The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #11,491 of 23,560
Can't seem to get hold of the Azla Sednas here in the UK which is unfortunate.

Symbios medium on my rai penta work well as the bore is wider than the U12T, and seems to widen the bud enough to seal.

Symbio medium doesn't seal on my U12Ts and the large is too big and fatiguing. So need a ML size.
You can order them from Amazon.com, or even cheaper, Amazon Japan.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #11,492 of 23,560
One of my medicine box to cure me tips-rolling sickness...

Attachments

• E5BE7D26-376A-4995-ADC7-06BF04F02B20.jpeg
    E5BE7D26-376A-4995-ADC7-06BF04F02B20.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #11,493 of 23,560
You should check out the new Xelastec! They just got released I think. I've heard a lot of positive feedbacks on those.
Two problems with the Xelastec that I can see (without having used them myself): they're more sticky than normal silicone, which means you'll be cleaning them from dust and debris all the time and can't just leave them lying around on any surface; and the stem is too short (it's the same length as the Sedna short version), which on 64 Audio IEMs means the end of the tip will sit flush with the IEM nozzle and any earwax or dirt will go straight onto the mesh instead of first getting caught in the tip. The second issue is the one reason I won't get these until Azla release a longer stemmed version like the Sednas.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #11,495 of 23,560
Great thanks!

Too many choices... The fit, short or light?!
Don't buy short unless your ears are in showroom condition. Light is slightly softer than the black version, but black apparently seals better. Short is good for TWS IEMs if you have any.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #11,498 of 23,560
@DavidS11 @Deferenz

I really appreciate your input. Looks like the trio with my horus will be a great pairing. I was wondering how the low mids sound on the trio? Way back when I was trying to decide wether to get the U18t or fourte, I compared the two demos using the Leonidas cable. I recall the u18t with the leonidas had this beautiful growing low mids.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #11,499 of 23,560
Two problems with the Xelastec that I can see (without having used them myself): they're more sticky than normal silicone, which means you'll be cleaning them from dust and debris all the time and can't just leave them lying around on any surface; and the stem is too short (it's the same length as the Sedna short version), which on 64 Audio IEMs means the end of the tip will sit flush with the IEM nozzle and any earwax or dirt will go straight onto the mesh instead of first getting caught in the tip. The second issue is the one reason I won't get these until Azla release a longer stemmed version like the Sednas.
The xelastec are sticky/grippy enough that you can position them at any length on the stem and they will stay there, so they don't necessarily need to be pushed all the way down the stem to expose the end of the stem directly to the ear.

But yea they are crazy dust magnets, and unlike other tips, trying to wipe them off like normal only transfers more dust and skin material onto the stem instead of the other way around.

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #11,503 of 23,560
I've had an opportunity to listen to the Nio recently and compare it to my Z1R. Some thoughts from a brief hour of listening and back and forth comparison:

First thing out of the way:
  • The MX module is unacceptable to me, IMO the subbass is practically completely gone and kind of ruins my idea of the purpose of a dynamic driver. At this point I would even go as far to say I can hear better extension from my ER4XR than the Nio with the MX.

The rest of these impressions were with M15 module:
  • Mids overall are a lot more forward on the Nio, especially the lower mids that felt slightly subdued on the Z1R. I would gauge clarity about on par with each other.
  • There's something special about the Z1R's dynamic driver tweeter treble texture that I can't really describe but I prefer to the Nio, even though they both have great extension - tia isn't just a gimmick.
  • Z1R bass seems to have a bit more rumble and emphasis in the sub regions, but I think this is due to more midbass on the Nio. Sony has always done a great job implementing bass on their dynamic drivers, but they are both excellent quality dynamic driver quality bass.
  • Fit is infinitely better on the Nio, they just disappear in my ears after a few minutes whereas the Z1R just feels intrusive from beginning to end and cause ear pain within half an hour.
  • Z1R soundstage feels wider and deeper than the Nio to me, imaging is about equal on both on first impression.

Overall, the Z1R sounds more like full sized speakers in your ear (a really big and bold sound), whereas the Nio sounds like a TOTL IEM with a lot of musicality with it (a great all rounder IMO). The Nio is smoother and doesn't fatigue as easily as the Z1R. Sometimes the Z1R treble sparkle can get to me after a while of listening. I'm definitely considering ordering a pair of these for myself now.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #11,504 of 23,560
I've had an opportunity to listen to the Nio recently and compare it to my Z1R. Some thoughts from a brief hour of listening and back and forth comparison:

- MX module is unacceptable to me, the subbass is practically completely gone and doesn't fit my tastes.
- Mids overall are a lot more forward on the Nio, especially the lower mids that felt slightly subdued on the Z1R
- There's something about the Z1R's dynamic treble that I can't really describe but I prefer to the Nio, even though they both have great extension.
- Z1R bass seems to have a bit more rumble in the sub regions, but I think this is due to more midbass on the Nio. They are both excellent quality dynamic driver quality bass.
- Fit is infinitely better on the Nio, they just disappear in my ears after a few minutes whereas the Z1R just feels intrusive from beginning to end and cause ear pain within half an hour.
- Z1R soundstage feels wider and deeper than the Nio to me, imaging is about equal on both on first impression.

Overall, the Z1R sounds like full sized speakers in your ear (a really big and bold sound), whereas the Nio sounds like a TOTL IEM with a lot of musicality with it (a great all rounder IMO). The Nio is smoother and doesn't fatigue as easily as the Z1R. Sometimes the Z1R treble sparkle can get to me after a while of listening. I'm definitely considering ordering a pair of these for myself now.
Great impressions, thanks for sharing. I love the nio so much, but the z1r has some really amazing qualities that the nio doesnt. The z1r definitely has more of that speaker like quality as you say. But I also agree, the nio is infinitely more comfortable and the z1r is really uncomfortable, to the point that I almost never actually use my z1r. However, I did just get custom tips made for them, so I am hoping they relieve the fit issues. While they arent that dissimilar sounding, they are both excellent, and I think I might be leaning towards keeping them both in my collection and paring down most else.

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #11,505 of 23,560

- MX module is unacceptable to me, the subbass is practically completely gone and doesn't fit my tastes.
- Mids overall are a lot more forward on the Nio, especially the lower mids that felt slightly subdued on the Z1R
- There's something about the Z1R's dynamic treble that I can't really describe but I prefer to the Nio, even though they both have great extension.
- Z1R bass seems to have a bit more rumble in the sub regions, but I think this is due to more midbass on the Nio. They are both excellent quality dynamic driver quality bass.
- Fit is infinitely better on the Nio, they just disappear in my ears after a few minutes whereas the Z1R just feels intrusive from beginning to end and cause ear pain within half an hour.
- Z1R soundstage feels wider and deeper than the Nio to me, imaging is about equal on both on first impression.

Overall, the Z1R sounds like full sized speakers in your ear (a really big and bold sound), whereas the Nio sounds like a TOTL IEM with a lot of musicality with it (a great all rounder IMO). The Nio is smoother and doesn't fatigue as easily as the Z1R. Sometimes the Z1R treble sparkle can get to me after a while of listening. I'm definitely considering ordering a pair of these for myself now.
Great feedback; I was strongly considering getting a Z1R right up to the point the Nio was announced. I was listening to the Nio earlier today and at one point couldn't believe I was listening to IEMs. The Nio's sound is BIG, bigger than I ever felt it was with the U12t (which has its own strengths). I've only used them with the M15 module so far, and doubt I'll need to switch to anything else. I'll give the MX a try, but like you say, it's probably not ideal for any tracks with sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back