The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,522 of 23,668
Hi there, just received my a12t which is amazing. Nice fitting and artwork, there is huuuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade from the previous a/u12. However i found the recessed sockets was removed. I can understand it come with shape/ size limitation but there is a big room in my iem obviously. Recessed sockets is really important for someone who may change cables and the long term durability. Did anyone have same experience?
I don't think many ppl have got their 12t, maybe you will need to wait for more time if you're looking for other user experience
but for a ciem which does not have Recessed sockets now, this is quite bad.
I also order a12t and I remembered that the order list has recessed socket as default, you should send an email to them!!

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,523 of 23,668
As mentioned, the tips on a universal can affect the sound, but in general, comparing my custom version to the tour universal:
  • Deeper Sub-Bass: You need a really great seal to hear the deepest of sub-bass which I can only hear with a custom. The universal didn't dig as deep IMO as my custom version.
  • More Bass Impact/Resolution: The custom also seemed to have more impact in the bass than the universal due to the better seal driving more bass resolution.
  • More Treble Resolution: The most delicate treble detail can only be heard with the greatest of isolation, especially at lower volumes. The custom had significantly more isolation providing that deeper look into the music such as you get being in a silent room with a great headphone.
  • Superior Fit: Universals that do work well for me are still subject to falling out when active or when the cables are tugged. The custom fit requires a twisting motion to remove so they stay in with optimal sound even when jogging or working out.
To be clear, we are talking inches, not miles, but the inches all add up to a significant difference when comparing my custom to the universal model. To be fair, I have troubles with many universals given a strong turn in my ear channel so YMMV.

Thanks @Barra for your impressions of IEM VS CIEM.
Have you had any experience with comparing CIEM with the U18 with good foam tips? Does the U18 with good foam tips nudge a little closer to the CIEM performance? I should have tried them when I had the tour package, but I preferred the convenience of the SpinFits over foam.

My U18 was finally delivered today and I am still struggling on if I should open it or go for the A18 :frowning2:
(should have been friday but a massive snowstorm shut down the FedEx hub in Indianapolis over the weekend)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,525 of 23,668
Have you had any experience with comparing CIEM with the U18 with good foam tips? Does the U18 with good foam tips nudge a little closer to the CIEM performance? I should have tried them when I had the tour package, but I preferred the convenience of the SpinFits over foam.

My U18 was finally delivered today and I am still struggling on if I should open it or go for the A18 :frowning2:
(should have been friday but a massive snowstorm shut down the FedEx hub in Indianapolis over the weekend)
I have never gotten the foams to work with my ears - they just sound muffled and bass-less. So I cannot answer that one being a silicone tip only user.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,526 of 23,668

With the U18s, my favorite tips were the Symbios. They gave better isolation than spinfits, because of the foam and were very comfortable. You might want to experiment w/ all the sizes though, because at first they didn't work for me until I tried the smallest size.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,527 of 23,668
With the U18s, my favorite tips were the Symbios. They gave better isolation than spinfits, because of the foam and were very comfortable. You might want to experiment w/ all the sizes though, because at first they didn't work for me until I tried the smallest size.

I have been wanting to try Symbios. I wear medium Spinfits with good effect. Do the Symbios sizes match SpinFits closely?

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,528 of 23,668
I have been wanting to try Symbios. I wear medium Spinfits with good effect. Do the Symbios sizes match SpinFits closely?
To me Symbios feel like they size larger than spinfits, but that could be because they don't collapse as readily when pushed against the ear canal due to the foam in them. Also, compared to the Symbio W, the bore is smaller on the Spinfits, and I felt like I lost some of the lower end, so I preferred the Symbio. I own the Fourte's, but I felt the same way with the U18's during the demo tour. IMO!

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,529 of 23,668
They are a little larger, but I believe you can order up to three different sizes/package. For me, the spinfit s are just a little more comfortable, but the Symbios offer a lot more isolation, yet don’t muffle the sound, because of the silicon.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,530 of 23,668
for my experience, i got symbios , spinfit and also final type e, all these three types of tips perform quite well, if you prefer more bass, symbiosis a good choice, for human vocal , spinfit will be better , but the best tip I got is the final type e, the bass and human vocal and sub will be a balance and it is the most comfortable, for choosing tips, I suggest final type e, also I got accoustune but it just nothing so special

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,531 of 23,668
I
for my experience, i got symbios , spinfit and also final type e, all these three types of tips perform quite well, if you prefer more bass, symbiosis a good choice, for human vocal , spinfit will be better , but the best tip I got is the final type e, the bass and human vocal and sub will be a balance and it is the most comfortable, for choosing tips, I suggest final type e, also I got accoustune but it just nothing so special

I messaged garcs5522 on eBay re: the Symbio tips. He said Symbio W will fit 64 Audio U series. I think I will get small and medium due to SpinFit Med fit me well.

Does that mean the Symbio N would fit the narrow stemmed Westone 4R/Shure, etc? If they have a wider inner bore maybe the treble wouldn't roll off as much with the W4R?

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,532 of 23,668

Also, do you have a link for the final type e tips? TIA

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #2,534 of 23,668
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #2,535 of 23,668
Just upgraded from the S1 module to the B1.

What a big difference. Tighter bass, increased clarity in treble. I'm mighty impressed, wish I did this sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back