The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 3, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3,467 of 23,663
no u10, it was discontinued a while ago. still shows up in b stock form. I believe the n8t will be similarly priced but that will be custom only. I doubt 64 Audio will stop making Universal's of the lower price models
I have a U10 up for sale if interested!

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #3,468 of 23,663
Penon OS849 cable arrived. I read a comment saying it bridges the gap between the m15 and m 20 modules (for U18), and a professional review that said it's on par with full silver cables.

It's pretty rubbish, actually. Doesn't sound like a silver cable at all. It's actually less detailed and more blurry than a pentaconn terminated 64 audio stock cable (OSC copper). Warm, chubby -- pretty big detail loss and soundstage shrinkage for the U18. There are other things off with it too, like the ergonomics, and smell. :D (Got that factory burnt rubber odor)

I don't regret buying it or anything. Wasn't all that expensive, but yeah -- if you're strapped for cash and not up for experimenting, take this as a down-vote. Especially for using with the U18.

Everything you described above: blurry, less detailed, soundstage shrinkage - all sounds like a phasing effect due to a reversed 2 pin connector. OS849 doesn't have a memory wire, so you can flip it either way. Red/Blue id is Right/Left sides. Next, look at the plastic mold at the base of the connector. The notch should be pointing out on both when you wear iems. Is that how you have it now with a sound you are describing above? If it is, take either left or right side, and flip 2pin connector 180deg, so that notch is pointing inside, but only on one earpiece. Let me know if it sounds better now.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #3,469 of 23,663
I was told by friends that @ NAAM they had all the new tia models that ranged from their 2 drivers all the way to the u18, all in universal and custom versions besides the forte and trio.

Some of those are special universal units made specifically for the shows so that people can audition it. They even had a special modular cable at NYC for people to try different balanced and single ended terminations, depending on a DAP. No other way to demo custom units :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #3,470 of 23,663
Question: 64 Audio says they referenced their 18t and tia fourte to the Sony WM1Z. I have neither the WM1Z nor the AK SP1000. I expect that after demoing the two IEMs, I'll end up with the A18t, but I simply don't know what to do about the WM1Z vs the AK SP1000. I'm interested in classical music primarily piano and small jazz ensemble. 64Audio recommended that I would do best with the A18t. I expect that is correct even before I've heard them, but I don't have a clue regarding the Sony vs AK and don't really have a place I can trial them. Any thoughts on this? I'm not a bass head. I seek clarity, detail, air, spaciousness, accurate and heart moving beauty. Is that too much to ask? I love listening to my Utopias with the ALO CV5, but I'm looking for a good truly portable solution.
Thanks so very much.

Are you trying to decide which one to buy, either SP1000 or WM1Z? I mean, they pair up great with any source, but tonality will vary depending on the synergy with a source.

All three are great and trully deserve a flagship status. I had to send CU demo back, still got SS and WM1Z with me for now. A&K recently updated their fw from 1.06 to 1.07, and SS sound changed noticeably (not as wide soundstage, more on par with CU model, and the sound is a little smoother, closer to CU tonality but not as full bodied). I don't know how fw1.07 sounds with CU, but even with fw1.06, CU had a very natural tonality, a little warmer and fuller body in mids when compared to SS. I don't want to get into a debate about chassis/frame material, to my ears there is a difference in sound between CU vs SS.

sp1kss_vs_wm1z-07.jpg

Now, between SP1000 SS w/ fw1.07 and WM1Z w/ fw2.0 (both latest firmwares), there are more similarities between SS and 1Z models, except 1Z has more sub-bass rumble and a little stronger mid-bass impact, using U18t w/M20. Based on your requirements, I'm leaning more to suggest SP1000 SS.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #3,472 of 23,663
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #3,473 of 23,663
I don’t know why people are so eager to “upgrade” cables without analyzing the sound first. Listen to many sources and genres. The manufacture spent great deal of time and effort to create its sound signature. Sure, your source affects, but still give it a chance. If eventually the signarture isn’t to your liking, then ask yourself: “What am I missing here?”

More highs? Go silver. But remember, it may turn glaring, even overbearingly so.

The bottom is too thin? Opt for copper. Still, that initial smoothness may end up mawkish.

Just wish to “open” the sound? Choose silver coated copper. You may not detect any difference, especially if the stock cable is SCP.

Be wise. Don’t throw hundreds or thousands of dollars on cables. Remember: TPU loves to turn green…cables don’t last long in general. Look for value.

Finally, an audiophile can easily morph into an audiofool. Look at digital cables. People spend thousands of dollars on cables that merely transmit zeroes and ones, swearing that special silver mined in the mountains of Chile improves the sound so much…lol.

Maybe i could do this...
maybe it could be an excellent business :thinking:

:dt880smile: in my personal experience...stock cable is great to U18t, none of the upgrades i tried works better than the original cable

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #3,475 of 23,663
So guys... my previous iem was U12 and in my plan is to upgrade to U12T. My kind of music is mostly EDM, Top40, hiphop. I'm confused whether to buy u12T or Tia Trio. Which one is much better for my music? Thanks.

U12t of course.

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #3,476 of 23,663
So guys... my previous iem was U12 and in my plan is to upgrade to U12T. My kind of music is mostly EDM, Top40, hiphop. I'm confused whether to buy u12T or Tia Trio. Which one is much better for my music? Thanks.

The U12t is probably the more suitable upgrade, because it retains the U12's rumbly sub-bass, but adds some vocal presence and a significant amount of top-end clarity and air because of the Tia driver. Though, if you want to maintain the original U12's fullness, richness and weight, then the N8t is a great choice as well.

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #3,478 of 23,663
This might help.

According to your description, I recommend SP1000Cu.
I can actually recommend him the SS, if he looks the ultimate resolution, clarity, air & spaciousness.

But, if the A18 is a little bit edgy and very airy and detailed (I've never listened to it), then the CU model can be a nicely balanced match and I personally liked the CU more because I love warmness and organic presentation.

However to me the king of the organic sound reproduction is the WM1Z.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,479 of 23,663
Everything you described above: blurry, less detailed, soundstage shrinkage - all sounds like a phasing effect due to a reversed 2 pin connector. OS849 doesn't have a memory wire, so you can flip it either way. Red/Blue id is Right/Left sides. Next, look at the plastic mold at the base of the connector. The notch should be pointing out on both when you wear iems. Is that how you have it now with a sound you are describing above? If it is, take either left or right side, and flip 2pin connector 180deg, so that notch is pointing inside, but only on one earpiece. Let me know if it sounds better now.
holy crap it works. I honestly can't believe why a cable company can make it wrong. I flipped the left side first and it became worst, then I reversed them and found the culprit on the right. Now it sounds much better than before. I certainly will take more time to listen to this cable ( and even more after i received my dx200 amp4)

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #3,480 of 23,663

Yeah i’d Recommend the U12t, it does most genres well and has a gnarly bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back