The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #20,596 of 23,565
Do you find that all the APEX modules relieve pressure equally well, or close enough? Or, do you detect a marked difference between the mx, m15, m20?
Pressure relief is the same on all apex modules, it’s the isolation and perception of bass that is different.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #20,597 of 23,565
Hello all,

U12t owner here.

i have been trying to figure out which choice is the best upgrade in regards of tips for my U12t that came with the CP145.

I have the AZLA SednaEarfit and the JVC Spiral Dots++ in mind but can't find the answer to some questions.

Do the AZLA SednaEarfit/Light (standard) have a bore of 4.5mm or 5.4mm?
There are conflicting reports about this.
Let's put it this way: How firm do these tips stay on the U12t? Do they ever move.. or even slip off the nozzle?

And i wonder: Is the sound different on these, the AZLA SednaEarfit compared to the JVC Spiral Dots++? They are really built similar, albeit the JVC are softer as i have read. I wonder if i should buy both or just one of them. And i know i will need a adapter to force the JVC to stay in place and not slide of the U12t.

Currently i am using the CP145 that was in the U12t box. Will the bass on the Sedna/JVC be less or more compared to the spinfit?

Thanks so far.
I have tried both of these with U12T and didn’t find either of them optimal. Tbe CP145s in the box work well for me as well as (predictably) Spinfit CP145 after market tips. Neither of those you mentioned worked well for me nor the Azla Sedna Earfit Light Shorts that some have touted. My fav is the Azla Sedna Xelastic, which is a bit sticky to start (so stays in place) and after a while molds to the internal shape of the concha and do a good job balancing the bass and detail retrieval/soundstage/treble extension. Bottom line I think is you just have to try tips out and see what works for you.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #20,598 of 23,565
For some reason unknown to me, the U18s doesn’t get a lot of love. It’s my favorite 64A IEM - I’ve owned the U12t, Trio, Fourte Noir, and Nio.
Pairing it with @PLUSSOUND X8 PPH certainly helps :)

Also, if you like deep/melodic EDM, give this new EP by Molo a try (out recently on Anjunadeep) - you won’t be disappointed.

C788F487-6D56-44A4-8EE4-5D1A91B83AEB.jpeg

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #20,599 of 23,565
For some reason unknown to me, the U18s doesn’t get a lot of love. It’s my favorite 64A IEM - I’ve owned the U12t, Trio, Fourte Noir, and Nio.
Pairing it with @PLUSSOUND X8 PPH certainly helps :)

Also, if you like deep/melodic EDM, give this new EP by Molo a try (out recently on Anjunadeep) - you won’t be disappointed.

C788F487-6D56-44A4-8EE4-5D1A91B83AEB.jpeg
For sure it does get some love
But I think the additional $ 1K might hold many back ...
IMG20220602211843-01.jpeg

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #20,602 of 23,565
The U12t can (given the right recording) make acoustic instruments and classical music sound as if it is being played in your room. Not so much with elerctronic music which i listen to. I wonder if the tia fourte can make any genre sound like it is being played in the room & lifelike.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #20,603 of 23,565
The U12t supposedly has more detail. And the U18t is supposed to have a "strange" tuning. That's why decided to get the U12t.
I think the 12t is one of the best values amongst high-end IEMs, particularly used/B-Stock/etc (~$1500-$1600).
I do think it is more detailed than the 18s, but in my humble opinion that greater detail makes the 12t overly ‘analytical,’ whereas I find the 18s musical, and I find myself more enveloped in the music. I find the stage wider and the treble smoother with the 18s, as well.
Again, I think the 12t is great…but there’s nothing about the 18s’ tuning I find strange.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #20,605 of 23,565
My daily heroine :beerchug:
3CCE878C-9F87-48CD-AF89-FF747EE7145C.jpeg

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #20,606 of 23,565
I have both the Fourte and U18T, and despite not yet finding a eartip that gives me the comfort and isolation that I am after, I am keeping the Fourte. If anyone is interested in the U18T, then feel free to PM me.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #20,607 of 23,565
The U12t can (given the right recording) make acoustic instruments and classical music sound as if it is being played in your room. Not so much with elerctronic music which i listen to. I wonder if the tia fourte can make any genre sound like it is being played in the room & lifelike.
I actually like the U12t with electronic music of all kinds...

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #20,608 of 23,565
I think you're asking too much of your IEMs--it all depends on the recording. When you say "as if it is being played in your room," you're talking about stereo mics recording the space of the room the artist was in. Exceptional monitors recreate that space. EDM is more complicated, as there is rarely any actual space. It's all artificial, and magnificent holography takes a lot of work--it depends on the artist's attention to enhancing the instruments to simulate a performance within a 3D space. The simpler solution to this is to let the room itself add that space, meaning that the music needs to be played out loud to pickup those type of details. Normal speakers excel at this, but that just cannot happen with IEMs (even an open-backed headphone can add quite a bit of space just on its own). For these "raw" type of tracks, your IEM will give you an intimate experience with hyper detail on each track, but the illusion of "as if it is being played in your room" is not in such a recording, therefore no IEM will be able to recreate it.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #20,609 of 23,565
I think you're asking too much of your IEMs--it all depends on the recording. When you say "as if it is being played in your room," you're talking about stereo mics recording the space of the room the artist was in. Exceptional monitors recreate that space. EDM is more complicated, as there is rarely any actual space. It's all artificial, and magnificent holography takes a lot of work--it depends on the artist's attention to enhancing the instruments to simulate a performance within a 3D space. The simpler solution to this is to let the room itself add that space, meaning that the music needs to be played out loud to pickup those type of details. Normal speakers excel at this, but that just cannot happen with IEMs (even an open-backed headphone can add quite a bit of space just on its own). For these "raw" type of tracks, your IEM will give you an intimate experience with hyper detail on each track, but the illusion of "as if it is being played in your room" is not in such a recording, therefore no IEM will be able to recreate it.
I don’t know if that’s entirely true, though. As far as I know, 99% of acoustic recordings are done close-mic’ed; instruments mic’ed up and recorded individually, then put together in a mix. Even live-performed albums like Snarky Puppy’s We Like It Here are recorded with each instrument individually close-mic’ed. It’s very rare for all the instruments to be played together in a room, picked-up by nothing more than a pair of room mics. The only example I can think of would be binaural recordings, and they’re the vast, vast minority.

Nowadays, a lot of electronic records are made with samples of “live” instruments as well. The Getgood Drums and Jammcard sound packs are examples of drum samples that were recorded in a high-end studio with high-end gear, as if they were making an acoustic record. Obviously, the processing needed to make those samples clean and the robotic nature of quantization (which electronic/hip-hop producers often use) will diminish that live feel. But, when it comes to the sounds themselves, they may not be as far off as you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back