The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #12,196 of 23,553
Jul 30, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #12,198 of 23,553
If it’s any consolation, it seems that the U12t is still the more technical and “etched” model of 64’s cheaper lineup with its own selling points. I wouldn’t lose sleep.

Wouldn’t call it etched any way. It has one of smoothest trebles I’ve yet to hear and I’m particularly sensitive to this due to tinnitus.

I would agree about its technical prowess though. The sense of space, separation, articulation and bass speed is addictive. It’s amongst the reasons the U12t isn’t going anywhere despite the addition of the Nio.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #12,199 of 23,553
No love for the u12t anymore. Everyone just waxing about its more expensive and one slightly cheaper brothers.

"Alexa, play There's something I love about all BAs"

Whispers to u12t "Don't worry bae, I will never replace you"
I must say I do sometimes miss having the U12t around. It's like the grown up, conservative, classical music-loving brother to the Nio's long-haired, free spirited flower child. The two together are better than any single IEM I can think of, even ones that cost twice as much as both. One day, when finances allow, I may just bring the U12t back home.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #12,200 of 23,553
Talking about the U12t, I am wondering if everyone agrees that the U12t is better than the U18t or whether the price difference is just too big that the U18t simply seems unattractive? For the custom version, however, it seems that the A18t is slightly more popular than the A12t. Am I seeing that right?

The U18t has more mid-bass + warmth and also a more pronounced upper midrange than the U12t. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority prefers the tuning of U12t. It seems as if the A18s is closer to the tonality of the 12t. Perhaps this was requested by customers? Or the A18s revision could be in regards to apex mX. Vitaliy recommended the new module for linear bass with Nio, 12t and 18s.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #12,201 of 23,553
Talking about the U12t, I am wondering if everyone agrees that the U12t is better than the U18t or whether the price difference is just too big that the U18t simply seems unattractive? For the custom version, however, it seems that the A18t is slightly more popular than the A12t. Am I seeing that right?

The U18t has more mid-bass + warmth and also a more pronounced upper midrange than the U12t. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority prefers the tuning of U12t. It seems as if the A18s is closer to the tonality of the 12t. Perhaps this was requested by customers? Or the A18s revision could be in regards to apex mX. Vitaliy recommended the new module for linear bass with Nio, 12t and 18s.
That’s the one thing I don’t love about the u12t. In some rock songs I know the bass drum kick is supposed to be there but it’s not felt and rather just heard. Now I know people want to claim reference tuning and yada yada but that’s not reference. A bass drum can be felt. If you disagree, stand in front of one and have some hit the pedal.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #12,202 of 23,553
That’s the one thing I don’t love about the u12t. In some rock songs I know the bass drum kick is supposed to be there but it’s not felt and rather just heard. Now I know people want to claim reference tuning and yada yada but that’s not reference. A bass drum can be felt. If you disagree, stand in front of one and have some hit the pedal.
You've just nailed the single biggest and IMO most important difference between DD bass and BA bass, and the main reason I made the switch from the U12t. When anyone asks what the difference is, I always say 'the 'kick' in a kick drum'. It's as simple and as complicated as that. Pin this post!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #12,203 of 23,553
Little quiet in here today, so how bout some nio eye candy (even though possibly potato quality eye candy)?

Today's listening... Nio with m20 module, linum superbax cable, spinfit cp100 tips, out of cayin n6ii e01 in class a mode. Still loving the nio.

IMG_20200730_123126.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #12,204 of 23,553
When anyone asks what the difference is, I always say 'the 'kick' in a kick drum'. It's as simple and as complicated as that. Pin this post!
Couldn't agree more ! As a (beginner) drummer myself, you just can't reach the level of realism and accuracy with a full BA set vs a DD driver for drum sounds. You can "hear" the drums, you can't feel them. You can boost the sub bass all you want with more low end BA drivers, but the mid bass always seems to be missing, at least IMO.

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #12,205 of 23,553
Little quiet in here today, so how bout some nio eye candy (even though possibly potato quality eye candy)?

Today's listening... Nio with m20 module, linum superbax cable, spinfit cp100 tips, out of cayin n6ii e01 in class a mode. Still loving the nio.

IMG_20200730_123126.jpg
How's the tangle factor on the superbax these days?

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #12,206 of 23,553
How's the tangle factor on the superbax these days?
Not that bad. But due to covid I have been home so haven't really had to store it for transport. It does have a bit of "memory" effect though and has a bit of tendency to hold shape.

I do sort of miss memory wire or earhooks providing a little weight relief, but can't argue with the comfort of such a tiny cable over the ear, especially since memory wire is usually uncomfortable for me and molded hooks tend to leave a big gap before looping back over the ear.

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #12,207 of 23,553
Couldn't agree more ! As a (beginner) drummer myself, you just can't reach the level of realism and accuracy with a full BA set vs a DD driver for drum sounds. You can "hear" the drums, you can't feel them. You can boost the sub bass all you want with more low end BA drivers, but the mid bass always seems to be missing, at least IMO.
That brings us to the Nio... just perfect kick in the kick drums.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #12,210 of 23,553
We'll see soon enough. I'm demoing @dleblanc343's Nio on Saturday ! I also have the Fir module O on hand, so it'll be interesting for sure.

Too bad I got hes premium silver cable you wont hear that one 🙃😁😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back