The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 15, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #19,067 of 23,562
Are we talking about U4s as in U4-SE from 2017? I still find them to be great! :)
No, a universal loaner of the A4s. Dipping my toe in gently to see if I want to dive into customs.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #19,068 of 23,562
To save digging through 1300 posts, what are the go to cables for pairing with u12t (old logo)? Looking for a 1.2m 4.4 low tangle non microphonic that will make them shine, doesn't have to be fancy.
I’d take a look at the Dunu Blanche - the modular plug is handy if your like me and you’re transitioning to the 4.4 from the 2.5 plug. The cable is incredibly flexible with low microphonic‘s that I think elevates the U12T performance. Highs are prominent and the bass has a little more slam. It’s reasonably priced for what you get!

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #19,069 of 23,562
No modular required, all in on 4.4 these days! I'll shall go check it out.

@mvvRAZ , what's your go to for 12's? Copper, silver, hybrid?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #19,070 of 23,562
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #19,071 of 23,562
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #19,072 of 23,562
Would say ditto on that. The graphene SPC works particularly well with the U12t.
I have this one order as well as another 2 cables:

6625DC52-3100-44B5-A845-F286338B947E.jpeg

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #19,073 of 23,562
The customs look beautiful but my concern is there is no resale value given that the buyer has to essentially have them remade

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #19,076 of 23,562
The customs look beautiful but my concern is there is no resale value given that the buyer has to essentially have them remade
Gotta be sure you really want to keep them then!!

I feel like I am on a path to CIEM at some stage sooner rather than later, quite likely a 64audio one. I've accumulated a lot of low- mid-fi gear in a very short period of time which has been a great way to work out what my ultimate preferences are. So far I'm very happy with just about everything I've got, given relative price points. But I don't really see myself constantly buying new stuff/selling old and not-old stuff into the future, so CIEM seems like a great way to get off that treadmill.

Can't say I'm surprised by my experience with U6t, but I absolutely love how well balanced it is. Every source I've used, every genre I've listened to, it just does everything so effortlessly well- just put them in and get lost in the tunes. I'll probably go up the ladder to one or two other universals before I work out what I want out of a keeper CIEM, and 64a is high on the list especially considering I can work with a local reseller to get it done.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #19,077 of 23,562
U4s (A4s loaner/ trial) arrived this evening. Auditioning began almost immediately.
IMG_0330 crop.jpg

I tried to get @mvvRAZ to do my photography for me, but he was busy.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #19,078 of 23,562
U4s (A4s loaner/ trial) arrived this evening. Auditioning began almost immediately.
IMG_0330 crop.jpg

I tried to get @mvvRAZ to do my photography for me, but he was busy.
There’s a long line of Head-Fiers that take way better photos than me :D please tag me when you share impressions though, I am sending in my A18t for repair when I get back and thinking of also getting an A4S

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #19,079 of 23,562
Gotta be sure you really want to keep them then!!

I feel like I am on a path to CIEM at some stage sooner rather than later, quite likely a 64audio one. I've accumulated a lot of low- mid-fi gear in a very short period of time which has been a great way to work out what my ultimate preferences are. So far I'm very happy with just about everything I've got, given relative price points. But I don't really see myself constantly buying new stuff/selling old and not-old stuff into the future, so CIEM seems like a great way to get off that treadmill.

Can't say I'm surprised by my experience with U6t, but I absolutely love how well balanced it is. Every source I've used, every genre I've listened to, it just does everything so effortlessly well- just put them in and get lost in the tunes. I'll probably go up the ladder to one or two other universals before I work out what I want out of a keeper CIEM, and 64a is high on the list especially considering I can work with a local reseller to get it done.
Honestly I'd suggest you play around with very, very small positioning of you universal IEMs. I had made the big leap to a set of Layla universals, and they were AMAZING, but over time I began to realize if I held them JUST SO then everything was so much better. We're at the complete other end of "real" speakers with IEMs--there is no room for the sound to fill, it's just getting shoved right into your eardrum, and dealing with EXACTLY how the sound is angled down your ear canal was just to much subjectivity for me. Once I got used to the CIEMs (the depth of a proper CIEM was a hard adjustment period for me--nothing in your life has ever touched these places), it was a revelation. I no longer had in IEMs at all--it was like a neural shunt that went straight into my brain. It is almost disturbing at times--the fact that it is always EXACTLY what it is--you don't ever adjust anything--they just "are" exactly as they should be. Most often, it just strikes me that I'm in that perfect sweet-spot for a near field monitor with ZERO variability--I've been invited into the control room, and I'm sitting in that one perfect chair and my head is just right and I don't move a millimeter. I seriously don't know if I could ever give this experience up. And the extra--you've taken your actual ears out of it. I've got the A18S, and the fact that all 18 tiny speakers are perfectly aimed at my eardrum and I'm as close to hearing recording engineer perfection as possible without coloring is an addiction. I'll casually say, the tuning of the A18S is a unicorn--hours and hours and the fatigue just never comes.

If any of that resonates with you, CIEM is a zero regret path (well, as I noted, once you get used to them--horribly painful for me getting there, probably mostly because I put them in like an IDIOT, but I seem to be in the minority in having it so dramatic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back