The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #6,796 of 23,684
Here's a review of the Mojo that I wrote recently :)

Lets start with Nina Simone’s “Don’t let me be misunderstood.” Sorry, that song wasn’t by Nina, that was by the Mojo, because the Mojo is (in my humble opinion) one of the most misunderstood DACs out there. To start with, while it looks pretty tacky with those plastic bubbly lights on photos, the build quality is actually excellent once you hold it in your hand and get a feel of it. The finish is in a very nice deep black colour, it is heavy, it is smooth and it just feels right in my hand. It comes in a very basic packaging, with one small charging cable, but ultimately that’s all you need. So far so good.

Let’s talk about the portability. While the design is somewhat misunderstood, the portability is (again, imho), severely misunderstood. The Mojo is a “portable” DAC in the sense that you can use it both while cooking on the kitchen counter, and also while you’re laying down on the couch, or at your office desk. The Mojo isn’t really “portable” in the sense that you can plug your IEMs in it and walk out on the street doing your little dance enjoying a nice day out with your music. That is, unless you want to look like a Christmas tree covered in cables from head to toe. The battery life is decent but far from excellent, so using it on a long day out will soon turn in 1) a logistical nightmare and 2) the battery might just die on you. According to spec it’s around 8 hours but I’ve found it to be a bit less than that during regular use.

Speaking of Christmas trees, the Mojo becomes somewhat portable during winter, when you find yourself having an additional jacket pocket, and you can keep the source in your trousers, adapter hanging out, USB cable connecting the adapter to the Mojo, and then your IEMs coming out of the Mojo. It also tends to heat up quite a bit, so using it during summer on the go really isn’t advisable.

On to the sound – and once again, a major misunderstanding. I got mine about 6 months ago, used it for a few days, and then stashed it away, thinking I was almost scammed as my Andromedas revealed a deeply unpleasant, constant hiss. The sound was quite bloated, not very precise, with little detail. It was a matching that was as bad as any I’ve tried, my simple Dragonfly Red did a much much better job. Scroll forward a few months, my DAP had no battery, and I found myself fiddling with the Mojo in my hands, so I figured, why not try it with my Focal Elegia. I expected nothing, but hey, when you’re bored enough anything will do.

Sweet lawd almighty. I listened to half a song, paused. Looked at the Mojo. Looked at the Elegia. Put the Elegia back on my head, listened some more. The rest of the day I don’t remember much of because I was simply entranced by the sweet perfection of the sound, it was unlike anything I imagined the Mojo or the Elegia could do. Instantly I went to the audio store and tested it with a range of headphones, all to a similar effect, even though not quite as exaggerated. I mean, the Mojo easily outperforms my RME ADI2 DAC when it comes to Elegia pairing (I’m a sworn RME fan but I simply have to admit the superiority). On a more technical level – the Mojo is quite warm, very detailed, with an extremely intimate and pleasant, fun presentation of the sound. A true hidden gem. The treble doesn’t suffer either, though it does feel slightly recessed compared to the mids, which are its absolute biggest strength from my experience.

All in all, in the correct setup, I believe that the Mojo is an absolutely stellar DAC, and has a place in any collection. It does take some effort to find a correct pairing for it though, one that allows it to really shine and show off its strengths. That being said, I believe that the time for an update/refresh is somewhat overdue. For one, I’d really appreciate it if I could bypass the battery entirely and use the Mojo as a desktop DAC with a power supply – that would get rid of the battery overheating issues and it would make it a much more lasting product. Some more options would be nice too, such as bass/treble knobs, or a gain switch. The ability to drive two headphones at the same time isn’t something I ever found myself using, and I don’t think I ever will, mostly because of the different sensitivities, meaning two sets of headphones usually require different volume levels.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #6,797 of 23,684

Lets start with Nina Simone’s “Don’t let me be misunderstood.” Sorry, that song wasn’t by Nina, that was by the Mojo, because the Mojo is (in my humble opinion) one of the most misunderstood DACs out there. To start with, while it looks pretty tacky with those plastic bubbly lights on photos, the build quality is actually excellent once you hold it in your hand and get a feel of it. The finish is in a very nice deep black colour, it is heavy, it is smooth and it just feels right in my hand. It comes in a very basic packaging, with one small charging cable, but ultimately that’s all you need. So far so good.

Let’s talk about the portability. While the design is somewhat misunderstood, the portability is (again, imho), severely misunderstood. The Mojo is a “portable” DAC in the sense that you can use it both while cooking on the kitchen counter, and also while you’re laying down on the couch, or at your office desk. The Mojo isn’t really “portable” in the sense that you can plug your IEMs in it and walk out on the street doing your little dance enjoying a nice day out with your music. That is, unless you want to look like a Christmas tree covered in cables from head to toe. The battery life is decent but far from excellent, so using it on a long day out will soon turn in 1) a logistical nightmare and 2) the battery might just die on you. According to spec it’s around 8 hours but I’ve found it to be a bit less than that during regular use.

Speaking of Christmas trees, the Mojo becomes somewhat portable during winter, when you find yourself having an additional jacket pocket, and you can keep the source in your trousers, adapter hanging out, USB cable connecting the adapter to the Mojo, and then your IEMs coming out of the Mojo. It also tends to heat up quite a bit, so using it during summer on the go really isn’t advisable.

On to the sound – and once again, a major misunderstanding. I got mine about 6 months ago, used it for a few days, and then stashed it away, thinking I was almost scammed as my Andromedas revealed a deeply unpleasant, constant hiss. The sound was quite bloated, not very precise, with little detail. It was a matching that was as bad as any I’ve tried, my simple Dragonfly Red did a much much better job. Scroll forward a few months, my DAP had no battery, and I found myself fiddling with the Mojo in my hands, so I figured, why not try it with my Focal Elegia. I expected nothing, but hey, when you’re bored enough anything will do.

Sweet lawd almighty. I listened to half a song, paused. Looked at the Mojo. Looked at the Elegia. Put the Elegia back on my head, listened some more. The rest of the day I don’t remember much of because I was simply entranced by the sweet perfection of the sound, it was unlike anything I imagined the Mojo or the Elegia could do. Instantly I went to the audio store and tested it with a range of headphones, all to a similar effect, even though not quite as exaggerated. I mean, the Mojo easily outperforms my RME ADI2 DAC when it comes to Elegia pairing (I’m a sworn RME fan but I simply have to admit the superiority). On a more technical level – the Mojo is quite warm, very detailed, with an extremely intimate and pleasant, fun presentation of the sound. A true hidden gem. The treble doesn’t suffer either, though it does feel slightly recessed compared to the mids, which are its absolute biggest strength from my experience.

All in all, in the correct setup, I believe that the Mojo is an absolutely stellar DAC, and has a place in any collection. It does take some effort to find a correct pairing for it though, one that allows it to really shine and show off its strengths. That being said, I believe that the time for an update/refresh is somewhat overdue. For one, I’d really appreciate it if I could bypass the battery entirely and use the Mojo as a desktop DAC with a power supply – that would get rid of the battery overheating issues and it would make it a much more lasting product. Some more options would be nice too, such as bass/treble knobs, or a gain switch. The ability to drive two headphones at the same time isn’t something I ever found myself using, and I don’t think I ever will, mostly because of the different sensitivities, meaning two sets of headphones usually require different volume levels.
Nice comments, only time I tried them was during a show with a HD820, didn't impress me, but it was a show, just a few minutes. So I don't consider it. I did try the Hugo 2 the same day and didn't impress me either. but would really like to try it with the 64 lineup, as that is how they see their matching.

Cables and adapters also annoys me to the bone. another reason I got rid of DAC/AMPs and went to the DAP world.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #6,798 of 23,684
Nice comments, only time I tried them was during a show with a HD820, didn't impress me, but it was a show, just a few minutes. So I don't consider it. I did try the Hugo 2 the same day and didn't impress me either. but would really like to try it with the 64 lineup, as that is how they see their matching.

Cables and adapters also annoys me to the bone. another reason I got rid of DAC/AMPs and went to the DAP world.
Yeah I'm also not a big fan of having 15 different cables on me at all times

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #6,799 of 23,684

The Mojo really, really needs an update though, it's no longer the benchmark at its price point imo, there's just way too many other options out there that do what it does but better - for full sized headphones maybe, but def not IEMs

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #6,800 of 23,684

Thanks for the review. I had one for a bit and liked it as well, but when I realized it is really not practical for mobile listening just as you did, I returned it for the Hugo 2. I felt and still feel the Hugo 2 is excellent, and since I decided to use it for portable desktop use (just as you explained) why not have the better DAC. I had been hoping to use the mojo with the Poly, but just hated the way that product worked. Anyway, nice review. Tks.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #6,801 of 23,684
Thanks for the review. I had one for a bit and liked it as well, but when I realized it is really not practical for mobile listening just as you did, I returned it for the Hugo 2. I felt and still feel the Hugo 2 is excellent, and since I decided to use it for portable desktop use (just as you explained) why not have the better DAC. I had been hoping to use the mojo with the Poly, but just hated the way that product worked. Anyway, nice review. Tks.
I think you made the right call returning the Mojo for the Hugo 2. I only use my Mojo once every few weeks, when I specifically feel like listening to my Elegia and not my IEMs, but again, that's pretty rare - I'm generally an IEMs kind of person. Currently running the RME ADI 2 DAC as a desktop solution, and loving it :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #6,803 of 23,684
Guys, any expected real date for the 64A new release? the anxiety after selling both my Sony's is killing at this point. Holding the trigger on a couple options to see how this new one will come. Also, will it be Custom too?

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #6,804 of 23,684
A great pairing with my coffee this morning while reading all the Fourte chatter.

Poly/Mojo-Fourte/stock cable/Paradigm tips and of course — Venti Pike.

Porcupine Tree adds to the pairing.

Thanks for the great reading.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #6,805 of 23,684
I had the U12t on loan from 64 Audio this weekend and found my QP1R at normal listening volume (40/120) produced very good bass that surprised me as being from a BA driver.

mwhals, the question I'd ask is, "How did the U12t sound to you if you lowered your volume from 40 to 35?" I'm sure your QP1R is very different than my AK70 Mk II. I only put the volume levels in my post so people could see that I only bumped the volume by about 15% rather than making it twice as loud. I was surprised by how much difference just a bit of extra volume made in the sound.

No question to me, the U12t are wonderful. I enjoyed having them.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #6,807 of 23,684
Thank you Tony and the others who clarified how to store the U12ts. I have been searching but could not find a definitive answer, do the U12ts require burn in? if yes, recommended time?

Umar
I found the 18s to improve with listening time but I can't tell you if it is mental or actual burn in

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #6,808 of 23,684
mwhals, the question I'd ask is, "How did the U12t sound to you if you lowered your volume from 40 to 35?" I'm sure your QP1R is very different than my AK70 Mk II. I only put the volume levels in my post so people could see that I only bumped the volume by about 15% rather than making it twice as loud. I was surprised by how much difference just a bit of extra volume made in the sound.

No question to me, the U12t are wonderful. I enjoyed having them.

I do not recall not hearing good bass at any of the volumes I used, but I do not believe I went below 40 and I no longer have the U12t to test it.

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #6,809 of 23,684
lol im reading about the orpheus now which makes me appreciate the fact that im gunna be the proud owner of $3600 earbuds tomorrow! lol they cant be that bad!!!!!!!!!

and while you at it, also read about oBravo RA C Cu $10k iems...

You must be one tortured soul, bro, cause in the last 100 posts you made in this thread over the last two weeks, you are constantly flip-flopping about something you haven't received yet and trying to make up your mind based on reading other people's impressions. Still don't understand since you are next door to audio46 store in Manhattan where they have Fourte on display for audition and you only had a brief listening without going back to hear it more. Who cares what other people think, it's your money and you are listening with your ears, your source, your favorite music to figure out if you do or don't like it... And I'm only guessing, that in a few days when you are going to receive Fourte, there will be another 100 posts with more flip-flopping and asking people to convince you to keep them :p Then, followed by release of a new 64 Audio IEM in a few weeks where it will be "rinse and repeat again" :D

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #6,810 of 23,684
and while you at it, also read about oBravo RA C Cu $10k iems...

You must be one tortured soul, bro, cause in the last 100 posts you made in this thread over the last two weeks, you are constantly flip-flopping about something you haven't received yet and trying to make up your mind based on reading other people's impressions. Still don't understand since you are next door to audio46 store in Manhattan where they have Fourte on display for audition and you only had a brief listening without going back to hear it more. Who cares what other people think, it's your money and you are listening with your ears, your source, your favorite music to figure out if you do or don't like it... And I'm only guessing, that in a few days when you are going to receive Fourte, there will be another 100 posts with more flip-flopping and asking people to convince you to keep them :p Then, followed by release of a new 64 Audio IEM in a few weeks where it will be "rinse and repeat again" :D
The Ra remains one of the most unimpressive IEMs I've heard to this day, off-topic :D

I'm pretty sure he's either really young or just a troll though, the only thing that's worked so far is ignoring the constant shitposting, I wouldn't bother if I were you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back