The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #2,671 of 23,600
Yes, the cable they use is that way, it is very annoying.

The cable conector of my previously u18 broke and later found out other diffects on the right side unit's bore. I ending up returning them, all those things plus my issue with the lack of bass despite the 8 low drives with many songs of my collection force me to decide to retun them, for 3k I expected better.

I hope the revised version of the u8 fairs better.

I still don't get it how the u18 was very inconsistent on the low frequencies, some songs -amazing bass- many other just disappointing lows.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,672 of 23,600
Yes, the cable they use is that way, it is very annoying.

The cable conector of my previously u18 broke and later found out other diffects on the right side unit's bore. I ending up returning them, all those things plus my issue with the lack of bass despite the 8 low drives with many songs of my collection force me to decide to retun them, for 3k I expected better.

I hope the revised version of the u8 fairs better.

I still don't get it how the u18 was very inconsistent on the low frequencies, some songs -amazing bass- many other just disappointing lows.
Do you have a good seal on your U18 ? You are the first person said don't like it.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #2,673 of 23,600
Yep, good seal.

Maybe I was expecting something similar to my u8 on the low end and if possible slightly better but no, some songs were fine, others no.

Almost as if songs that use a particular low frequency and the drives that were responsible for then, on both side units, were barely doing anything.

If I tired to compensate with eq, even little on the 200hz and bellow, they started to distort horribly. I even bought the mojo because they provided the best audio but still, the bass was lacking with many songs. A pitty because when they did work, it was something to behold.

Mids and high were pure perfection, no complains with them and if I wanted to eq them, they never distort.

Maybe I got a super defective unit with the broken connector, defective finish on one side units bore, lacking lows on some frequencies on both units... It was too much to bear for 3k.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,674 of 23,600
I also wasn't a fan of the U18 bass, but in a different way - too much mid bass and not enough sub bass. The rest of its tuning was pretty even to me, except for a slightly elevated treble. Everything was on a large, well- imaged, and very detailed stage, but its tuning was not to my liking.

Fourte's tuning was better for me, great sub bass and vocals were less recessed, and though I feared its treble would be too elevated for me, it was never sibilant or sharp, being very smooth and detailed and allowing for some very holographic imaging. Fourte's DD just strengthened my disposition toward DD bass and it's much more organic heft - BAs sound gassy in comparison (from what I've heard so far at least). But then mids lacked a bit of body - not necessarily recessed but they lacked a certain weight to them.

Both great IEMs in their own right but neither one is for me. And that price... I most certainly don't see the value. Unless it's in the subjective way where they are tuned so much to your own personal preferences that they could cost $10k and you'd still get them, sure. Or... if you're loaded lol.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,675 of 23,600
Interesting. I preferred the U18 over the Forte for reasons of the treble and mids, but I agree, bass wasn't the best I've heard and Forte's sounds more defined, but in less quantity as well. U18's bass has a bit of rounded bass sound and decays softly.

Forte's highs sounded a bit veiled to me like what I've heard people prefer for tunes for jazz genre, and narrower sound stage. I think perhaps it's due to treble area may have a dipping impedance response. Not sure.

Interestingly for the Forte, I think Mojo doesn't output significant bass or sound like the bass extends as other portable sources I've tried. For bass, I do like high-end Astell & Kern interacts to BA, bass generally sounds more defined(even if I compare to Opus #2 in which the bass quality the greatest of the portable sources I have) out of it. But the Mojo did lift the highs a bit compared to Opus #2 or AK240. So, it sounded a bit veiled out of Opus #2 or Ak240 for the highs.

Mids sounds very clear and detailed to me for the U18, and that I find the strength of the IEM, and sounds generally balanced to my ears(lower treble doesn't sound emphasized) except maybe the bass region. U18 doesn't sound like lower mids or upper bass is encroaching upon the mids to reduce clarity at all. Also the U18 had that airy sound and I'm guessing there is a treble lift in the upper area which typically cause airyness.

Value wise would I agree with $3k+? No, both are probably the highest in diminishing returns for iems. As far as performance to price ratio, there are ones that is much worse.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,676 of 23,600
Interesting. I preferred the U18 over the Forte for reasons of the treble and mids, but I agree, bass wasn't the best I've heard and Forte's sounds more defined, but in less quantity as well. U18's bass has a bit of rounded bass sound and decays softly.

Forte's highs sounded a bit veiled to me like what I've heard people prefer for tunes for jazz genre, and narrower sound stage. I think perhaps it's due to treble area may have a dipping impedance response. Not sure.

Interestingly for the Forte, I think Mojo doesn't output significant bass or sound like the bass extends as other portable sources I've tried. For bass, I do like high-end Astell & Kern interacts to BA, bass generally sounds more defined(even if I compare to Opus #2 in which the bass quality the greatest of the portable sources I have) out of it. But the Mojo did lift the highs a bit compared to Opus #2 or AK240. So, it sounded a bit veiled out of Opus #2 or Ak240 for the highs.

Mids sounds very clear and detailed to me for the U18, and that I find the strength of the IEM, and sounds generally balanced to my ears(lower treble doesn't sound emphasized) except maybe the bass region. U18 doesn't sound like lower mids or upper bass is encroaching upon the mids to reduce clarity at all. Also the U18 had that airy sound and I'm guessing there is a treble lift in the upper area which typically cause airyness.

Value wise would I agree with $3k+? No, both are probably the highest in diminishing returns for iems. As far as performance to price ratio, there are ones that is much worse.
Different impressions indeed, perhaps the sources do have a significant impact in this regard. I was using the DX200 with Amp 3 (balanced), which gives more power than most DAPs along with it's own signature of course. I was also using the Norne Therium cable, didn't bother using the stock cables so can't compare.

Last thing I'd call Fourte's highs is veiled with my pairing. As for bass the mid bass was substantially less than U18, but sub bass was more noticeable and a bit warmer. Overall tuning was definitely colder, but also more musical and engaging, maybe cause of its slightly V-shaped tuning. Perhaps it was that lack of warmth and midrange body that kept me from falling for it, along with the price tag of course.

But it looks like Tia Trio is a warmer Fourte, looking forward to trying that at CanJam NYC.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,677 of 23,600
Different impressions indeed, perhaps the sources do have a significant impact in this regard. I was using the DX200 with Amp 3 (balanced), which gives more power than most DAPs along with it's own signature of course. I was also using the Norne Therium cable, didn't bother using the stock cables so can't compare.

Last thing I'd call Fourte's highs is veiled with my pairing. As for bass the mid bass was substantially less than U18, but sub bass was more noticeable and a bit warmer. Overall tuning was definitely colder, but also more musical and engaging, maybe cause of its slightly V-shaped tuning. Perhaps it was that lack of warmth and midrange body that kept me from falling for it, along with the price tag of course.

But it looks like Tia Trio is a warmer Fourte, looking forward to trying that at CanJam NYC.
Perhaps you prefer a warmer sig than I do. I will say though that Tzar isn't a mid warm sig at all, and that why I think it sounds so clear. DD on the Forte probably creates a more natural feel to the bass sound compared to the Tzar, although I will say that not all BA bass is equal in terms of how they are implemented, and there is dependency on the way the recording presents bass as well. Not all DD driver bass is like that though. W900 to me didn't sound like what you expect of DD bass, similar to Tzar, but Tzar was more forward and impactful. I think describing Tzar bass as rounded gives the idea that it doesn't encroach to mids to reduce clarity or elevating warmth. Reducing mid warmth can sound a bit empty in the middle or reduced body, but interestingly that isn't what I've heard of the Tzar, it does have good mids definition with good clarity.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,678 of 23,600
I don't know if I'm sensitive to treble or not, but for full-sized headphones, HD600 or HD800, or some of the Beyers, etc.. are bright for me or in the case of HD800, punchiness is too much. I find treble of iems is less intrusive or intensely felt compared to full-sized cans. So, is it the impedance interaction with my DAPs or my ears is the question when it comes to my impression of Forte being on the veiled side? I consider HD650 in contrast to HD600 on the veiled side as well. There's no straightforward idea of if I'm easy on treble or not as I've heard of iems people consider bright, that wasn't so bright to me. I know that treble quality is what I tend to feel the most and thus focus a lot on.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,679 of 23,600
I don't think I'm sensitive to treble, but I certainly prefer warmer/natural signatures. Didn't think I'd like the Fourte's treble as much as I did. I can't speak much on treble as I have both limited auditioning experience and it's not what I crave most, though don't want it to be lacking either.

The only flagship I've owned is the Vega, I loved it but wished its mids, especially vocals, were a bit less recessed, and that was my only gripe with it. That's DD bass in full effect, but sure it could be tamed slightly to make it more balanced.

W900 was very disappointing to me - it had an extremely artificial and metallic timbre to it that I find to be absolutely unjustifiable at its price.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #2,680 of 23,600
I don't think I'm sensitive to treble, but I certainly prefer warmer/natural signatures. Didn't think I'd like the Fourte's treble as much as I did. I can't speak much on treble as I have both limited auditioning experience and it's not what I crave most, though don't want it to be lacking either.

The only flagship I've owned is the Vega, I loved it but wished its mids, especially vocals, were a bit less recessed, and that was my only gripe with it. That's DD bass in full effect, but sure it could be tamed slightly to make it more balanced.

W900 was very disappointing to me - it had an extremely artificial and metallic timbre to it that I find to be absolutely unjustifiable at its price.
Man, I'd like to see your reviews of some TOTL full-backs, there are ones that sound on the metallic side due to certain frequency band boost, and I thought iems weren't so bad. I wonder if you prefer the HD650 for the full-sized headphone or likely the Audeze. For me the W900's weakness was the mids, not as clear it should be.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,681 of 23,600

From the W900, that is what I heard as well - cymbals in particular had an artificial quality to them, as you say "metallic".
A pity, as the rest of their sonic qualities were top-notch IMO...

Very much looking forward to a comparison of the n8t and the w900.
Or maybe test-driving a pair at Canjam SoCal?

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,682 of 23,600

If you loved the Vega, I would try the Trio. The Vega was coherent as hell to me, and the bass was addicting (best I've heard in an IEM), but the mids were too recessed and the treble was kinda splashy to me and a little harsh. The Tia highs are amazing at being so detailed, but contained and super smooth, even if they're bright. I think you'd dig the Trio though based on what I've heard.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,683 of 23,600
If you loved the Vega, I would try the Trio. The Vega was coherent as hell to me, and the bass was addicting (best I've heard in an IEM), but the mids were too recessed and the treble was kinda splashy to me and a little harsh. The Tia highs are amazing at being so detailed, but contained and super smooth, even if they're bright. I think you'd dig the Trio though based on what I've heard.
Those are my thoughts at the moment as well based off others' impressions, Trio is near the top of my short list. How are vocals on it?

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,685 of 23,600
I’m really surprised someone said the Fourte doesn’t have enough bass... the Fourte bass is one of its big selling points. Every time I listen to my Fourte the bass is just soooo darn good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back