The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #21,031 of 23,575
The MX module pretty much just removes the bass shelf (not entirely but that’s the general idea). If you’re still considering it but are on the fence Fir Audio makes modules that fit 64’s IEMs for just about half the price, they are called +(~=M20), N(~=M15), -(-13dB, no 64a equivalent) and 0(~=MX). The $199 listed on the page is for all 4 modules, -$150 (comes to $49usd) for a single set.

https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-4pk

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #21,032 of 23,575
so just less bass? Makes sense. I guess I'll stick with the m15 then :D

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #21,033 of 23,575
Hi 64 Audio Family!

I'm a proud owner of a Tia Trio and for the past year I have tried many different ear tips. It was a struggle to find the perfect ones (espacially silicone tips) and I just wanna share my thoughts as you might be interested:

Foam tips:
I think the original 64 Audio foam tips are some of the best. They don't change the sound much and are very comfortable. Depending on the music, I actually really like that they are taming the treble a little bit.
Comply Foam:
I had many different ones. Was never a big fan of any them, they were always comfortable and isolation is good but I think they change the sound more than any other tip I have tried. And I had to replace them more frequently than other foam tips (the foam just starts to fall apart)
Symbio F:
My favorite Foam tips. Probably the most comfortable tips I have tried. No drastic changes of the sound, just a little bit "warmer" sounding overall. Great Isolation similar to the original 64 Audio foam tips. The orange colour is not for everyone, but the Trios look great with them in my opinion :)

Silicon tips:
I have always struggled with the fit of silicone tips.
The original 64 Audio silicone tips are quite soft and comfortable but i could never get a sealed fit in both of my ears.
AZLA Xelatec:
Because of their sticky nature, I had a great sealed fit with them and the sound was very clean. But especially over longer listening sessions they weren't the most comfortable. The constant cleaning is another thing which was kind of annoying (every dust particle sticks to them)
Final E, SpinFits, Spiral Dot:
I owned several different silicone tips of these brands. All of them were very soft and felt comfortable in my ears. But I still couldn't get the fit right.
Acoustune AET06 Double Flange:
These are the very best silcone tips to me. Very comfortable, even over longer periods and perfect sealed fit. Sound is very clean (as always with silcone tips) and overall just my first choice on the Tia Trios.

Maybe this post is a bit long and i do apologize for my english. But definitely give the Symbio F Foam tips and the Acoustune AET06 Double Flange tips a try if you can.

Enjoy your music!
+1 for both Symbio F’s and the Xelastics
Symbio F has a starter pack with different sizes that is pretty neat- I can use L size but in fact have asymmetric ear canals so I love this option L on Right M on Left. I found with the stock foam tips I was losing too much bass impact (i prefer the MX module but those ones take it TOO far). Symbio Fs are by far the most comfortable of all the foams I’ve tried.

Xelastics are as described. After a while they soften and then sort of conform to the shape of the inner concha so provide a good seal without losing bass - this has been my favorite tip with some iems (EE LX) but not so much for U12T- as the nozzle seems to touch the skin of the concha unless I twist the IEM around to just the right orientation which is difficult to maintain. Then also, after using the same Xelastics for a long time, they get too floppy and start to actually cover the nozzle when in my ear unless I’m very careful. Supposedly one can get them to return to their original shape by immersing them in boiling hot water briefly. I have tried this and it works —somewhat— not entirely. Of course, one can change to a new tip set, but it then takes a while for the Xelastics to soften up and provide that great fit. Symbio Fs have none of this problem so have become my preferred tip for the U12T.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #21,034 of 23,575
Symbio F has a starter pack with different sizes that is pretty neat- I can use L size but in fact have asymmetric ear canals so I love this option L on Right M on Left.
It's funny, that's what I've been using, Symbio F, L on the right and M on the left. Actually my right ear canal is narrower, so I think the L works because it must be covering the ear canal rather than going inside it.

But it's still not a perfect fit. I have a bit less isolation on the right than the left. I am experimenting with different tips (only foam) to see if I can get a better fit, but I wonder if this is common, to have one or both ears with an imperfect fit, and you just decide to live with it and continue using the IEMs rather than switch to another pair....? In a relatively quiet room it doesn't seem to matter much at all, it sounds good. On a noisy train it does matter because I can indeed hear the outside noise more in the right ear and it can create an imbalance. Basically though I find the sound of the U12t so excellent that I'm going to stick with them regardless, even if it means just using them in quieter places.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #21,035 of 23,575
This is something I posted on the Effect Audio board, but you can see I use Symbio F on my Trio. I’m a bit sensitive to highs and I find that these tips really help to remove the feisty zing that you can get from the Trio’s treble.

1663868971424.jpeg

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #21,036 of 23,575
Hello guys, I am wondering if anyone has both the Sony MDR-Z1R (not IER-Z1R) and 64 A18t/U18t? could you provide a comparison? I know this is a mismatched comparison but I have been considering trading or selling MDR-Z1R for a18t and I am not sure if this is worth it. Thanks

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #21,037 of 23,575
For those that have the N8’s, any ideas on where to go next on the upgrade path? I’m not in any rush to upgrade but I’m just curious for those that have/had them what they considered upgrading to

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #21,038 of 23,575
For those that have the N8’s, any ideas on where to go next on the upgrade path? I’m not in any rush to upgrade but I’m just curious for those that have/had them what they considered upgrading to
I don’t own an N8, but i’ve heard the Nio once or twice so i’ve got a rough idea of what it sounds like.

While not necessarily an “upgrade“ per se, you might have a look at FiR Audio’s Frontier series. They share quite a lot of 64audio DNA, so if you’re happy with the N8 you’ll find a lot to like about them. None of the FiR’s could be considered anything remotely close to ‘neutral’, but depending what you’re after, i’d say any of the 3 could complement your N8 very well.
They all have fantastic bass, but to my ears the Xe6 is just about end game to satisfy my basshead tendencies while still being able to deliver exceptional detail and lightness when required. Since getting my A12t a few months ago i’m on a break from getting anything else, and tho I’m not quite fully committed, i’m saving my pennies. Or should i say c-notes…

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #21,039 of 23,575
Have you read Crinacl’s reviews of the N8 and Nio? Pretty much he particularly liked the universal demo version of the N8, got the custom N8 and didn’t like it (he has a video about how he modded it to get it closer to the demo). He considered the Nio to be practically the same as the universal demo N8 (which he, again, very much liked).

So, if you get a chance try the Nio. It’d be more of a side grade but might end up being what you are looking for. More than that,… I’d need to know if you’re looking for something similar but better or complementary and if so in what way. The u/a12t might be worth a listen, I’m still considering that in addition to the Nio. I’ve also had my eye on the Symphonium Helios or CA Andromeda but especially the latter I’d have to demo before seriously considering it.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #21,040 of 23,575
Have you read Crinacl’s reviews of the N8 and Nio? Pretty much he particularly liked the universal demo version of the N8, got the custom N8 and didn’t like it (he has a video about how he modded it to get it closer to the demo). He considered the Nio to be practically the same as the universal demo N8 (which he, again, very much liked).

So, if you get a chance try the Nio. It’d be more of a side grade but might end up being what you are looking for. More than that,… I’d need to know if you’re looking for something similar but better or complementary and if so in what way. The u/a12t might be worth a listen, I’m still considering that in addition to the Nio. I’ve also had my eye on the Symphonium Helios or CA Andromeda but especially the latter I’d have to demo before seriously considering it.
I had the Nio’s before I got the N8’s. While I do agree that the Nio’s BA drivers are tuned a little better than the N8’s, the dynamic driver is tuned exactly the same. i definitely prefer the custom fit of the N8 over the Nio, and that alone is enough for me not to go back.
I don’t own an N8, but i’ve heard the Nio once or twice so i’ve got a rough idea of what it sounds like.

While not necessarily an “upgrade“ per se, you might have a look at FiR Audio’s Frontier series. They share quite a lot of 64audio DNA, so if you’re happy with the N8 you’ll find a lot to like about them. None of the FiR’s could be considered anything remotely close to ‘neutral’, but depending what you’re after, i’d say any of the 3 could complement your N8 very well.
They all have fantastic bass, but to my ears the Xe6 is just about end game to satisfy my basshead tendencies while still being able to deliver exceptional detail and lightness when required. Since getting my A12t a few months ago i’m on a break from getting anything else, and tho I’m not quite fully committed, i’m saving my pennies. Or should i say c-notes…
I will definitely have to check out Fir Audio, they look like the next step up. Thanks for the reccomendation!

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #21,042 of 23,575
After having the 64 Audio Nio for less than a week I have changed my mind. When I first heard them at CanJam SoCal 2022 I thought they were one of the best IEMs I had heard and because of the pressure relief, one of the most comfortable. I really only ever need 2-4 favorite songs to know that a headphone or IEM is very good or bad, I have never had to back track on my initial impressions and these are no exception. Now I am certain that they are the best IEM I have heard! Magic. These along with my LCD-XC, 7hz Timeless, Qudeliz 5K and RME ADI-2 PRO FS R are now part of my small forever collection. So I added a small Seahorse case, a Linsoul Kinera Ace cable w/ detachable 2.5/3.5/4.4 adapters and a Fir Audio N13 module.

Attachments

• 2B03EC99-7857-4F59-B553-4CFA4387B0D7.jpeg
    2B03EC99-7857-4F59-B553-4CFA4387B0D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • E4722196-6793-4E9A-B591-5C2671F1ACE7.jpeg
    E4722196-6793-4E9A-B591-5C2671F1ACE7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 41C734C4-63DE-468F-912F-C9B22E9397A0.jpeg
    41C734C4-63DE-468F-912F-C9B22E9397A0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #21,043 of 23,575
After having the 64 Audio Nio for less than a week I have changed my mind. When I first heard them at CanJam SoCal 2022 I thought they were one of the best IEMs I had heard and because of the pressure relief, one of the most comfortable. I really only ever need 2-4 favorite songs to know that a headphone or IEM is very good or bad, I have never had to back track on my initial impressions and these are no exception. Now I am certain that they are the best IEM I have heard! Magic. These along with my LCD-XC, 7hz Timeless, Qudeliz 5K and RME ADI-2 PRO FS R are now part of my small forever collection. So I added a small Seahorse case, a Linsoul Kinera Ace cable w/ detachable 2.5/3.5/4.4 adapters and a Fir Audio N13 module.
Well played, however you are making me feel like I am mistreating my A12t :smile_phones:

Which model Seahorse case did you get, and how did you go about getting the foam inserts to fit your gear so well?

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #21,044 of 23,575
Well played, however you are making me feel like I am mistreating my A12t :smile_phones:

Which model Seahorse case did you get, and how did you go about getting the foam inserts to fit your gear so well?
Any excuse I can use to buy another Seahorse case ❤️. Seriously though I am always concerned when traveling with my expensive gear that something will happen to it. These cases offer great peace of mind. I used the Evergreen (Parent company of Seahorse) 52 case. As a bonus these are affordable and made right here in California.

To get my gear to fit nicely I just take the internal measurements and make a matching sketch mock up on paper, then 'pick and pluck' the foam. 😃

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #21,045 of 23,575
Hey guys, looking for advice on how to repair what I think is a minor issue with my U12ts.

The face plate on one of the channels has become unsealed. Everything still works fine and it stays in place when I push in, but I’d like to seal it up. I just don’t want to do anything that might damage the internal components. And unfortunately I don’t have the steadiest hand either. I could put a couple drops of super / crazy glue, but that may be too extreme.

I always store in a case when not in use, so they haven’t been abused or anything.

Any advice on how to fix? I’ve also sent a note to 64 audio asking. There’s no functional issues, still works perfect. So as long as I seal up properly, it’s as good as new. I guess whatever glue they use came loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back