The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4,021 of 23,660
For those who had hearing experience with both Fourte and U18, how is the bottom end (bass) response differ in micro detail if any?
I love the overall smoothness of fourte but I find it somewhat too smooth and round at lower end frequency (bass), not to the extent to be problematic but
I prefer a little more sharpness.

I think you must have the Fourté confused with the U18t, I own the Fourté and have heard the U18t and the Fourté is much “sharper” you could try using a different cable or silicone tips to sharpen it up, but not much is brighter or clearer then the Fourté

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4,022 of 23,660
I think you must have the Fourté confused with the U18t, I own the Fourté and have heard the U18t and the Fourté is much “sharper” you could try using a different cable or silicone tips to sharpen it up, but not much is brighter or clearer then the Fourté

Haha did I? Yeah I agree fourte is crystal clear and sharp at upper end. For the first time I tried the stock cable and noticed it has narrowed down the sound stage quite a bit but sounded a little more sharp/thin. It could be my Prima Donna 8-wire cable which has added much of rounded smoothness. I also tried Penom cable and now appears to be at mid point but may be a little too sharp sometimes.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #4,023 of 23,660
Haha did I? Yeah I agree fourte is crystal clear and sharp at upper end. For the first time I tried the stock cable and noticed it has narrowed down the sound stage quite a bit but sounded a little more sharp/thin. It could be my Prima Donna 8-wire cable which has added much of rounded smoothness. I also tried Penom cable and now appears to be at mid point but may be a little too sharp sometimes.

I'm with you regarding bass response of Fourte vs U18 :wink:. Fourte has a DD low end performance with a slower attack, longer decay, and a smoother more analog flavor, while U18 bass is faster, with a little better layering, and more articulate in comparison to Fourte. Again, only talking about low end performance.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #4,024 of 23,660
Ahh it makes sense that you were talking about the low end, I know what you mean. It doesn’t have the quickness of a BA IEM, but it is a pretty damn fast DD

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4,026 of 23,660
Is the fourte fatiguing? Upper mid low treble spiked?
When I listen to fourte with stock wire, i felt the fatigue coming from the mids more so than the treble. There is a peak around 800 Hz that emphasizes the middle mids bringing them forward, followed by several peaks in each treble regions for the microdetails fourte is famous for. Fatigue really depends on personal tolerance to brightness and source/ cable pairing.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,027 of 23,660
Anyone here use different sized tips for right and left ears?

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #4,028 of 23,660
Woah I just got some Symbio Mandarin tips today and damn these things are great! I wonder why no one else makes hybrid foam/silicone tips, unless...do they?

Trinity audio used to do a sony hybrid type tip with foam in them if that counts.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #4,029 of 23,660
Trinity audio used to do a sony hybrid type tip with foam in them if that counts.
I think it counts. I really think it is a great combo, I almost always use foam because I like how they feel and they work well for my ears, but the combo is great

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4,030 of 23,660
Does anyone own the LX and the U18t?

Do you find that the sound is redundant? I haven't heard the U18t in a little over a month, but would you say that the sound of it kind of overlaps the sound of the LX in anyway. I remember the 18t to be much more spacious, faster, and have a overall cleaner structure while the LX is warmer, smaller stage, but still detailed

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #4,031 of 23,660
Does anyone own the LX and the U18t?

Do you find that the sound is redundant? I haven't heard the U18t in a little over a month, but would you say that the sound of it kind of overlaps the sound of the LX in anyway. I remember the 18t to be much more spacious, faster, and have a overall cleaner structure while the LX is warmer, smaller stage, but still detailed

Two different tunings, not even close. I wouldn't call LX to have a smaller stage, and differences from low end impact (LX slams a lot harder, more on a basshead level) and smoother more organic mids/treble while u18t is more revealing, brighter, and with more sparkle (courtesy of TIA driver). I think LX is better to be compared to Nate... which could happen soon :wink:

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #4,032 of 23,660
Two different tunings, not even close. I wouldn't call LX to have a smaller stage, and differences from low end impact (LX slams a lot harder, more on a basshead level) and smoother more organic mids/treble while u18t is more revealing, brighter, and with more sparkle (courtesy of TIA driver). I think LX is better to be compared to Nate... which could happen soon :wink:

You liked the U18t better then the Fourte, huh?

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,033 of 23,660
You liked the U18t better then the Fourte, huh?

Just a matter of personal sound preference and tolerance to brighter upper frequencies :wink: That's why I strongly recommend, if you are in US, to try 64 Audio loan program to hear and to compare for yourself which one will be your cup of tea (with your favorite source and genre of music). Also, Audio46 in NYC should have some on display if you are visiting Big apple.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,034 of 23,660
PS: I just swapped from the ares2 to the Rhapsodio dark knight 8 braid on the LX, and the sound sig is more similar to the U18 (as i remember it) than with the copper cable :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #4,035 of 23,660
Yes difficult without a membrane, but @64Audio is good at pushing the envelope, I think they can do it.

Maybe something exotic like a compressible liquid/gas, aerogel(always wondered how this material behaves with regard to sound since it's other properties are so incredible), etc. Then they could market it as space age too. = P I don't know how you'd do adjustable without a membrane.

I think adjustable would be possible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the sonic between the M15 and M20 is due to that the M15 has two wider air vents and the M20 has a smaller single vent, right?

If that's the case, I could see a system where the module has a twist top that adjusts the vents in an aperture-like system, kinda like a camera. Adjust the size of the air vent to your will (to whatever maximum size the vent is). Now making an adjustable aperture that small and affordable...that's another question entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back