The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #13,126 of 23,532
Sorry guys/gals, I have been a bit quiet lately in this thread after spending so much time early on talking about Nio. Lots of stuff going on my side in the last few months, personal and work, and now starting to catch up with reviews in my queue. Will resume work on Nio to finish the review very soon. In a meantime, wanted to add my 2cents to IPX discussion.

First of all, don't know how many have read 64 Audio announcement from a few months ago, but the company has a new CMO, Jazmin Moreno. There are many on-line articles about the announcement when Jazmin joined the company, like here. And, if you look at her resume, she comes straight from heading marketing department of ... Ultimate Ears. Of course, I'm speculating, but I have a feeling that IPX introduction could have some connection to this :wink: At least, makes sense to me.

Regarding IPX, it was a connector developed by Linum, www.linum.dk, who are known for their SuperBax cables. The connector is a more robust alternative to mmcx which had issues in the past, including many discussions in UE threads (i'm sure many remember UE900 and how they started to package Deox-it with their IEMs). So, it wasn't a surprise that UE was one of the first to adopt IPX connector. It is smaller than mmcx, tighter fitting, doesn't spin as easily, more secure yet still with easy to disconnect locking mechanism, and less prone to oxidation and intermittent connect problems due to IP67 rating (waterproof). Also, guaranteed for up to 3,000 disconnect cycles. All this is good for performing musicians who put their IEMs through a lot of abuse on stage (sweat, cable tension, extra wear'n'tear, etc).

For now, I only see IPX connector being offered on 64 Audio website as an option for CIEM builds, which makes sense because musicians use CIEMs, not universals. I don't know if IPX will be offered on universals as well. Maybe as a special build order for universals in a future? Plus, when designing your CIEMs, you still have an option to choose a standard 2pin 0.78mm connector.

Here is visual how IPX looks. These are pictures of Linum SuperBax cable, and they even offer a cool little adapter to go from ipx to mmcx, you can see side-by-side how they compare:

linum-ipx-x01.jpg linum-ipx-x02.jpglinum-ipx-x03.jpg linum-ipx-x04.jpg

Here is a few more close up, including a shell socket (these one from my 2yr old review of ue live):

ue_live-13.jpg ue_live-14.jpg

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #13,127 of 23,532
I am happy with 64 Audio 2-pin connectors. So far, no issues with sockets being loose after multiple cables swapping. Unlike Mmcx they easily become loose and spinning.

And I always thought mmcx spin by design! I can't recall a mmcx connection where they didn't spin. I thought that was so they can easily find proper orientation of cable to phone-in-ear automatically.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #13,128 of 23,532
And I always thought mmcx spin by design! I can't recall a mmcx connection where they didn't spin. I thought that was so they can easily find proper orientation of cable to phone-in-ear automatically.
Me too! That was actually my favourite feature of mmcx - so easy to microadjust the IEM after it's in.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #13,129 of 23,532

When new they do turn but is tight. After they become loose, they tend to spin freely and easily. Because of this, it become a hassle having to constantly find and correct the ear piece angle on every use.

In addition, sometimes they become so loose and start to cause intermittent connection issues as well.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #13,130 of 23,532
Hi,

My nio and u12t have arrived.
I just compared them to my trio and Noir.

These four have each there strengths.
I think my ranking follows the prices: Noir, trio = u12t, then nio.

- Noir: détails, soundstage, punch, very musical but not very reference.

- Trio: little brother from Noir, some of the nio and some of the U12t. More reference than Noir but with less details.

- U12t: reference at its finest, even with sub bass and highs. Incredible. No punch. Maybe a little less musical.
I can't wait to compare them to the soundwriter.

-Nio: great bass, with punch. Good medium. Highs softer than the others. Great for modern music (pop, rock,...). A little less details. Musical.
Excellent, I am going to use your post and ignore all others about this topic because it completely validates my purchase of the Trio.

Sorry guys/gals, I have been a bit quiet lately in this thread after spending so much time early on talking about Nio. Lots of stuff going on my side in the last few months, personal and work, and now starting to catch up with reviews in my queue. Will resume work on Nio to finish the review very soon. In a meantime, wanted to add my 2cents to IPX discussion.

First of all, don't know how many have read 64 Audio announcement from a few months ago, but the company has a new CMO, Jazmin Moreno. There are many on-line articles about the announcement when Jazmin joined the company, like here. And, if you look at her resume, she comes straight from heading marketing department of ... Ultimate Ears. Of course, I'm speculating, but I have a feeling that IPX introduction could have some connection to this :wink: At least, makes sense to me.

Regarding IPX, it was a connector developed by Linum, www.linum.dk, who are known for their SuperBax cables. The connector is a more robust alternative to mmcx which had issues in the past, including many discussions in UE threads (i'm sure many remember UE900 and how they started to package Deox-it with their IEMs). So, it wasn't a surprise that UE was one of the first to adopt IPX connector. It is smaller than mmcx, tighter fitting, doesn't spin as easily, more secure yet still with easy to disconnect locking mechanism, and less prone to oxidation and intermittent connect problems due to IP67 rating (waterproof). Also, guaranteed for up to 3,000 disconnect cycles. All this is good for performing musicians who put their IEMs through a lot of abuse on stage (sweat, cable tension, extra wear'n'tear, etc).

For now, I only see IPX connector being offered on 64 Audio website as an option for CIEM builds, which makes sense because musicians use CIEMs, not universals. I don't know if IPX will be offered on universals as well. Maybe as a special build order for universals in a future? Plus, when designing your CIEMs, you still have an option to choose a standard 2pin 0.78mm connector.

Here is visual how IPX looks. These are pictures of Linum SuperBax cable, and they even offer a cool little adapter to go from ipx to mmcx, you can see side-by-side how they compare:

linum-ipx-x01.jpg linum-ipx-x02.jpglinum-ipx-x03.jpg linum-ipx-x04.jpg

Here is a few more close up, including a shell socket (these one from my 2yr old review of ue live):

ue_live-13.jpg ue_live-14.jpg
Interesting. Thanks for the photos. Is there a small o-ring in the female half of the connector, to get that IP-67 rating?

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #13,131 of 23,532
64 Audio seems to be sporting a slightly upgraded logo design. Looking leaner, if not also meaner. Of all manufacturers, not taking into account sound quality and tech features, 64Audio’s branding and design philosophy is the most impressive to my eyes. Be it logo design or that of product or website, their minimalistic and stock monochrome look stands apart.

64Audio Logo.jpeg

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #13,132 of 23,532
I have an original 2015 64Audio A6 custom with ADEL modules, still holding up well but I think my canals have changed and I may either need a re-shelling or consider parting with them to one who will do so and enjoy them. Is there a "go to" option for re-shelling at a reasonable price? Also, if anyone is interested in these I won't be asking too much as they are "vintage", albeit still in excellent shape and a pleasure to listen to. I may eventually put them up on the listings but will wait to see if anyone from the thread PM's for "1st dibs" if it's a win for both parties. :thumbsup:

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #13,133 of 23,532
I have an original 2015 64Audio A6 custom with ADEL modules, still holding up well but I think my canals have changed and I may either need a re-shelling or consider parting with them to one who will do so and enjoy them. Is there a "go to" option for re-shelling at a reasonable price? Also, if anyone is interested in these I won't be asking too much as they are "vintage", albeit still in excellent shape and a pleasure to listen to. I may eventually put them up on the listings but will wait to see if anyone from the thread PM's for "1st dibs" if it's a win for both parties. :thumbsup:

Naga Audio would be my go-to for reshelling ADEL-equipped IEMs. I’d also heavily recommend itsfit Lab, though I’m not 100% sure whether or not they accept ADEL in-ears.

If you feel more comfortable shipping to Europe than to Asia, then Ambient Acoustics is an option as well.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #13,134 of 23,532
Excellent, I am going to use your post and ignore all others about this topic because it completely validates my purchase of the Trio.

Interesting. Thanks for the photos. Is there a small o-ring in the female half of the connector, to get that IP-67 rating?

The Trio is an amazing IEM. Very musical and engaging presentation with great detail while maintaining a solid technical foundation. DD bass with TIA highs and a very coherent midrange. If it weren’t for the price, I’d suspect more people would be raving about it. The three drivers for $2300 does turn people off but darn, it’s easily in my Top 5 in my books.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #13,135 of 23,532
The Trio is an amazing IEM. Very musical and engaging presentation with great detail while maintaining a solid technical foundation. DD bass with TIA highs and a very coherent midrange. If it weren’t for the price, I’d suspect more people would be raving about it. The three drivers for $2300 does turn people off but darn, it’s easily in my Top 5 in my books.
I'm also skeptical that three drivers can deliver the level of detail and space that 9 or 12-driver IEMs can, which is why I'm so keen to hear it for myself. If they can, then maybe we need to rethink driver count as a forebear of technical ability. Because by all accounts the Trio is almost the perfect hybrid of all of 64 Audio's key technologies and house sound. And I'm not sure it's about price, because plenty praise the Fourte and Noir and yet more seem to prefer the Trio's tuning.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #13,136 of 23,532
Naga Audio would be my go-to for reshelling ADEL-equipped IEMs. I’d also heavily recommend itsfit Lab, though I’m not 100% sure whether or not they accept ADEL in-ears.

If you feel more comfortable shipping to Europe than to Asia, then Ambient Acoustics is an option as well.
Thank you. I am in US but will check out your suggestions!

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #13,137 of 23,532

I love my Trio too :)
I’m interested to hear what are the other top 4 iems in your list, if you don’t mind sharing :relaxed:

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #13,138 of 23,532
I'm also skeptical that three drivers can deliver the level of detail and space that 9 or 12-driver IEMs can, which is why I'm so keen to hear it for myself. If they can, then maybe we need to rethink driver count as a forebear of technical ability. Because by all accounts the Trio is almost the perfect hybrid of all of 64 Audio's key technologies and house sound. And I'm not sure it's about price, because plenty praise the Fourte and Noir and yet more seem to prefer the Trio's tuning.

I have not heard too many iems but I find drivers count is not main criteria for good iems. Even a single driver iem if done well can sound better than some multi driver iems.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #13,139 of 23,532
Regarding the IPX connector, I’m not sure if I should stick with 2-pin or go for the new connector. What do you guys think if you are getting a new 64 Audio iem in future - new IPX or traditional 2-pin?

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #13,140 of 23,532
Regarding the IPX connector, I’m not sure if I should stick with 2-pin or go for the new connector. What do you guys think if you are getting a new 64 Audio iem in future - new IPX or traditional 2-pin?
Only applies if you're going for CIEM. I don't think it'll be available for universals just yet. Though I think I'll stick with 2-pin for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back