The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,461 of 23,556
Been enjoying my Tia Fourte for about a month now and these things are really something special...felt compelled to share a few notes I've jotted down over the course of my listening.

All impressions done through my WM1A on FW 2.0, mix of balanced and single ended via cables in my sig. Using foam tips or Symbio hybrids. Base of comparison is mostly my Noble K10 and Zeus XIV customs, plus some mid-fi stuff.

On first listen my attention was immediately drawn to the low end - the bass really excels in a lot of aspects, but before I continue any further it's important to note that the bass quantity is not massive. This is not a bass head IEM but instead feels like every low note has the exact weight it should: very tactile feel but not overly boomy. Add to this a fantastic decay: bass notes feel like rolling hills with great individual definition but also rolling so effortlessly in transition into the next thump. I personally feel the decay may be slightly on the faster side, especially if you're expecting/like a deeply rolling sub bass, but thanks in part to this touch of speed it allows the Fourte's greatest strength in the low end - incredible layering & texturing. Every note and instrument is given such individual attention and has its own little bubble of body but simultaneously these individual notes are pieced together and presented in beautiful coherency, both in terms of the low end itself and also the way the bass then slots into the full range.

In comparison, the K10's bass and lower mids feel bloomy: too much of the low end leaks into the overall presentation, crowds out other notes and whole thing just ends up feeling congested on tracks that have a lot going on in lower registers. The Fourte's notes have superior definition that creates a distinct space/contrast between the notes and the background. Meanwhile Zeus certainly doesn't get bloomy with its good control and tight resolution down low but can feel lacking body versus Fourte, which feeds into my main impression on the Fourtes...

In comparison - my other IEMs sound like they are projecting a flat image to my eardrum, a painting of a mountainous landscape if you will. But the Fourtes manage to present the actual landscape - a three dimensional projection of all the peaks and valleys directly into the space between the drivers and my eardrum. Perhaps this is what others are referring to when they say the Fourte is closer to a speaker/headphone-like experience. Another analogy would be reading the notes on a sheet of music versus having them pop off the page, seeing/feeling the music they represent.

Getting back to moving my way up the dynamic range, I have less unique things to say about the mids as I feel that while they are done very well, they sound good in a conventional IEM sense. The K10 and especially the Zeus can rival the Fourte here and the main differentiation comes back to the Fourte's 3D note presentation, which is not just found in its low end but the mids as well. Some vocals take on unreal amounts of body/weight, I both attend live and listen recorded to a fair amount of Broadway musicals and the Fourte does an excellent job capturing the emotion and edge present in these soundtracks. Soundstage is equally important and noticeable on these tracks as well and the Fourte handles spacing very well. The soundstage is very wide, decently deep and tall. Separation and placement are TOTL as well and contribute to a more open feel than the more intimate presentation on my other IEMs (by intimate I mean feeling closer to the singer/performance, not necessarily a smaller/reduced soundstage).

Highs are also beautifully handled by the tia driver. The configuration allows the Fourte to throw a lot of treble in your ears without coming off harsh or being loud/glaring enough to remove focus from the overall presentation/break coherency. High notes and treble detail are excitingly present in a lot of songs and really help bring up the engagement factor. Only came across a few songs in which this treble detail crossed over the line from nice presence into "hey, that cymbal/triangle/etc is more emphasized than it should be" and feeling a bit unnatural. Which if I have to pick a flaw may be the Fourte's biggest - its tonal accuracy/timbre. I don't have much of a background in instrumental music and don't listen to many genres in which this is critical so I don't have a great ear for realistic instrument tonality, but I can see the Fourte as striving more towards exciting and less towards tonal accuracy.

In his IEM ranking list, Crinicle summarized the Fourte's presentation as "W-shaped" and after my own listening I feel it's an accurate description - while no one range is emphasized more than any other, it is not a flat/neutral presentation by any means, and instead all ranges are emphasized but emphasized equally, leaving a very fun and exciting result. You are left listening to full-bodied vocals that are front and center while simultaneously grooving to the guitars left and right, supported but not interrupted by an equally present drum line behind and cymbals crashing left and right above your lead vocalist. Definitely an exciting IEM all-in-all, having a lot of fun with them

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,462 of 23,556
I am currently waiting on fourte with my sp1000 ss. Is this combo transparent enough? I had layla 2 with moon audio silver dragon cable briefly but the sound wasn't as clear as with a18. The layla 2 had excellent fit and good bass response but sound appeared to be a bit congested. Wonder how fourte would pair up with sp1000. Fit wise I prefer layla2 over custom a18.
Maybe u want a refit?

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,463 of 23,556
Been enjoying my Tia Fourte for about a month now and these things are really something special...felt compelled to share a few notes I've jotted down over the course of my listening.

All impressions done through my WM1A on FW 2.0, mix of balanced and single ended via cables in my sig. Using foam tips or Symbio hybrids. Base of comparison is mostly my Noble K10 and Zeus XIV customs, plus some mid-fi stuff.

On first listen my attention was immediately drawn to the low end - the bass really excels in a lot of aspects, but before I continue any further it's important to note that the bass quantity is not massive. This is not a bass head IEM but instead feels like every low note has the exact weight it should: very tactile feel but not overly boomy. Add to this a fantastic decay: bass notes feel like rolling hills with great individual definition but also rolling so effortlessly in transition into the next thump. I personally feel the decay may be slightly on the faster side, especially if you're expecting/like a deeply rolling sub bass, but thanks in part to this touch of speed it allows the Fourte's greatest strength in the low end - incredible layering & texturing. Every note and instrument is given such individual attention and has its own little bubble of body but simultaneously these individual notes are pieced together and presented in beautiful coherency, both in terms of the low end itself and also the way the bass then slots into the full range.

In comparison, the K10's bass and lower mids feel bloomy: too much of the low end leaks into the overall presentation, crowds out other notes and whole thing just ends up feeling congested on tracks that have a lot going on in lower registers. The Fourte's notes have superior definition that creates a distinct space/contrast between the notes and the background. Meanwhile Zeus certainly doesn't get bloomy with its good control and tight resolution down low but can feel lacking body versus Fourte, which feeds into my main impression on the Fourtes...

In comparison - my other IEMs sound like they are projecting a flat image to my eardrum, a painting of a mountainous landscape if you will. But the Fourtes manage to present the actual landscape - a three dimensional projection of all the peaks and valleys directly into the space between the drivers and my eardrum. Perhaps this is what others are referring to when they say the Fourte is closer to a speaker/headphone-like experience. Another analogy would be reading the notes on a sheet of music versus having them pop off the page, seeing/feeling the music they represent.

Getting back to moving my way up the dynamic range, I have less unique things to say about the mids as I feel that while they are done very well, they sound good in a conventional IEM sense. The K10 and especially the Zeus can rival the Fourte here and the main differentiation comes back to the Fourte's 3D note presentation, which is not just found in its low end but the mids as well. Some vocals take on unreal amounts of body/weight, I both attend live and listen recorded to a fair amount of Broadway musicals and the Fourte does an excellent job capturing the emotion and edge present in these soundtracks. Soundstage is equally important and noticeable on these tracks as well and the Fourte handles spacing very well. The soundstage is very wide, decently deep and tall. Separation and placement are TOTL as well and contribute to a more open feel than the more intimate presentation on my other IEMs (by intimate I mean feeling closer to the singer/performance, not necessarily a smaller/reduced soundstage).

Highs are also beautifully handled by the tia driver. The configuration allows the Fourte to throw a lot of treble in your ears without coming off harsh or being loud/glaring enough to remove focus from the overall presentation/break coherency. High notes and treble detail are excitingly present in a lot of songs and really help bring up the engagement factor. Only came across a few songs in which this treble detail crossed over the line from nice presence into "hey, that cymbal/triangle/etc is more emphasized than it should be" and feeling a bit unnatural. Which if I have to pick a flaw may be the Fourte's biggest - its tonal accuracy/timbre. I don't have much of a background in instrumental music and don't listen to many genres in which this is critical so I don't have a great ear for realistic instrument tonality, but I can see the Fourte as striving more towards exciting and less towards tonal accuracy.

In his IEM ranking list, Crinicle summarized the Fourte's presentation as "W-shaped" and after my own listening I feel it's an accurate description - while no one range is emphasized more than any other, it is not a flat/neutral presentation by any means, and instead all ranges are emphasized but emphasized equally, leaving a very fun and exciting result. You are left listening to full-bodied vocals that are front and center while simultaneously grooving to the guitars left and right, supported but not interrupted by an equally present drum line behind and cymbals crashing left and right above your lead vocalist. Definitely an exciting IEM all-in-all, having a lot of fun with them

Love your review. I just took my Fourté off about an hour ago to watch TV but after reading your review I want to put them back on because they’re just so special.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,465 of 23,556
I purchased the A12T during the Black Friday sale they said they should be ready mid January. $1600 for the A12T was the most i was willing to pay for a pair of custom IEM despite the rave reviews of the A18T. There is not a lot of information online due to the fact that ownership is limited but was wondering how much of an upgrade are they from the original A12. I used own the Adel U10 BTW but sold them to upgrade customs.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,466 of 23,556
I purchased the A12T during the Black Friday sale they said they should be ready mid January. $1600 for the A12T was the most i was willing to pay for a pair of custom IEM despite the rave reviews of the A18T. There is not a lot of information online due to the fact that ownership is limited but was wondering how much of an upgrade are they from the original A12. I used own the Adel U10 BTW but sold them to upgrade customs.
No one knows bcos no one has them yet

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,468 of 23,556
A12t is like a combination of A18t and A12. I think you get some similarities in high to mid from A18t and low mid to sub will be more like A12.

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,469 of 23,556
I am currently waiting on fourte with my sp1000 ss. Is this combo transparent enough? I had layla 2 with moon audio silver dragon cable briefly but the sound wasn't as clear as with a18. The layla 2 had excellent fit and good bass response but sound appeared to be a bit congested. Wonder how fourte would pair up with sp1000. Fit wise I prefer layla2 over custom a18.

Forte is extremely transparent, one of the least congested, most layered IEMs I've heard -- likely the best in terms of layering and separation on the market.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,470 of 23,556
The Fourte with SP1000 is one of the most amazing experiences I’ve had yet regarding a mobile setup and nearly rival my Utopia/Chord Hugo2. Ive had my Fourte for about two weeks, needed to allow them to burn in because the mids/treble was a little overwhelming.. but in a really good way, my body needed to adjust. I’ll admit it’s a little difficult to listen to Fourte in the late evening because my body is more relaxed and calm.. fourte energy can overwhelm me at times, especially if I’m just trying to relax and doze off... these are not for dozing off, these are for fun, exciting, high detailed listening.

I placed my order for A18 as well. Everything in me was against a custom IEM costing this much but I’ve become comfortable with the idea of A18 as my CIEM endgame.

Endgame:
Utopia, Sennheiser HD800S, Chord Hugo2, Tia Fourte, A18 and SP1000.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,472 of 23,556
How long did it take to get your Fourte order fulfilled? I placed my order on 12/26 but it still says 'order received'.
This isn't even a custom so I am not sure what's the hold on this...

While it is not custom, 64audio don't have much stock and more often than not, they make the Forte after they have received the order. That usually takes 3-4 weeks. This is based off my discussions with Isobel over at 64audio. I myself placed the order about a week before you so definitely get where you are coming from!

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,474 of 23,556
How long did it take to get your Fourte order fulfilled? I placed my order on 12/26 but it still says 'order received'.
This isn't even a custom so I am not sure what's the hold on this...

I ordered my U18 on 12/20, and it still says "order received" but not shipped, but I was told I should receive it this week.

Current Build Step: Order Received
  • 12/20 Order Received
  • Shipped

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,475 of 23,556
To those who felt discomfort with customs and had to get them refit, does it feel unconformable when you leave your mouth open (same position at the time you took your impressions)? I'm wondering if closing my mouth will induce discomfort because the canal will constrict, pressing against the bone/cartilage with greater pressure. I had mine taken in the open-mouth position with a bite block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back