The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 7, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #2,701 of 23,720
I been a little more than a week now, and I find that my A18t overall sound quality is noticeable more alive, excited, definition and bass impacts at high-gain output. Even though I use only 60% of the volume most of time at low-gain. Now I'm at 40% volume most of time at high gain.

Another thing I also notice is that I'm getting low bass quantity at low volume in low-gain output with my WM1A player. Rise volume higher helps a lot. I don't have this same problem when I'm in high-gain output at all.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #2,702 of 23,720
I been a little more than a week now, and I find that my A18t overall sound quality is noticeable more alive, excited, definition and bass impacts at high-gain output. Even though I use only 60% of the volume most of time at low-gain. Now I'm at 40% volume most of time at high gain.

Another thing I also notice is that I'm getting low bass quantity at low volume in low-gain output with my WM1A player. Rise volume higher helps a lot. I don't have this same problem when I'm in high-gain output at all.

Can you clarify if you think the bass quantity is better in low-gain output or high-gain output?

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #2,703 of 23,720
Bass quantity is about the same at same high volume level. High-gain output bass is a bit more punchier and kick harder. Hopefully this help.

The problem is with Low-gain output, I have to increase volume to about 45% or more just to get decent amount of bass.

For MP3 and FLAC, I like how high-gain output almost makes everything equivalent to high-res. Most low-res tracks sound a bit too blend and flat IMO.
For High-res songs, stay with low-gain is better because everything are already spot on and natural. Sub bass is deeper and better extend. 24bits tracks with high-gain output will boost a bit high-mid and high. This make overall sound signature a bit more colorized which could be a bit overwhelming for some. This reminded me a bit of Tia Fourte.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #2,704 of 23,720
With medium comply tips the fourte feels quite comfortable. No issue having it for hours and hours, but in terms of sound comparing to A18
I find it less resolving. The bass sounds more smooth but definitely round, so less fatiguing but I seems to get more detail (piercing treble and tighter bass)
on A18 This may be a limitation of universal IEM but this is contrary to what I have been hearing about the fourte on this forum.

Not sure, if this is because I had my A18 customized to bring down the bass about 5 decibel down using the extra resisters.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2,705 of 23,720
Thinking about replacing my constantly breaking down Laylas with the Trio. The Fourte seems too extreme reference and I'm afraid of thin brightness. Plus, you know, I'm not made of money. But I'm having a hard time understanding what the Trio is in this lineup. And how it would compare to the Layla for example...

any words of advice anyone? Looks to me like a Fourte with a less ultra-wide soundstage, a little more rounded treble and bigger bass, yet less microdetail.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,706 of 23,720
Thinking about replacing my constantly breaking down Laylas with the Trio. The Fourte seems too extreme reference and I'm afraid of thin brightness. Plus, you know, I'm not made of money. But I'm having a hard time understanding what the Trio is in this lineup. And how it would compare to the Layla for example...

any words of advice anyone? Looks to me like a Fourte with a less ultra-wide soundstage, a little more rounded treble and bigger bass, yet less microdetail.
https://twister6.com/2017/11/21/64-audio-tia-trio-and-u12-tia/amp/

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2,707 of 23,720
Quite disappointed over delay of the u12t. Pre ordered during dec. Was hoping for good news from music sanctuary, who knows they msg me today and told me that the shipment today did not include any u12t and it was completely oos. Wonder what seems to be the problem? Even my hiby r6 arrived today.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,708 of 23,720
With medium comply tips the fourte feels quite comfortable. No issue having it for hours and hours, but in terms of sound comparing to A18
I find it less resolving. The bass sounds more smooth but definitely round, so less fatiguing but I seems to get more detail (piercing treble and tighter bass)
on A18 This may be a limitation of universal IEM but this is contrary to what I have been hearing about the fourte on this forum.

Not sure, if this is because I had my A18 customized to bring down the bass about 5 decibel down using the extra resisters.
From memory, Fourte is brighter than A18. Bass and treble balance each other out; if you lower the bass, the treble will automatically become brighter.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #2,709 of 23,720

I don't have Layla but I can tell you that microdetail and soundstage on Trio is between u12t and u18 tzar. Great Tia high, very natural tones and biggest dynamic bass out of all 4 others 64 audio IEM's. Sometimes I think bass is more than enough on my A18t with M20 and Trio still have a bit more.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #2,710 of 23,720
I don't have Layla but I can tell you that microdetail and soundstage on Trio is between u12t and u18 tzar. Great Tia high, very natural tones and biggest dynamic bass out of all 4 others 64 audio IEM's. Sometimes I think bass is more than enough on my A18t with M20 and Trio still have a bit more.

Thanks for the inf man! But I've gone and put all my savings and indeed some I don't have (gonna be an interesting time paying the customs man :D) on a u18 tzar. Both the trio and fourte had too much of the word "brightness" in the reviews. I love glamorous treble but sibilance that makes poor -- or even average -- recordings unlistenable is, to me, the great bane of hifi. Who wants to only listen to binaural cymbal choirs and jazz for the rest of their lives? So the tzar's more laid back treble and especially its replacable modules, one of which I've heard is downright "forgiving", felt like more of an end all solution for someone who likes rock. I think the fourte is for people who already have a more forgiving daily driver like the noble k10 to complement the extreme hifi sound. Another thing that put me off fourte were comparisons to hd800, a headphone absolutely cannot stand listening to for more than 3 minutes. That treble drills a hole in my ears.

Regarding trio-rumours, these warning signs were reduced, but so was the soundstage. Everyone just said it was smaller than Tzar and Fourte -- the main thing that made me feel as though 64 have pushed iem's forward a notch was the reporting of record sized soundstages. And, yeah, it also just came down to the tzar having like 6 gushing reviews on head fi, from old timers comparing it to Abyss and LCD4 and beautiful women. :D

Trio only has these really techical sounding comparison reviews like the twister one.. And in the end, it was a horrible weekend for Bob here and I feel like I needed something truly miraculous to pull out of it, which the Trio just didn't seem to be.

Now I'm a poor man again, just like when I was young. The burden of money and years has been lifted off my shoulders!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,711 of 23,720

Nice to hear more info on the trio's.

It came down to a decision between the U12t vs Trio vs U18t/Fourte . I feel confident I made the right choice with the Trio's, dynamic bass is way too important for the music I listen to. Can not wait to have these in my ears to listen.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,712 of 23,720
The reviews are always subjective. I've had fourte for over 2 weeks on sp1000 and didn't find it bright at all. Except for some what of roundness on bottom end (bass) I had no issue with its treble, definitely no sibilance.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #2,713 of 23,720
I have had my A18'S for about a month now and can't believe how comfortable they are, I was listening to them for over 6 hours straight with no fatigue or anything.

I also have a question is there a big difference between the m15 and m20 I'm not really picking up to much of a difference at all?

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #2,715 of 23,720
Sorry also just wondering if the sp1000 is a significant upgrade over the mojo and ak70 combination.

It's a *very* significant upgrade. The soundstage on the mojo is downright puny imo, I've always disliked the mojo's amp section. Plus, after years of being a stack guy, a single body solution is just so much... nicer. But if you're on the fence about the sp1000 why not get a cheaper totl player? Both the Opus #3 and DX200 w amp module 3 will give you the same level of drastic improvement in soundstage and separation, airiness, treble and ease of use. With money to spare for a cable. The SP1000 is not better, per say, than dx200 or even the ak380. It's just different. Would I prefer it to dx200? Probably. Would I pay 3 times as much -- no way.

Can't be 100% sure about the dx200 / tzar synergy yet -- still waiting for my tzar. I've heard people say the soundstage is record wide and there are no discernable faults. The dx200 is an amazing machine, I have no doubt it will be a gorgeous combination. Regarding opus #3, there are reviews out there suggesting it's one of the all time best combos with the tzar. Some kind of tonality match that's quite sepcial.

Would money be spent better on a new cable if so are there any recommendations under around the $500 mark?

Also interested in this -- good cables in normal price range. I think it was headfonia that said the pw audio no5 cable was supposed to be a good combo at a normal price, and that generally copper is the way to go.

https://music-sanctuary.com/products/pwaudio-5th-anniversary-no-5-occ-copper-litz-cable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back