The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #13,156 of 23,560
I love my Trio too :)
I’m interested to hear what are the other top 4 iems in your list, if you don’t mind sharing :relaxed:

See my signature!

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #13,157 of 23,560
I never had custom before. I understand custom fit is consistent and the seal is very good if done well. What I’m wondering is whether the nozzle will fit deeper into the ear canal for custom vs universal. If so, shouldn’t custom will sound louder and more detail/brighter due to the nozzle is closer to the ears drum?
You get way better seal with customs, I’ve actually found when comparing uni to custom (same IEM of course) I end up having less, but more controlled and detailed highs

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #13,158 of 23,560
You get way better seal with customs, I’ve actually found when comparing uni to custom (same IEM of course) I end up having less, but more controlled and detailed highs

Thanks.

I’m looking to try custom as I cannot get deeper insertion with 64 universal to the level I wanted. This I think is due to the fat nozzle combined with the ear tips thus preventing any further insertion that is possible. I find deeper insertion to provide a fuller, better sound for me. I will probably try custom next.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #13,159 of 23,560

Kind of like when a seal is broken, other than the bass lacking, everything sounds dry and unrealistic, and with a good seal everything becomes full and more reference.

This dryness to the sound can be interpreted as brighter sound, as it kind of tingles the ear-drums more.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #13,161 of 23,560
Regarding the IPX connector, I’m not sure if I should stick with 2-pin or go for the new connector. What do you guys think if you are getting a new 64 Audio iem in future - new IPX or traditional 2-pin?
2-Pin seems almost unanimous among Head-Fi members.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #13,162 of 23,560
Trio users: anyone here using (and preferring) the premium silver cable (over stock, copper or other SPC cables)? Any notes on what it does to Trio's sound?
I use a silver cable with my Trio, the Thor Silver II+ from EA. To my ears, compared to the stock SPC, it makes the sound crisper, brighter and more detailed. It also tightens up the bass.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #13,163 of 23,560
Hi,
To answer the question which one is the best of my iem: Nio, Trio, U12t or Noir.
If I had to keep only one I'd be torn between two of them: the magical Noir or the middle Trio.
Noir is just something incredible on most of my music.
Trio has some of that magic but on all the music.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #13,164 of 23,560
I use a silver cable with my Trio, the Thor Silver II+ from EA. To my ears, compared to the stock SPC, it makes the sound crisper, brighter and more detailed. It also tightens up the bass.
Thanks. I was asking specifically about the 64 Audio Premium Silver cable though. I'm not a fan of pure silver cables, primarily because of how they extend the treble and attenuate the bass.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #13,165 of 23,560
Regarding the IPX connector, I’m not sure if I should stick with 2-pin or go for the new connector. What do you guys think if you are getting a new 64 Audio iem in future - new IPX or traditional 2-pin?

If you’re not planning on doing any cable rolling, IPX. With the APEX modules you still retain the ability to slightly tweak the sound. It all depends on your use-case.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #13,166 of 23,560
2-Pin seems almost unanimous among Head-Fi members.

When some audiophiles invest into aftermarket cables, ranging $500-$2k a pop, they prefer to cable-roll their investments :D IPX will be great for performing musicians who abuse their monitors.

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #13,168 of 23,560
The thing is, 64 already uses super high quality 2pin sockets - I don’t see any reason to limit yourself by going to IPX unless you plan on like... going swimming with them lol
More choice is never a bad thing, the only problem becomes when that's the only option.

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #13,169 of 23,560
More choice is never a bad thing, the only problem becomes when that's the only option.
Oh no I’m all for extra options! I think it’s a great thing they’re offering it for professionals as well as audiophiles. To be honest, it could even make sense to get it if you already know what cable you want to use with your IEMs, so you simply get that in IPX as well as whatever the IEM you want

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #13,170 of 23,560
I have not heard too many iems but I find drivers count is not main criteria for good iems. Even a single driver iem if done well can sound better than some multi driver iems.
+1 I've heard twelve-driver speakers and IEMs which didn't impress me, but have had the same 2-way speakers for ten years or so. The number of drivers alone is not impressive to me, the implementation of those drivers can be impressive. I also like the U12t, but hoped for some bass impact with a dynamic driver. I wasn't disappointed with the Trio.

In general, I prefer MMCX, but I admit to not having any trouble with 64Auido's 2-pin connector. But then, I like the 2.5mm TRRS, too, so what do I know?

I tried a few generic cables with my Trio when I "broke" my stock cable. I'm somewhat of a cable atheist, but I tried an ALO silver cable (didn't do anything for me the stock cable didn't do and cost more), a generic SPC (flimsy connectors) and a couple of generic copper (spoiled the treble magic). I ordered a new stock cable and have been happy since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back