pics on the final review will be way more attractive. :wink: The faceplates themselves aren't curved, but the lacquer on top makes it seem so. Acrylic lacquer is a slightly viscous liquid, so when applied, it forms an almost dome-like shape. This is why it looks ever-so-slightly curved when the lacquer is solidified.

Yeah, the Tia driver is placed just before the end of the nozzle. The wax guard is still there, definitely (visible on the last pic). Any debris falling into the bore would spell disaster. :p Speaking of, I just realised that I forgot to answer your question about wax cleaning. Fortunately for me, I produce less wax than most people I know and I clean my ears religiously, so it's never really been an issue. Whereas, my dad has to vacuum the bores of his A3's every few days, so wax build-up does not completely obstruct the high driver's bore. :D My dad uses a Jodi-Vac to clean his IEMs, but for Tia-equipped monitors, I'd recommend the FiR Audio VAC that @twister6 reviewed a couple weeks ago. The Jodi-Vac only has a needle or syringe-like top designed for use with typical 1-2mm sound bores, while the FiR Audio VAC has that and a top for use with wax guards (among others).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #4,993 of 23,496
Awesome! Very curious to see how they hold up in custom form. I bet before reading it that there's gonna be a Legend X comparison too in there. :wink:

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

These are gorgeous, are these white balanced with neutral color? what color would you say the wood is? Is it more towards brown? It looks almost gold to me. Are there real picture samples of the other options? Do you know if 64 audio will do the lacquerless wood faceplate? where you can straight up feel the wood grain

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #4,994 of 23,496
These are gorgeous, are these white balanced with neutral color? what color would you say the wood is? Is it more towards brown? It looks almost gold to me. Are there real picture samples of the other options? Do you know if 64 audio will do the lacquerless wood faceplate? where you can straight up feel the wood grain

White balance was set to auto, then I added some temperature and contrast in post. That - in conjunction with the white beams from my light box - made them seem more golden as you mentioned. In real life under a duller light, they're less yellow (more brown) and less bright as well. So far, I only know of my Elm Burl and @ostewart's Redwood Burl, as well as Lion's Mane on some promo shots of the A12t. I'm not aware of any others yet. I highly doubt 64Audio would offer lacquer-less wood faceplates. These look like thin inlays rather than thick scales, though it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could do something bespoke, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back