The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #5,401 of 23,560
Hi guys, I am considering getting a custom IEM and trying to decide between the A18 or Jerry Harvey Layla.
There is no way I can test both in store so just have to take a leap of faith.

Based on on-line reviews A18 seems to be somehow better.
I am especially interested in its APEX technology, which is supposed to make it more comfortable to listen over long periods of time.
Is this APEX technology actually making a difference? Just curious!

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #5,402 of 23,560
Hi guys, I am considering getting a custom IEM and trying to decide between the A18 or Jerry Harvey Layla.
There is no way I can test both in store so just have to take a leap of faith.

Based on on-line reviews A18 seems to be somehow better.
I am especially interested in its APEX technology, which is supposed to make it more comfortable to listen over long periods of time.
Is this APEX technology actually making a difference? Just curious!

Thanks!

I tested both 6 months ago. The Layla is definitely the best in JH lineup, but it can't light a candle to the 18.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #5,403 of 23,560
I tested both 6 months ago. The Layla is definitely the best in JH lineup, but it can't light a candle to the 18.

Yes, that's what I have been reading basically in my own research.
It's just hard to believe that A18 can be that much better than already a flagship model IEM (Layla to be more precise in this particular case)

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5,404 of 23,560
Yes, that's what I have been reading basically in my own research.
It's just hard to believe that A18 can be that much better than already a flagship model IEM (Layla to be more precise in this particular case)

I started with the Layla and as much as I appreciated its prowess, I wasn't fully satisfied, let alone eager to spend the money. It was a touch too revealing and the sound a wee unfocused, as if the channels lacked a final round of mixing. The background wasn't as black as I'd expected.

Honestly, JH is a pioneer, but he has fallen back in the race. I also dislike his business ethics: the baselese lawsuit against 64audio for one: charging more money for his larger design logo for another (as if it costs any more more--not to mention it's actually free advertising for his brand)

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,405 of 23,560
I started with the Layla and as much as I appreciated its prowess, I wasn't fully satisfied, let alone eager to spend the money. It was a touch too revealing and the sound a wee unfocused, as if the channels lacked a final round of mixing. The background wasn't as black as I'd expected.

Honestly, JH is a pioneer, but he has fallen back in the race. I also dislike his business ethics: the baselese lawsuit against 64audio for one: charging more money for his larger design logo for another (as if it costs any more more--not to mention it's actually free advertising for his brand)

Fair enough.
Do you own A64 product now though?
Also its APEX technology, do you feel like it makes any difference or its not a big deal?

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #5,406 of 23,560
Fair enough.
Do you own A64 product now though?
Also its APEX technology, do you feel like it makes any difference or its not a big deal?

A12t - - I'm content. It's not as accurate or revealing as the 18, but in my opinion more musical. I use it solely when riding my motorcycle.

The Apex... The 20 an 15 modules sound different so yes, an impact does exist.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #5,408 of 23,560
A12t - - I'm content. It's not as accurate or revealing as the 18, but in my opinion more musical. I use it solely when riding my motorcycle.
The Apex... The 20 an 15 modules sound different so yes, an impact does exist.

So you tried both and preferred the A12?
That's interesting.
I am honestly not looking for the most "accurate" IEM's, I want to enjoy the music but high quality one lol.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #5,409 of 23,560
There's no doubt the 18 is the more capable of the two, but it's referencial in nature. With it I listen to the music, whereas with the 12 I drift along.

Mind you, it depends on the genre. The 12, with its deep bottom, readily avail itself to EDM, deep house and the likes.

As for the Apex or ADEL medical benefits, I purposely refrain from touching on it since there's no data to back the claims. You can Google it.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #5,410 of 23,560
There's no doubt the 18 is the more capable of the two, but it's referencial in nature. With it I listen to the music, whereas with the 12 I drift along.

Mind you, it depends on the genre. The 12, with its deep bottom, readily avail itself to EDM, deep house and the likes.

As for the Apex or ADEL medical benefits, I purposely refrain from touching on it since there's no data to back the claims. You can Google it.

Ok thanks for sharing your experience, it helps!

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #5,411 of 23,560
So you tried both and preferred the A12?
That's interesting.
I am honestly not looking for the most "accurate" IEM's, I want to enjoy the music but high quality one lol.
I’m demo a12t and a18t before order first one.

For me a18t can be a reference iem ,analytical wider soundstage easy to image ,and have a space between instrument.

a12t is another signature ,bass has more imapct and pumping faster. Mid smoother and softer maybe call more relax sound. Treble not shine as a18t but less sharp.

So the conclusion reference iem go for a18t
More musical enjoyable iem go for a12t
Or need more warm vocal and bass extender go for n8t

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #5,412 of 23,560
I have been using my N8T for a while, and loving it. But, is anyone else sharing a similar experience that it is very easy to get the fit off which leads to channel imbalance? If i fit it in too snugly or force one side to be looser than the other, it leads to one side having less/more bass than the other.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #5,413 of 23,560
I have been using my N8T for a while, and loving it. But, is anyone else sharing a similar experience that it is very easy to get the fit off which leads to channel imbalance? If i fit it in too snugly or force one side to be looser than the other, it leads to one side having less/more bass than the other.
You may have to send them for a refit, most people I talk to say their 64's have the best, tightest fit

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #5,414 of 23,560

Just to hazard a guess, having you been using the solid core module all this time?

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #5,415 of 23,560
I just got an update on my N8. The wood faceplates have been applied. Graphics is next so it is moving along very nicely and I think ahead of schedule. Thumbs up to the crew at 64 Audio for the detailed updates.
I just got some good news from 64 Audio, or at least their representatives here in Hong Kong. Since the Wood Faceplates being applied on September 24th, they have now completed the Graphics, Prepping, Buffing and QC so it is not being shipped half way around the world. I have no idea how long it will take to get here but it took about three business days plus the weekend to go from here to the US (Thursday to Tuesday). Maybe I will get them this weekend? I'll post up some pictures when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back