The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,226 of 23,560
I'd love amp3 and 5 comparisons with Tia stuff!

The Fourtes will take a while but I'll let you know. Once the AMP 5 comes I can let you know how to compares to AMP 3 with my A12ts

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #3,227 of 23,560
Fourtes ordered! Cannot wait! What cables have people paired successfully with these?
Leonidas is great, particularly with the slightly warm WM1Z.
IMG_4006.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,228 of 23,560
Gorgeous! I wish that Sony had WiFi...I can't understand excluding it, it continues to be the only reason I don't buy one.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,229 of 23,560
I see. I'm curious to know if there are sound quality differences between the U10 and the univeral A10 (custom demo units).

I’ve tried both and they sound the same. It’s a very nice set of IEMs. At $950, they are great buy.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,230 of 23,560
Gorgeous! I wish that Sony had WiFi...I can't understand excluding it, it continues to be the only reason I don't buy one.
I can understand that. I had a Tidal subscription for a long time until I concluded I was using it a lot less than listening to my own collection. Now I'm happy that the UI doesn't clutter up with apps that use up battery power. I might be mistaken, but I could never get Android interface to completely power down some functions that seemed to be running in the background. Anyway, battery runs about 20 hours for me now, and that's a winner for me! :ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,231 of 23,560
I can understand that. I had a Tidal subscription for a long time until I concluded I was using it a lot less than listening to my own collection. Now I'm happy that the UI doesn't clutter up with apps that use up battery power. I might be mistaken, but I could never get Android interface to completely power down some functions that seemed to be running in the background. Anyway, battery runs about 20 hours for me now, and that's a winner for me! :ksc75smile:

That is true, you cannot power down all the applications. Fun fact, closing applications on your phone or device doesn't necessarily save battery power because closing applications doesn't mean they aren't running, just that you can't see them :wink:.

Still I listen to so much new music, if I were to buy it all it would be impractical :frowning2:...still I understand where you are coming from. If I could download all my music practically, I would.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,232 of 23,560
That is true, you cannot power down all the applications. Fun fact, closing applications on your phone or device doesn't necessarily save battery power because closing applications doesn't mean they aren't running, just that you can't see them :wink:.

Still I listen to so much new music, if I were to buy it all it would be impractical :frowning2:...still I understand where you are coming from. If I could download all my music practically, I would.
I use Tidal to check out new songs but only on my Mac -> Hugo 2. If I find something I like, I buy them and download to my portables. Hence, I don’t use WiFi on my DAPs.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,233 of 23,560
I'm hoping that streaming continues to get better and better. Your approach is somthing I may potentially do so I can get the WM1Z. Where do you all download music from?

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,234 of 23,560
I'm hoping that streaming continues to get better and better. Your approach is somthing I may potentially do so I can get the WM1Z. Where do you all download music from?
HDtracks, ProStudioMasters, and AcousticSounds are my goto online stores.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,236 of 23,560
With amp5 on DX200 with the A18t, the bass slams so hard I can actually switch to m15 over m20, and get the increased clarity and soundstage of m15 with the thunderous bass slam, too. Incredible pairing.

What cable are you using? Ares II+?

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,238 of 23,560
Yep. It’s such a great combo. With m20, it’s a proper bass monster, too.
i dont like too much bass and prefer a flat signature. The U18's are great but i just want to feel more of the bass guitar in a few of my tracks. I like the sig of the m15 more than the m20. when i turn up the player it opens up the U18's but its too loud(i want access that openness at a lower volume). On my 1Z SE, i listen to the volume at 19, but its way to low for the U18's. On my layla's i never go above 29 clicks on the volume unless i am listening to classical. on the U18's i have to go to 29 and higher. I like a darker sound sig for certain tracks, @Giraku might be the best or anyone with the laylas or a similar sig, will the Ares ii+ cables come close to this sig? I like the U18's for my vocals but if the Ares ii+ on 4.4 balance gets my closer to a darker layla sig I will order the cable tonight.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #3,240 of 23,560
So, cables, man! :D It seems to be a pretty unanimously held belief that the U18 does not benefit from super expensive TOTL cables. Am I right? I've only ever heard truly good things about the horus with the U18, and even that mentioned brightness issues. Whereas there's a ton of suggestions for pw audio no 5, eros II, ares II, and other cheaper copper cables.

I have not started cable rolling yet, but this makes sense to me. Detail, for the first time ever, does not seem like a goal when cable rolling the U18. They have plenty of detail. I'd say 5% more than I have use for. I could not really ask for more, which takes away the main selling point of a super expensive silver cable like most TOTLs from DHC, effect audio, etc. Is a soundstage a goal then? Yes and no. I would like a little soundstage improvement (I always do) but it's not as important as with other IEMs. Again, the soundstage on the U18 is already giant. 7% wider and more 3D, why not, cool -- but I wouldn't pay 1500 for it. Nor would I pay 800. From what I hear, cheaper coppers also give a little soundstage boost (let's say 5%), so the difference wouldn't be all that massive.

So what do I want? Pretty much the only 2 things missing from the U18 at this point are
1) a little more analogue body (they already have some and seem like they could use a bit more bass slam)
2) finer control over the modules. That is: something between the 15 and 20 module sound. I'm not the only one, who would like 15 treble -- if only a tad bit smoother -- with 20 low end. Taking a copper cable (warm) and pairing it with the 15 module (bright) seems like a good way to achieve this.

For that, the Eros II, Ares II and pw audio no 5 seem perfect. So, is it true? The only thing to waste more money on is perhaps getting an 8 wire version of these cables? I heard the U18 agrees with 8 wire builds. Or perhaps, from the TOTL cables, trying the pw audio 1960 cable, being a rare TOTL copper -- yet even this, I've heard, can make the U18 seem hot.

Or have I misunderstood something? Theoretically, would paring the m20 module (the darker one) with a super detaled TOTL cable produce a better cross of the 15 and 20, than pairing a 15 with a cheaper copper? It seems to be possible. But then that cable would also tighten bass the way silvers tend to, or make the U18 lose warmth and thus the magic in it's tuning. (Which I suspect is the reason why not a lot of reviews suggest the U18 with TOTL silver cables in the first place, and say it agrees with coppers -- that special warm tuning is something to keep).

Any thoughts on this?

My favorite pairing was the Dita Cu cable and the U18. I did not have any TOTL cables to test otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back