The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,246 of 23,562
Does it make sense if the larger foam tip produces less pain or no pain at all compared to the medium ones?I ordered the mandarines symbios to test them out. The stiff start of the stock cable is irritating my ears skin from the top. The sound is great but I find some things 64audio could have done better, the case, the cable and the tips. Also looking for great jazz albums or Philharmonic to demo the SQ. I'm hearing more details in my usual tracks but want to hear what they bring on new music. Something jazzy. Also @twister6 since you have a galaxy note 4 do you have an app that measures sound volume in decibels?most are using the mic..

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,247 of 23,562
With the Symbio mandarines (L size) I can keep them almost not pushed in at all, and still get a perfect seal. (You notice immediately, when you get it right -- the bass starts filling the entire bottom of the soundstage and reverberating in a very impressive way on almost all tracks. Same thing as when I figured out how to use the comply 500 tips on Laylas). The great thing about not having to push the u18 in at all with the mandarines, is that while I get great bass, the tia high driver has more space in my ear to work with. The soundstage becomes even wider, separation even better than with a deep or medium fit.

I just wish symbio made mandarines in a ML size, between the M and L. They are a taaad bit too large for me...

Oh and the u18 has nearly perfect bass btw. I'd like only a tad bit more sub bass perhaps, but that would probably 1) compromize the soundstage 2) distract from their mid-bass focus which is the best I've ever heard in... any audio device really. that smooth warm, perfectly detailed mid bass.

A final note on insertion depth: at first I wished the u18 were a deeper nozzle design, like the layla. Now I realize it's actually supposed to be a pretty shallow fit, like the fidue A83. This helps it achieve a wider stage, and it's way less fatiguing than deep fit IEMs.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #4,248 of 23,562
I'm really sad as I like the u18t more now but the shells seem to be big for my ears It starts to hurt after an hour of listening. It hurts my cartilage, specifically the antihelix. I wanna know if my ears can get used to it or I'm putting them for sale of anyone is interested

You’ve owned them for 2 days, I think you need to give them a bit more of a chance. IEMs can take some getting used to, nothing you buy will be perfect you have to temper your expectations even though it costs 3k it’s not a panacea.

May 12, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #4,249 of 23,562
Does it make sense if the larger foam tip produces less pain or no pain at all compared to the medium ones?I ordered the mandarines symbios to test them out. The stiff start of the stock cable is irritating my ears skin from the top. The sound is great but I find some things 64audio could have done better, the case, the cable and the tips. Also looking for great jazz albums or Philharmonic to demo the SQ. I'm hearing more details in my usual tracks but want to hear what they bring on new music. Something jazzy. Also @twister6 since you have a galaxy note 4 do you have an app that measures sound volume in decibels?most are using the mic..

I don't think it's possible to measure the SPL coming out of the IEM through an app, because it depends on the IEM's impedance and sensitivity, and there's no way for the phone to determine that through software. I'm sure there are formulas online that can help you determine that figure via the IEM's specifications and the device's output power.

I can suggest several albums that shine on great gear:
Geography - Tom Misch
Spin - Jazvolution
In My Room - Jacob Collier
Culcha Vulcha - Snarky Puppy
Faded - RVRB
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
We Could Be Lovers - Sarah McKenzie
The Joy of Motion - Animals As Leaders

If you're looking for a perfect fit with the U18t, consider asking 64Audio if they could exchange your unit for an A18t.

May 12, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,250 of 23,562
I don't think it's possible to measure the SPL coming out of the IEM through an app, because it depends on the IEM's impedance and sensitivity, and there's no way for the phone to determine that through software. I'm sure there are formulas online that can help you determine that figure via the IEM's specifications and the device's output power.

I can suggest several albums that shine on great gear:
Geography - Tom Misch
Spin - Jazvolution
In My Room - Jacob Collier
Culcha Vulcha - Snarky Puppy
Faded - RVRB
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
We Could Be Lovers - Sarah McKenzie
The Joy of Motion - Animals As Leaders

If you're looking for a perfect fit with the U18t, consider asking 64Audio if they could exchange your unit for an A18t.
Santana jango live from Mexico, what a delight. That bass!!and the guitar riffs are hitting the sweet notes. Great track to hear the wonders of these iems

May 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #4,251 of 23,562
For an orchestra piece, I highly recommend Maleficent movie sound track.

May 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,252 of 23,562

With large eartips you don't need to insert shell/nozzle as deep, and with foam (for example, 64 audio included ones are softer than comply) you can try one size bigger. Considering over ear cable fit (and memory wire to support it), you can stick them out a little more and still have a secure fit. That will help with a more comfortable fit. Definitely, as many pointed out, try Symbio W hybrid eartips (hopefully you were able to order S/M/L variety pack), these should help.

May 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,253 of 23,562
With large eartips you don't need to insert shell/nozzle as deep, and with foam (for example, 64 audio included ones are softer than comply) you can try one size bigger. Considering over ear cable fit (and memory wire to support it), you can stick them out a little more and still have a secure fit. That will help with a more comfortable fit. Definitely, as many pointed out, try Symbio W hybrid eartips (hopefully you were able to order S/M/L variety pack), these should help.
Yup I ordered a pack of 3

May 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #4,254 of 23,562
LOOK WHAT CAME
OI000026-01.jpeg

May 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #4,256 of 23,562
DFR is my go-to commute DAC. I use it with all my IEMs (A12t, Andro, Vega, ER4XR). Works great for all of them. It's a clean no-frills DAC. Certainly gets the job done.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check the Dragonfly Red first. If that isn't satisfying maybe I'll look into one of the A&K DAPs. Looks like A&K is releasing a couple of more affordable models this month and next month SE100 & SR15. Maybe I go for one of those and sell the Hugo 2 as my portable setup.

Has anyone heard impressions of the SE100 & SR15 vs. Hugo 2?

PS: The Symbio eartips look interesting. I'm going to check those out as I like silicone better but prefer the seal of foam. Looks like this might resolve that concern :ksc75smile:!

May 12, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,257 of 23,562
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check the Dragonfly Red first. If that isn't satisfying maybe I'll look into one of the A&K DAPs. Looks like A&K is releasing a couple of more affordable models this month and next month SE100 & SR15. Maybe I go for one of those and sell the Hugo 2 as my portable setup.

Has anyone heard impressions of the SE100 & SR15 vs. Hugo 2?

PS: The Symbio eartips look interesting. I'm going to check those out as I like silicone better but prefer the seal of foam. Looks like this might resolve that concern :ksc75smile:!

Just a note, you can’t stream very well on A & K devices, and you cannot use streaming “offline mode” with any of them

May 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #4,258 of 23,562
Guys, didnt want to start another thread, but can you tell me how you compare two iems? I think the mojo is great for this purpose as it has 2 3.5 SE outputs so I can plug 2 iems at the same time. Question what's the best way to compare 2? I feel like my ears cannot distinguish between my W60 and my u18t. I mean the soundstage is wider and higher on the u18t and the transparency and the separation is better but cant say anything about everything else.

May 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4,260 of 23,562
I like to use songs I know really well and go back and forth
My brain/ear memory sucks so I cant rely on it. On thing that I do is play a song I have listened to a lot and notice a difference but if I do it straight away I dont pick up differences in the details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back