The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #3,543 of 23,565
Forte = Beyerdynamic T1 with good bass

A18t = Utopia
I would say Fourte is more like Final D8000 or Audio Technica ADX5000 than T1. Great and authentic bass, smooth and sexy mid with super resolving high without going sibilant.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #3,544 of 23,565
Just got home from SoCal CanJam and guess what?!? I won the A12t giveaway! Sorry don't mean to brag in any way. I'm absolutely shocked. In fact it probably didn't even look like I was excited to win when they announced it because i couldn't believe it. Feel free to ignore my following blabber, but i'm so excited and I want to share the story about how I even ended up at the 64 Table and why i am SO shocked I am going to own these...

I have been an over-ear headphone enthusiast for a couple years now, but never really got into IEMs... until last year's CanJam when i listened to the Tia Fourte and it was the best sound I had ever heard after the Sennhieser HE1. 64 Audio made me a believer in IEMs, but they were waaay out of my price range.

I went to CanJam today with a strict budget looking for a nice affordable upgrade to my Westone W30 so 64 Audio wasn't even on my radar. I am getting married in two months and it would be very irresponsible for me to empty what's left of my savings on this hobby right now (damn weddings are expensive in Los Angeles!).

I spent a good portion of the day listening to the Westone W60 ($750 at CanJam), UE 18+ ($900 at CanJam, over my budget) and UE Reference Remastered ($599 at CanJam). I was leaning towards the UE Reference, but they were just a touch bright in the treble and I worried they'd become fatiguing after long listening sessions. Otherwise i really enjoyed them and they were more engaging and dynamic to me than the UE18+ (which weren't bad at all, but maybe too neutral and sterile for me). These were all at the very top of my budget so even at the great CanJam prices I was hesitant to pull the trigger and was tempted to just live with my W30.

On my way out I was walking past 64 Audio and said why the heck not I'm here i might as well stop by, plug my iPhoneX into my Mojo and have a listen just for fun. Before I sat down I just had to ask, "hey by any chance do you guys have anything under $1,000?" They politely said no. However they were kind enough to let me know I could enter to win a free A12t in the drawing they were having in 10 minutes and that would be under $1,000 they joked. I entered the drawing and proceeded to give the U12t a listen and was immediately blown away. Right before the drawing began I took the U12t out of my ears and told the guys that with all due respect to the other IEMs I had heard today and enjoyed, 64 Audio is just on another level. I was actually a little frustrated because I knew the other IEMs were now going to be greatly lacking by comparison. I really don't mean to put Westone or UE down at all... I had great experiences at both booths and was damn close to purchasing either today, but the U12t just sounded leagues ahead, like a completely different technology that had somehow achieved the secret recipe to my perfect sound characteristics.

A couple minutes later the drawing begins. After more than 30 people gather around (and i'm still sitting front and center at the table looking up and wondering what i'm even doing there), the guys from 64 Audio announce that the first spin will be for a 64 Audio t-shirt... you could hear the collective gasp of everyone waiting in anticipation for the real prize. A young lady won the t-shirt and then the stakes got high. As the iPad they used to run the drawing displayed the rapidly spinning random order of attendee names, I was wondering to myself "hmmm did I even remember to press the submit button for this contest?" And then it suddenly stopped on my name. Not like i won the lotto or anything, but it was absolutely surreal. For some reason first reaction was actually to bashfully laugh and sincerely apologize to the crowd who I'm sure hated my guts at that moment. The guys form 64 Audio immediately asked me for my ID and email address as proof. I think they shared in my amazement that the guy who literally just sat down and clearly couldn't afford to be at their table won the contest. I gave enormous thanks to the guys and snapped a quick photo with them. The only (very minor) downer was because they are custom I didn't get to walk out with my shiny new toy, rather I have a redemption code to order online.

If you got this far thanks for reading. I'm still in shock and feel so lucky to be a part of the 64 Audio family!

I feel extremely fortunate and spoiled because I really am new to IEMs. So if anyone has any advice for me before I place my A12t order i'm all ears. Thus far I think I'm going with the M15 module (i don't need excess bass and i like a wide soundstage), teak or wenge wood faceplate, black shell, 64 Audio logo (left)/A12t logo (right) both in gold.
IMG_1944.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #3,545 of 23,565
Just got home from SoCal CanJam and guess what?!? I won the A12t giveaway! Sorry don't mean to brag in any way. I'm absolutely shocked. In fact it probably didn't even look like I was excited to win when they announced it because i couldn't believe it. Feel free to ignore my following blabber, but i'm so excited and I want to share the story about how I even ended up at the 64 Table and why i am SO shocked I am going to own these...

I have been an over-ear headphone enthusiast for a couple years now, but never really got into IEMs... until last year's CanJam when i listened to the Tia Fourte and it was the best sound I had ever heard after the Sennhieser HE1. 64 Audio made me a believer in IEMs, but they were waaay out of my price range.

I went to CanJam today with a strict budget looking for a nice affordable upgrade to my Westone W30 so 64 Audio wasn't even on my radar. I am getting married in two months and it would be very irresponsible for me to empty what's left of my savings on this hobby right now (damn weddings are expensive in Los Angeles!).

I spent a good portion of the day listening to the Westone W60 ($750 at CanJam), UE 18+ ($900 at CanJam, over my budget) and UE Reference Remastered ($599 at CanJam). I was leaning towards the UE Reference, but they were just a touch bright in the treble and I worried they'd become fatiguing after long listening sessions. Otherwise i really enjoyed them and they were more engaging and dynamic to me than the UE18+ (which weren't bad at all, but maybe too neutral and sterile for me). These were all at the very top of my budget so even at the great CanJam prices I was hesitant to pull the trigger and was tempted to just live with my W30.

On my way out I was walking past 64 Audio and said why the heck not I'm here i might as well stop by, plug my iPhoneX into my Mojo and have a listen just for fun. Before I sat down I just had to ask, "hey by any chance do you guys have anything under $1,000?" They politely said no. However they were kind enough to let me know I could enter to win a free A12t in the drawing they were having in 10 minutes and that would be under $1,000 they joked. I entered the drawing and proceeded to give the U12t a listen and was immediately blown away. Right before the drawing began I took the U12t out of my ears and told the guys that with all due respect to the other IEMs I had heard today and enjoyed, 64 Audio is just on another level. I was actually a little frustrated because I knew the other IEMs were now going to be greatly lacking by comparison. I really don't mean to put Westone or UE down at all... I had great experiences at both booths and was damn close to purchasing either today, but the U12t just sounded leagues ahead, like a completely different technology that had somehow achieved the secret recipe to my perfect sound characteristics.

A couple minutes later the drawing begins. After more than 30 people gather around (and i'm still sitting front and center at the table looking up and wondering what i'm even doing there), the guys from 64 Audio announce that the first spin will be for a 64 Audio t-shirt... you could hear the collective gasp of everyone waiting in anticipation for the real prize. A young lady won the t-shirt and then the stakes got high. As the iPad they used to run the drawing displayed the rapidly spinning random order of attendee names, I was wondering to myself "hmmm did I even remember to press the submit button for this contest?" And then it suddenly stopped on my name. Not like i won the lotto or anything, but it was absolutely surreal. For some reason first reaction was actually to bashfully laugh and sincerely apologize to the crowd who I'm sure hated my guts at that moment. The guys form 64 Audio immediately asked me for my ID and email address as proof. I think they shared in my amazement that the guy who literally just sat down and clearly couldn't afford to be at their table won the contest. I gave enormous thanks to the guys and snapped a quick photo with them. The only (very minor) downer was because they are custom I didn't get to walk out with my shiny new toy, rather I have a redemption code to order online.

If you got this far thanks for reading. I'm still in shock and feel so lucky to be a part of the 64 Audio family!

I feel extremely fortunate and spoiled because I really am new to IEMs. So if anyone has any advice for me before I place my A12t order i'm all ears. Thus far I think I'm going with the M15 module (i don't need excess bass and i like a wide soundstage), teak or wenge wood faceplate, black shell, 64 Audio logo (left)/A12t logo (right) both in gold.
And there I was standing near you hoping nobody would respond so the drawing gets redone.

Congrats and enjoy the 12.

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #3,546 of 23,565
That's great story to read!! Thanks for sharing.
And big Congrats!!!!!

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #3,547 of 23,565
That's great story to read!! Thanks for sharing.
And big Congrats!!!!!

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #3,549 of 23,565
Been trying out dx200 amp3 with the u18. I generally use the amp4 but I got a 2.5 cable and thought it would be a good chance to try a different sound for the U18 -- the more analogue, forgiving, low end and thicker mids oriented take on balanced audio that the amp3 provides. While the amp3 was pretty great with JH audio Laylas -- heavy hitting, detailed -- I can not recommend it with the u18. The u18 wants the amp to provide it with as much detail, separation and clarity as possible, so it can do its thing. That thing is to take all of it and represent it, with no loss and no bottlenecks. Plus add just a bit of warmth to the low end. This works very well with the extremely holographic and detailed amp4, the combination is pretty much heavenly, a little mids thickness is missing for some recordings. (nothing a bit of cable rolling won't fix, I hope). With amp3 the u18 just becomes... a regular IEM. Very pleasant and detailed all around, but not the mind boggling hologram theater the amp4 + u18 duo provides. Even switching from the m20 to the m15 module doesn't help a lot, although darker sounding amps certainly make it more of an option than the less forgiving amp4.

So, if there is a note thickness problem with the u18 -- which I sometimes get -- I do not believe it can be solved by feeding them a more analogue-tuned signal, at least not amp3.

tl;dr -- u18 and dx200 amp3 are not a good match imo.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,550 of 23,565

Great story, indeed! Btw, you will get both M15 and M20 with U12t/A12t, it's part of standard included accessories.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,551 of 23,565
Great story, indeed! Btw, you will get both M15 and M20 with U12t/A12t, it's part of standard included accessories.
What abt the n8t? I'm looking at it instead of the vantage after the whole ee fiasco

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #3,552 of 23,565
What abt the n8t? I'm looking at it instead of the vantage after the whole ee fiasco

I’ll post my N8t impressions here tomorrow. I wanted to post my CJ article today, but I found it best to keep Nic’s statement up on the site a bit longer. Though, there’s nothing wrong with posting impressions here a little early. :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,555 of 23,565
@weissja36 That is a great story, man, Congrats! I am listening to my A12t and I have to say that you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back