The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #2,716 of 23,568
There are quite a few nice cables that offer excellent value at an affordable price range. I think $150 cables like the PW Audio no 5, HanSound Zen, and Effect Audio Ares II are especially suitable for people that are hesitant in making the first step into cable territory, if not just to get some firsthand experience. Of those 3, the no 5 is the warmest, Zen is lightly warm but smooth, and while still warmish, Ares II has more of a lift in the lower treble. There are numerous cases where I even prefer the synergy with some iems over 1K or even 2K cables, as basic coppers tend to offer a nice timbre, even though they don't match the resolution of silver alloy cables. Likewise, it is also possible that some might prefer the sound of the stock cable, as it also has its own advantages. In the end it comes down to what kind of sound you're looking for, which has no direct relation with the price of the cable (although performance usually does, or at least should).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #2,717 of 23,568
There are quite a few nice cables that offer excellent value at an affordable price range. I think $150 cables like the PW Audio no 5, HanSound Zen, and Effect Audio Ares II are especially suitable for people that are hesitant in making the first step into cable territory, if not just to get some firsthand experience. .

How would you describe the effect these have on the soundstage?

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #2,718 of 23,568
How would you describe the effect these have on the soundstage?

If you scroll down to the cable section of my U18t review, I talk about the effect of Ares II, No5, Zen, and a number of other cables.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #2,719 of 23,568
Thnx 2 @tim0chan & @ayang02 !

I got one pack of Comply SmartCore to test them out and I really like the comfort but you loose a lot of warmth and the treble becomes a bit aggressive (which IMHO doesn't suit the U18t..) so I will probably use them on the LCD-i4.

..but the Symbio W are in the house:
Symbio.jpg Symbio1.jpg

And they are matchy-matchy with the U18t. :ksc75smile:
Apart from the color matching, I quite like what I hear.. really nice comfort, the sound is a touch warmer but really smooth. Big thnx to Csaba from MandarinEs, great and very fast service, the product is top-noch for a hand made product!

So far with the U18t I quite like the Ortofon and Comply (Tx500, not the Smart Core!)

I still have to try out: Crystalline Audio, Final Audio Type E and Spiral Dots..

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,724 of 23,568
Received my A18 and I'm really enjoying them.. need to break them in more.. Should it come with a premium cable? I got a regular cable...

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,725 of 23,568
They do not come with premium cables, only the U series does. The inside of the standard cable included with them is the same as the premium, the only difference is the connectors.

Also, the Ares II+ with mine is great. Adds a lot of analog weight down low.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,726 of 23,568
They do not come with premium cables, only the U series does. The inside of the standard cable included with them is the same as the premium, the only difference is the connectors.

Also, the Ares II+ with mine is great. Adds a lot of analog weight down low.

Looks like I'll be getting this cable.. the next time it goes on sale lol

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2,727 of 23,568
Hey guys, anyone has experienced or knowledge about one side of the monitor feeling tighter and deeper than the other side? I feel the left monitor A18 has a tighter / deeper fitting than the right one, and that feeling didn't really go away after two months since I received it. It doesn't distort the sound, but that imbalanced feeling in terms of fit is a bit annoying. I found myself constantly either pushing in the looser feeling side or loosening the tighter feeling side in order to achieve a even fitting. I just sent an email to the 64 audio guys, and pretty sure about getting a good response from them. But interested to see if anyone has similar experience to share. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #2,728 of 23,568
Probably your ear?

I would assume the shells are CNC machined or extruded(?), so there shouldn't be much variance between the two?

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #2,730 of 23,568
Hi, I currently use Noble K-10U as my IEMs. I listen to a lot of punk, ska, hardcore, thrash related genres. Which 64 universal would one recommend for me? I am partial to bass slam and a warm sound.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back