The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #17,086 of 23,721
First rule of headfiers, never ever tell your wife about your audio gear.

Second rule of headfiers, never ever tell your wife about your audio gear.

😀😀
What's the third rule of headfiers? Tell everybody on HF about your audio gear! Lol

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #17,087 of 23,721
I would give the same impressions regardless of genre, I have a hard time making generalizations that are genre specific. I find even the same artist can sound different from album to album.

I don’t love Nio with the m15, too bloated and congested. Just my opinion.
Run the M20 on Nio... Live a little bit.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #17,088 of 23,721
Great to read your impressions @MRSallee. Do you feel the bass region of the Nio, specifically with the M15 module, is too overpowering for genres such as hard rock and metal? Do the guitars and vocals get buried or do they still cut through even with the elevated bass?
Yes the Nio will get congested with busy passages or heavy distortion and fast bass.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #17,092 of 23,721
Don't know how it handles the genres requested, but I use the FiR M0 module and it strikes a great balance between MX and M15.

Highly recommend checking it out, @Garney
Thanks for the suggestion. It does look like it strikes the perfect balance between the M15 and Mx.

I should stop second guessing the Nio and just order it already.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #17,093 of 23,721
Hey Scott, the Fourte sounds underwater? Looks like your source is not resolving or you have preference for high upper mid peaks/bright signatures. Anyway, I thought the video is nice and I enjoyed it. Cheers.
My thoughts exactly. But it seems Fourte will forever continue to polarize opinions. Could very well be because it's so source, cable, tip and recording sensitive. That's what happens when you can resolve music to sub atomic levels.
Yes that could be it too. But man it gets so super confusing now 😅
Don't stress. If you don't hear vocals as nasally or underwater, then they're not. If someone else hears it that way, it's their issue, not yours. 😉

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #17,094 of 23,721
I should stop second guessing the Nio and just order it already.
….Or Legend X if you can snag a used one at under the Nio price. Unless you want the interchangeable module feature.

To clarify, and @gLer can chime in here… the Nio is awesome sounding. I think the Legend X outperforms it tonality and technicality wise by a bit which is why I have settled on the LX over it. That being said you can’t go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #17,095 of 23,721
….Or Legend X if you can snag a used one at under the Nio price. Unless you want the interchangeable module feature.

To clarify, and @gLer can chime in here… the Nio is awesome sounding. I think the Legend X outperforms it tonality and technicality wise by a bit which is why I have settled on the LX over it. That being said you can’t go wrong with either one.
+1 for LX>Nio.

In general, the hybrid basshead IEMs in sub $2.2k range is loaded. I'd choose the following if:

-Nio: prefer lusher, warmer and darker signature without much treble extension. Some variability in bass control with the modules, but more of a fun, dirtier bass
-LX: king of subwoofer bass with incredible technicalities, especially soundstage width. excellent lower-midrange texture, lush mids, and laid-back but extended treble
-LXSE: strong bass response with a preference for a brighter signature focused around upper-mids and lower treble bite, while retaining top-tier bass response.
-Aure Elixir: W-shaped signature knocking on LX's door for overall technicalities, with better speed and control in bass region, although not as visceral as LX (nor is anything really lol). More focused on upper mids although mids and treble are pretty linear overall. Similar'ish to LXSE.
-Trio: U/V-shaped signature with excellent balance of mid and subbass, with a bit of bite up top. (I had the least experience here so I am sure others can clarify).
-Z1R: U-shaped with fast, addicting subbass decay. Don't mind a relatively laid back midbass response and slightly recessed lower midrange. One of the more fun trebles out there, although not necessarily the smoothest.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #17,096 of 23,721

Yes I concur. The LX eclipses Nio technically and is at least a match for it tonally (I prefer LX, though Nio's tonality is excellent too). The Nio is more versatile in that it can be switched to a more 'neutral' and technically capable tonality with the MX or Fir 0 modules, but no matter the module LX has it beat in terms of power, refinement, resolution, stage size and overall balance, for my preferences anyway.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #17,097 of 23,721
+1 for LX>Nio.

In general, the hybrid basshead IEMs in sub $2.2k range is loaded. I'd choose the following if:

-Nio: prefer lusher, warmer and darker signature without much treble extension. Some variability in bass control with the modules, but more of a fun, dirtier bass
-LX: king of subwoofer bass with incredible technicalities, especially soundstage width. excellent lower-midrange texture, lush mids, and laid-back but extended treble
-LXSE: strong bass response with a preference for a brighter signature focused around upper-mids and lower treble bite, while retaining top-tier bass response.
-Aure Elixir: W-shaped signature knocking on LX's door for overall technicalities, with better speed and control in bass region, although not as visceral as LX (nor is anything really lol). More focused on upper mids although mids and treble are pretty linear overall. Similar'ish to LXSE.
-Trio: U/V-shaped signature with excellent balance of mid and subbass, with a bit of bite up top. (I had the least experience here so I am sure others can clarify).
-Z1R: U-shaped with fast, addicting subbass decay. Don't mind a relatively laid back midbass response and slightly recessed lower midrange. One of the more fun trebles out there, although not necessarily the smoothest.
Yes I concur. The LX eclipses Nio technically and is at least a match for it tonally (I prefer LX, though Nio's tonality is excellent too). The Nio is more versatile in that it can be switched to a more 'neutral' and technically capable tonality with the MX or Fir 0 modules, but no matter the module LX has it beat in terms of power, refinement, resolution, stage size and overall balance, for my preferences anyway.
Dangit, stop! Now I'm cruising the sales board trying to spy a Legend X, contemplating selling my Nio lol. It's never ending!

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #17,098 of 23,721
I prefer Nio for two main reasons: 1. You need to turn up the volume on the LX to bring out the bass. More than I like. No such issues on the Nio. 2. I found the vocals too recessed on the LX compared to the Nio. Oh and 3. I'm not convinced the LX is actually better technically...

Anyway, no point arguing, the man is a fellow metalhead, so he's going to trust the opinion of a metalhead, no doubt about it... :beyersmile:

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #17,099 of 23,721
Dangit, stop! Now I'm cruising the sales board trying to spy a Legend X, contemplating selling my Nio lol. It's never ending!
You need to get off these forums is what you need to do! And I need to take my own advice.

I'm sticking with my nio for the foreseeable future. The fir O module is excellent with it.

I do however still want to get some ear time at some point with the lx though, but I'm pretty sure the uni won't play nice with my ears and since I have a custom Jolene on the way, I think my budget is spent.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #17,100 of 23,721
Just solved that issue...:beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back