The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 4, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #9,856 of 23,720
I have had a N8 in my cart for several days. Just haven’t pulled the trigger. I still think it may be too close to Trio or LX.
I have the N8 universal (thanks @mvvRAZ ), Trio and owned the LX for over a year. Might be new toy syndrome but would say the N8 has best overall SQ imo. I'll try to do an A/B comparison for you soon, but from memory the Trio is warmer, with less bass slam and rumble, and smoother mids and treble.

N8 is more etched/defined all over which leads to better imaging. Both have a wide stage but N8 is much deeper to me. Again, new toy syndrome so I'll try to give more critical impressions soon. I've been interested in custom N8s since they were announced, but Crinacles post on the variance between the universal and custom and generally lukewarm reviews elsewhere have killed the urge. Another thing to consider getting them custom

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #9,857 of 23,720
I have the N8 universal (thanks @mvvRAZ ), Trio and owned the LX for over a year. Might be new toy syndrome but would say the N8 has best overall SQ imo. I'll try to do an A/B comparison for you soon, but from memory the Trio is warmer, with less bass slam and rumble, and smoother mids and treble.

N8 is more etched/defined all over which leads to better imaging. Both have a wide stage but N8 is much deeper to me. Again, new toy syndrome so I'll try to give more critical impressions soon. I've been interested in custom N8s since they were announced, but Crinacles post on the variance between the universal and custom and generally lukewarm reviews elsewhere have killed the urge. Another thing to consider getting them custom

I'm curious if this has gotten better because the N8 would be perfect for me.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #9,858 of 23,720

I am looking forward your impressions and hopeI can get it on sale still if they are favorable to me.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #9,859 of 23,720

The N8 you bought off mvvRAZ, was that a universal demo version Michael bought from his local store? The reason I'm bringing this up, when I heard a universal demo version of N8 at CanJam a few years ago it was darker than CIEM version I received later for review. For the same reason, I hate to jump into the final conclusion yet about universal A18s demo I heard at recent CanJam until I hear the actual CIEM version of "s".

But at the same time, if you are comparing it to LX which is a bass cannon, the difference between actual CIEM N8 and universal store demo might be irrelevant :wink:

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #9,860 of 23,720
Apr 5, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #9,861 of 23,720
Here's the A18s featured in a short preview on Headfonia:
https://www.headfonia.com/first-look-64-audio-a18s/

64-audio-a18s-1.jpg

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #9,862 of 23,720
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #9,864 of 23,720
Ooof sensitive topic :D

1586075030668.png

That's all I'm saying on that matter. Of course, happy to be proven wrong. That being said, Headfonia has some of the prettiest product shots out there, so always appreciate those pics.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #9,866 of 23,720
To be fair, now that I think about it, I have seen it before, specifically the BTR3.

https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-btr3/

Ironically, never was a problem for me. One of the few times I actually disagreed with a negative review.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #9,867 of 23,720
Honest question here: has Headfonia ever given a bad review before?

Almost never. They might give a few flaws but will always highlight on the positive. Similar to most if not all reviewers. Only crinacle doesn’t hold back.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #9,869 of 23,720
I want to buy an after market 2.5mm balanced cable for the Trió’s but I don’t know which kind of 2-pin connector should I pick: right-angled or straight; recessed or non-recessed ? The stock cable is right-angled and seems recessed, so is this the most adequate combination ?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #9,870 of 23,720
I want to buy an after market 2.5mm balanced cable for the Trió’s but I don’t know which kind of 2-pin connector should I pick: right-angled or straight; recessed or non-recessed ? The stock cable is right-angled and seems recessed, so is this the most adequate combination ?

Thanks in advance.

Whether to get right-angled or straight is up to your personal preference; which feels more comfortable to you. Straight will allow you to wear the earphones with the cable down, should you ever want to. The Trio's socket is non-recessed, but non-recessed sockets can work with both recessed and non-recessed plugs. So, again, you can go with either. Though, I'd recommend you go with the recessed connectors, because it'll work with both recessed and non-recessed sockets, so you can use the cable with a larger variety of IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back