The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,511 of 23,562
I just ordered an Ares II +

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,512 of 23,562
Thanks to everyone for you expert guidance on which DAP to use with the 18t or the Tia Fourte with a focus on classical music and small jazz ensemble. I'm going to go for the 18t. As for the WM1z vs the AK sp1000 ss or cu, it seems that the AK is likely a better match than the Sony. As to whether to get the SS or Cu, I am at a loss as I've received suggestions for both from the members of this board including a bit more uncertainty as the firmware upgrade of the SS, if I understand correctly, has moved its signature more toward a bit warmer Cu like quality. I am a bit concerned about the Cu finish durability. I expect no problem with the SS, but am, in the case of the SS, worried about a too bright high frequency range. I've read that the custom 18t softens the treble a bit vs the universal (at least I think I read that somewhere), so the SS and Custom 18t might work well. Anyway, I'm ordering a trial of the 18t (it'll come in universal for the trial) and if it's as wonderful as you all indicate for my type of listening, I'll then try the AK SS first. If it's good, I'll stop there. If it's too sibilant I'll return the AK for a copper. Does this sound reasonable? Again, thank you all. When 64A said they referenced the Sony WM1Z for their IEM's, I was afraid of going for the SP1000.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,514 of 23,562
The EA cable that immediately comes to mind to accomplish these things (add warmth through a richer bass without losing clarity) is the 4-wire Lionheart. The Janus D can also do the same with more vocal clarity, but that cable's much more expensive and less ergonomic (because of its default 8-wire format).

So let me clarify: Lionheart does not reduce detail and clarity, nor does it increase it compared to the stock cable. It does add richer bass though. Janus D does not decrease detail and clarity, and does indeed add midrange clarity a bit. And increases bass richness. And neither cable affects treble. (For 1000 USD you get clearer vocals, and a thicker (more uncomfortable) cable)

Am I right in this summary?

And which has better bass richness -- Janus or Lionheart?

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #3,515 of 23,562
So let me clarify: Lionheart does not reduce detail and clarity, nor does it increase it compared to the stock cable. It does add richer bass though. Janus D does not decrease detail and clarity, and does indeed add midrange clarity a bit. And increases bass richness. And neither cable affects treble. (For 1000 USD you get clearer vocals, and a thicker (more uncomfortable) cable)

Am I right in this summary?

And which has better bass richness -- Janus or Lionheart?

Well, I haven't heard 64Audio's specific stock cable, but I do find it an improvement over the common Plastics One stock cable. The Janus D is as you describe, but with the added headroom, transparency and spatial expansion of an 8-wire cable as well - due to a more-extended treble. Of course, the couple of lines I gave you were very brief summaries of my full thoughts. I recommend you check out my review of the 8-wire Lionheart to illustrate the general differences between 4-wire and 8-wire cables here: http://theheadphonelist.com/effect-audio-8-wire-lionheart-the-golden-fleece/ Then, look forward to my CanJam article where I'll be writing my impressions of the U6t, N8t, U12t and both Janus cables. The Lionheart has the richer bass due to its more butter-y response, while the Janus D has better bass resolution and layering because of its superior treble extension.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #3,516 of 23,562
Thanks! I've read that lionheart review already (well written review, btw), and from that it did not seem like the 8 wire lionheart is a good option for the u18, instead I'd go with the 4 wire with its liquid specialness (treble spikes and thinness from the 8 wire seem scary things to pay 1000+ USD for). But then again, from your description of Janus D, it sounds like the superior option to lionheart 4 wire, because of increased soundstage. (No mention of treble peakiness and sound thinness witht he Janus yet). Would you say that the Janus D handles treble and note thickness better for the tzar, compared to the 8 wire lionheart -- the Golden Fleece :) -- then?

(Pecise communication on these topics can be pretty funny, huh)

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,517 of 23,562
Thanks! I've read that lionheart review already (well written review, btw), and from that it did not seem like the 8 wire lionheart is a good option for the u18, instead I'd go with the 4 wire with its liquid specialness (treble spikes and thinness from the 8 wire seem scary things to pay 1000+ USD for). But then again, from your description of Janus D, it sounds like the superior option to lionheart 4 wire, because of increased soundstage. (No mention of treble peakiness and sound thinness witht he Janus yet). Would you say that the Janus D handles treble and note thickness better for the tzar, compared to the 8 wire lionheart -- the Golden Fleece :) -- then?

(Pecise communication on these topics can be pretty funny, huh)

Ah, thank you! :D Yes, I'd agree that the 4-wire Lionheart would make a much better pair with the U18t than the 8-wire variant would. The Janus D is clear and refined, but much smoother and warmer tonally than the 8-wire Lionheart. I should be posting the article within a day or two, so it won't take long before my thoughts hit the web. :wink:

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,518 of 23,562
Is the Lionheart like a baby Leonidas?

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #3,519 of 23,562
Is the Lionheart like a baby Leonidas?

No, the two are very different tonally. The Lioheart is midrange-focused with greater body due to its warmer bass response, as well as a refined-yet-articulate treble. The Leonidas's low-end is growly and visceral because of a sub-bass emphasis, its midrange is laid-back and neutral in tone, and a peak in the lower-treble gives it a crispness that the Lionheart chooses to forgo.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,520 of 23,562
That’s great info, I guess I thought they were both sort of similar with one being more subtle, but similar sounding.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #3,521 of 23,562
Is it still really soft and flexible?
If you are looking for the flexibility of the Leonidas, you might find the Ares II+ a little too stiff. I did and think I would have preferred the Ares II. IMO

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,522 of 23,562
Shoot. Well it's too late now, as long as it doesn't make a lot of noise when it drags against my clothing it is flexible enough.

Apr 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #3,525 of 23,562
Well, I haven't heard 64Audio's specific stock cable, but I do find it an improvement over the common Plastics One stock cable. The Janus D is as you describe, but with the added headroom, transparency and spatial expansion of an 8-wire cable as well - due to a more-extended treble. Of course, the couple of lines I gave you were very brief summaries of my full thoughts. I recommend you check out my review of the 8-wire Lionheart to illustrate the general differences between 4-wire and 8-wire cables here: http://theheadphonelist.com/effect-audio-8-wire-lionheart-the-golden-fleece/ Then, look forward to my CanJam article where I'll be writing my impressions of the U6t, N8t, U12t and both Janus cables. The Lionheart has the richer bass due to its more butter-y response, while the Janus D has better bass resolution and layering because of its superior treble extension.

Hi. Thats interesting. In what way did you find it an improvement over the common plastics one stock cable? Sometime back Jack Vang made a reference about companies "throwing a upcharge or packing in some massed produce junk and labeling it as “premium” " while promoting EE's collaboration with EA, which you also seem to have much experience with given your constant reference to whenever a cable suggestion is asked for. Given my limited experience in audio, I frankly cant think of too many companies, 64 being one of them, that offer something other than stock plastics one cables. So is this 64 upgraded cable a genuine upgrade cable, or a simple rebranded cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back