The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,072 of 23,601
Is that so? I heard they were different headphones, but I forgot exactly how so.

That tells me you haven’t been paying attention at all lol... U/universal A/custom

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,073 of 23,601
Is that so? I heard they were different headphones, but I forgot exactly how so.

Different iems? One is universal, another one is custom. The same driver config and tuning. Custom has a better isolation and earcanal seal which going to result in more bass impact.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,075 of 23,601
Thank you for the in depth explanation. Would you be able to provide such a breakdown of the fourte vs the a18t?

U18/A18 pretty is the same thing, just better isolation with customes... Would be redundant information

I believe @Omega139 was asking for a
breakdown of the fourte vs the a18t?
? Not between the U18 and A18?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,076 of 23,601
The reason why nobody is talking about U12t (besides impressions from RMAF and my comparison review) because nobody has A/U12t yet. People discuss and compare IEMs they have access to, spend time with, have some experience after extended listening. I noticed a number of people, including yourself, getting loaners of either U18 or Fourte - that's a bulk of the discussion now. I'm sure when U12t production ramps up, there will be more discussion about it, as well as Trio.
Thanks Twister6, appreciate your inputs!

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,077 of 23,601
Both, U18t and Fourte? I think the main decision will come down to your sensitivity to treble and desire for more bass :) From my Fourte review conclusion: "... I like the strong authoritative impact of U18 bass, but I also like the deeper analog texture of Fourte bass. I’m a fan of U18 smoother, resolving, natural upper mids and lower treble, but I also enjoyed Fourte with its more transparent, revealing, detailed mids/treble that wasn’t too fatiguing." You want more bass and smoother treble - U18t, leaner more revealing/analytical sound - Fourte.

I haven't listened to UE18+ Pro for awhile, need to refresh my "ears", so will look for it. UE18+ Pro was an upgrade to a neutrally tuned UERR, where it lifted the mid-bass and added more sparkle to treble, but it nowhere near the tuning quality of either U18t or Fourte.

But it all comes down to a personal preference. I'm obsessed now with Trio and its bass :)

This is making me think I want the Fourte. I listen to mainly Metal, rock, some jazz. I basically need something geared towards guitars, bass guitar, drums, and a vocal. I do like more clarity on top.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,078 of 23,601
This is making me think I want the Fourte. I listen to mainly Metal, rock, some jazz. I basically need something geared towards guitars, bass guitar, drums, and a vocal. I do like more clarity on top.

Yeah, for sure, Fourte will give you more guitar crunch.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,081 of 23,601
I just bought a pair of 64 U4's from a fellow head-fi'er and can't wait to try them out. It's an older pair and I'm very interested in the ADEL (APEX) technology. If I like them, I'm hoping to order the A4's or A6's. Will the sound signature of the A4's be the same as the U4's?

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,082 of 23,601
How would the fourte do with fast bass drums? Is the bass pretty tight? Also, do the mids have a nice growl?

I don't listen to Metal or Rock, sorry, mostly EDM and Pop stuff, thus, hard to analyze it from your perspective. Maybe others can chime in. For the music I listen to, I find attack of U18t mid-bass to be faster, but that's just in a relatiive comparison and might not be as useful for your type of music. You can read more about my in-depth comparison of U18t vs Fourte in Fourte review (on the second page in sound analysis section).

With cables, you can go from $300 to $1800, and I usually discuss cable pair ups in my reviews as well, but to be honest - start with 64 Audio stock Premium SPC cable (it's actually a decent cable) and spend some time with it. Cable is your last fine-tuning resort. You gotta figure out the original sound of IEMs, how it pairs up with your source, what you like or dislike about it. Then, see if you want to take it a step further with finetuning.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,083 of 23,601
I don't listen to Metal or Rock, sorry, mostly EDM and Pop stuff, thus, hard to analyze it from your perspective. Maybe others can chime in. For the music I listen to, I find attack of U18t mid-bass to be faster, but that's just in a relatiive comparison and might not be as useful for your type of music. You can read more about my in-depth comparison of U18t vs Fourte in Fourte review (on the second page in sound analysis section).

With cables, you can go from $300 to $1800, and I usually discuss cable pair ups in my reviews as well, but to be honest - start with 64 Audio stock Premium SPC cable (it's actually a decent cable) and spend some time with it. Cable is your last fine-tuning resort. You gotta figure out the original sound of IEMs, how it pairs up with your source, what you like or dislike about it. Then, see if you want to take it a step further with finetuning.

Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate you taking out the time to help me out.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,084 of 23,601
Is it best to terminate the cable to 2.5 (AK SP1000) or stick with 3.5 and use and adapter.

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,085 of 23,601
Is it best to terminate the cable to 2.5 (AK SP1000) or stick with 3.5 and use and adapter.

3.5mm and adapter to what? If we are talking about standard 3.5mm TRS single ended termination, you can't convert it to balanced. Only balanced 2.5mm or 4.4mm (or a rare 3.5mm TRRS) can be converted back to single ended, you can't go the other way. If you have single ended, you can't use an adapter to convert it to 2.5mm balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back