The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #17,041 of 23,668
PW cables and expensive cables are way overrated. Have tried both their 1960 and 1950 on Fourte, and can’t say I love them for the asking price. They are good in some ways but not universally better than the cheaper 64a cables on the Fourte. Especially the 1950, i don’t really enjoyed it on the Fourte for my preference (too forward sound presentation, narrower/congested soundstage).
That's a little bit of a bummer to hear only because I have the 1950. Overpriced cables are of course "not worth it" to reasonable people. And they are also clearly the least "worth it" aspect of anyone's audio hobby.

So you recommend the stock cable above all? I have a couple others and will try them all when I get the Fourte, but I'm just curious about your/others' opinions.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #17,042 of 23,668
PW cables and expensive cables are way overrated. Have tried both their 1960 and 1950 on Fourte, and can’t say I love them for the asking price. They are good in some ways but not universally better than the cheaper 64a cables on the Fourte. Especially the 1950, i don’t really enjoyed it on the Fourte for my preference (too forward sound presentation, narrower/congested soundstage).
FWIW the 1950s is not said to have good synergy with the Fourte (it pairs better with fuller IEMs like LX). The 1960s 2w is supposedly the best of that series for the Fourte. I'll have one soon and will give full feedback. Personally, if a $1000 cable can take your $3500 IEM to its sonic limit and improve it in ways that fit your preference, that's a very solid investment over, say, a $4500 IEM that still needs tweaking. Cables are, after all, a tweak, but at this level, the smallest tweak is both very expensive and very valuable.
I’ve never been a huge fan of PW Audio big money cables. Stormbreaker is the only one I have ever preferred over others in a pairing (Odin). EE did the leg work to figure that out anyways.

Aren’t PW cables cardas coax wire?
Yes indeed. 1950s uses the more expensive Cardas Clear cable, and 1960s Cardas Clear Light. The only IEM cables in the world, afaik, that are made from Cardas. These are very expensive cables to procure in raw form and quite difficult to work into IEM cables, which is why even masters like @doctorjuggles tend to make very few of them. Peter Wong makes every 1960s and 1950s cable personally, to order.

To me they're like rare wines. Exorbitant pricing, but at the same time rare, unique and highly valued by those that have and use them. And, just like wine, not to everyone's taste. You can add them to the love/hate column. I still don't quite get why collectors with tens of thousands of dollars in audio gear scoff at the idea of cables that cost a small percentage of it all, but cables (and cable pricing) do tend to be the most polarising part of the chain.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #17,043 of 23,668
That's a little bit of a bummer to hear only because I have the 1950. Overpriced cables are of course "not worth it" to reasonable people. And they are also clearly the least "worth it" aspect of anyone's audio hobby.

So you recommend the stock cable above all? I have a couple others and will try them all when I get the Fourte, but I'm just curious about your/others' opinions.
As mentioned above, 1950s is generally not recommended for Fourte (too much of a good thing). 1960s would be a better pairing, with the 2w version adding a touch more warmth and fullness at the expense of extra extension compared to the 4w version. (From reviews, not personal testing).

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #17,045 of 23,668
Also have some much thicker 24awg ish copper and silver plated copper litz coming that was earmarked for fullsize builds. But ya never know.

Anyone recommend some good quality 2pin connectors? And maybe splitter set with the little piece that slides up?

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #17,046 of 23,668
Also have some much thicker 24awg ish copper and silver plated copper litz coming that was earmarked for fullsize builds. But ya never know.

Anyone recommend some good quality 2pin connectors? And maybe splitter set with the little piece that slides up?
There are a wide variety available, most of the decision is down to personal taste and aesthetics. If you want a trusted name you can always go for something like Eidolic that have matching 2-pin connectors, plugs, and splitters.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #17,047 of 23,668

First thing I would say is to rely on your ears. You may try your 50s with the Fourte and love it. There is no absolute rule when it comes to synergy and preference.

Secondly, overpriced is a subjective concept. Maybe proportionality is a better word. I would consider putting a $1k cable on a $3k IEM. But would not put same cable on a $700 IEM, for example.

Finally, I would say, experiment. Especially the likes of the Fourte (and its sibling the Noir) - both are known to be particularly sensitive to cable changes.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #17,048 of 23,668
There are a wide variety available, most of the decision is down to personal taste and aesthetics. If you want a trusted name you can always go for something like Eidolic that have matching 2-pin connectors, plugs, and splitters.
Yeah. I don't mind Eidolic. Nice finish on outside. Inside generally similar to most branded stuff like Rean etc. Will look into it!

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #17,049 of 23,668
After all this cable talk, I'm going to just make my own!

Have some high quality 26 awg occ copper litz coming. Bit of cardas solder, few quality connectors and a bit of a braid and we're done.
Let's talk. I'm just around the corner anyway. :)

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #17,050 of 23,668
Latest creation, recycled some older Eidolic connectors for someone's Grado mod. Not as flashy as the cable I made for my Empyrean, but turned out ok.

Attachments

• 20210424_174959.jpg
    20210424_174959.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #17,051 of 23,668
Latest creation, recycled some older Eidolic connectors for someone's Grado mod. Not as flashy as the cable I made for my Empyrean, but turned out ok.
Nice work! Will be curious to see if you can get hold of Cardas/Cardas Clear and work it into IEM cables a-la PWA.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #17,052 of 23,668
Nice work! Will be curious to see if you can get hold of Cardas/Cardas Clear and work it into IEM cables a-la PWA.
I can get the Cardas 4x24 easily enough.

As for the clear, I've reterminated a few for people. Not a fan of it for a full-size, janky, expensive and still uses cheap connectors despite pricetag. Maybe pulled apart and resleeved it feels better? Or left in the jacket. I did have a 4m version I sold off.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #17,053 of 23,668
I can get the Cardas 4x24 easily enough.

As for the clear, I've reterminated a few for people. Not a fan of it for a full-size, janky, expensive and still uses cheap connectors despite pricetag. Maybe pulled apart and resleeved it feels better? Or left in the jacket. I did have a 4m version I sold off.
Yep, has to be Clear (1950s) or Clear Light (1960s) and from what I've heard it needs to be stripped, sleeved and reworked and is therefore a PITA to get right (which partly explains the cost and rarity). But it seems the hard work pays off when done right.

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #17,054 of 23,668
Reworked?

I'll make one and see. Might need to send to someone with a 1950s, see if it compares.

I'll go find a Clear cable. Seems to run 8x26.5, and the 1950 uses 4 of those?

Edit: Looked up the 1950s. Pretty sure that grey jacket is the stock one under the black/white sleeve of the Cardas Clear. I've reterminated 3 or 4 now, and it looks like that.

So should be a easy thing to do. I'll make one and report back, might not have the flashy hardware the PW stuff has, but looks heavy anyway. I like very light Y splitters!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #17,055 of 23,668

I only had the 1950 on loan for a week. I believe it has been fully burned in. I have the 1960 2wire, which I prefer over the 1950 with the Fourte. The Fourte sounded like it’s on steroid with the 1950 and the resulting sound was just too heavy for my taste. The 1960 sound is not as heavy like the 1950 but it still has a more forward presentation than the more spacious sound of the 64a cables (the 8wire premium cable and the silver premium cable). Just my 2cents, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back