The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #16,636 of 23,560
I criticised that 1kHz dip on my Noir review. That region, most especially when followed by a rise towards 2kHz, is crucial for an instrument's structure; its density, solidity and tactility. A snare drum without presence at 1-2kHz tends to come off light and clang-y; missing thud. And, vocals will sound like they're coming solely from the singer's mouth without much support coming from the diaphragm or chest. But, as I've expressed on another thread in the past, the midrange is also the region where colour tends to be more permitted. Based on conversations I've seen and had on- and offline, I've found that you can push and pull on it quite a bit before it becomes palpably unnatural or odd-sounding. Combined with the fact that 64's 1kHz dips tend to be tastefully-done anyway, and you have yourself a colouration that becomes very easily accepted.
Yes that makes sense. I have noticed a lot of people including myself enjoy the cleanliness and presentation of vocals on those IEM’s. Like you explained, the dip removes some of the diaphragm push from vocals but also doesn’t kill the tonality too much.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #16,637 of 23,560
Yes that makes sense. I have noticed a lot of people including myself enjoy the cleanliness and presentation of vocals on those IEM’s. Like you explained, the dip removes some of the diaphragm push from vocals but also doesn’t kill the tonality too much.
Well, for my taste it does give ethereal voice and therefore a lack of emotions, especially on the Noir.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #16,639 of 23,560
@Precogvision thanks for the great preview of U18s. Clear and detailed as usual! :sunglasses:

@Precogvision and @Deezel177 , that’s extremely valuable information that you guys are sharing! Thanks a lot for that! I do enjoy quality sound and I believe I can tell when something sounds good or off (to my ears at least...) but I have very poor knowledge of the technical aspect & science behind it. So understanding which bandwidth affects what and how it translates in real use case is very helpful! :thumbsup:
I do have a question regarding the graph shared by @Precogvision . I’m not sure to understand what the different colors mean on each instruments bars? Like, the red, yellow and sometimes black areas? Could anyone help clarify this?
Thanks 🙏

edit : I’m talking about this graphic:
CF77B4B2-9CB6-4E48-AE6C-775E97A4C34E.png

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #16,640 of 23,560
What if ethereal makes you emotional? It doesn't work for everything but does for some.
I concur. I find that sense of holographic sound where the voice is clearly distinct is what I enjoy in the 64 Audio IEMs - especially the Noir, the OG (though it’s tuning isn’t to my taste) and to a lesser extent the U12t (which is a little fuller).

To my ears the way it’s done doesn’t detract from “wetness”, body or musicality. As always though, we each hear things differently and it can also be influenced by tips and other parts of the chain.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #16,641 of 23,560
Yup! Here you are:

12tv18s.jpg

These are both with the M15 module and matched at 1kHz. Anecdotally, I would agree that the U18S's pinna compensation leans even more relaxed than the U12T's. You can also see the U12T has more lower-treble energy which is part of why I said the U18S comes off as darker in comparison. I'll have to sine-sweep them to confirm more differences in treble, though, as the resonance peak area is finicky.

I'm mostly associating mid-treble with instrument crash. Unfortunately, I don't know the names of all the instruments I hear, and I'm sure someone else can do a better job of explaining it than me! Someone like @Deezel177 comes to mind, his explanations are top-tier.

Anyways, the problem with this stuff - and so much in audio - is just how darn subjective it is. Everyone has their own interpretation of what falls under each frequency range. For example, I recently learned that audio engineers consider the upper-midrange to fall under 2kHz, whereas I'd say it goes up to around 4kHz. The latter is more colloquially accepted, but the reality is that much of the female vocal fundamentals are under 2kHz. When you listen to a sine-sweep at 3-4kHz, you don't think midrange; it's much higher-pitched than that. So really, it's just female vocal upper-harmonics that extend into 4kHz and beyond. You can use this excellent chart for a quick reference, but again, there's lots of overlap and it's pending your own interpretation.

fr-chart.png

Sorry if this has been discussed before but is the dip seen in 10-12kHz range a consequence of measurement setup? Or is it 64’s tuning?

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #16,642 of 23,560
@Precogvision thanks for this - really appreciate it.
Any chance you're willing/able to share a comparison chart of the U12t/U18s with the m20 module?
m20modulecompare.jpg

And then here's the U18s with all the various Apex modules:

u18s.jpg

Sorry if this has been discussed before but is the dip seen in 10-12kHz range a consequence of measurement setup? Or is it 64’s tuning?

No worries! Measurements after 10kHz shouldn't be considered entirely accurate. But yes, I will say that this dip exists in actual listening and if you run sine sweeps. Same goes for the peaks for air at 15-17kHz.

@Precogvision thanks for the great preview of U18s. Clear and detailed as usual! :sunglasses:

@Precogvision and @Deezel177 , that’s extremely valuable information that you guys are sharing! Thanks a lot for that! I do enjoy quality sound and I believe I can tell when something sounds good or off (to my ears at least...) but I have very poor knowledge of the technical aspect & science behind it. So understanding which bandwidth affects what and how it translates in real use case is very helpful! :thumbsup:
I do have a question regarding the graph shared by @Precogvision . I’m not sure to understand what the different colors mean on each instruments bars? Like, the red, yellow and sometimes black areas? Could anyone help clarify this?
Thanks 🙏

I believe that red is the fundamental frequencies, yellow is the harmonics, and black is the low fundamentals and air. Can't offer any more in-depth explanation than that though.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #16,643 of 23,560
m20modulecompare.jpg

And then here's the U18s with all the various Apex modules:

u18s.jpg

No worries! Measurements after 10kHz shouldn't be considered entirely accurate. But yes, I will say that this dip exists in actual listening and if you run sine sweeps. Same goes for the peaks for air at 15-17kHz.

I believe that red is the fundamental frequencies, yellow is the harmonics, and black is the low fundamentals and air. Can't offer any more in-depth explanation than that though.
Kinda crazy but I feel like the U12T has a more agreeable measurement. If that fully translates to the sound signature I’m not sure I’d be too crazy about the U18s.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #16,644 of 23,560
Kinda crazy but I feel like the U12T has a more agreeable measurement. If that fully translates to the sound signature I’m not sure I’d be too crazy about the U18s.
Maybe. It’s of course very personal.
Have you listened to either?
For my taste, I found the 12t to have the better sub-bass, but otherwise (tonality and technically) I preferred the 18s (which in full transparency was the custom demo). 18s had, in my opinion, better mid-bass (and better bass quality overall), smoother treble, and much wider staging. Also felt a bit less “analytical” to my ears versus the 12t. More musical, more engaging. Just my two cents.
12t undeniably has better sub-bass...no doubt about that.
I should have a proper u18s in my hands soon and will give my impressions once I do.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #16,645 of 23,560
Maybe. It’s of course very personal.
Have you listened to either?
For my taste, I found the 12t to have the better sub-bass, but otherwise (tonality and technically) I preferred the 18s (which in full transparency was the custom demo). 18s had, in my opinion, better mid-bass (and better bass quality overall), smoother treble, and much wider staging. Also felt a bit less “analytical” to my ears versus the 12t. More musical, more engaging. Just my two cents.
12t undeniably has better sub-bass...no doubt about that.
I should have a proper u18s in my hands soon and will give my impressions once I do.
I’ve heard everything but the upcoming U18s.

I look forward to reading your impressions!

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #16,646 of 23,560
Has anyone here tried palladium plated silver cables on their 64 Audio IEMs? Specifically the likes of the Fourte OG / Noir, U12t, or Trio. And if so what were your impressions?

There aren't too many around - to my knowledge it's the EA Leo II, the Satin Audio Athena, and it's also used together with other materials in some higher end models like the PlusSound X6 and EA Code 51.

Mar 29, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #16,647 of 23,560
Has anyone here tried palladium plated silver cables on their 64 Audio IEMs? Specifically the likes of the Fourte OG / Noir, U12t, or Trio. And if so what were your impressions?

There aren't too many around - to my knowledge it's the EA Leo II, the Satin Audio Athena, and it's also used together with other materials in some higher end models like the PlusSound X6 and EA Code 51.
I ran the Code 51 with the Trio for a while. I didn’t really notice any added depth or clarity. As you’re aware, the Tia drivers are pretty damn sparkly and crisp. I didn’t perceive any added brightness or bump in the upper mids either. Sounded pretty similar to the 64 Audio premium silver cable and my custom SPC cable.

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #16,648 of 23,560

I have tried a18s with Athena. I would not recommend. The imaging just get destroyed IMO. I would only recommend copper or spc for 64audio for the natural sound.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #16,650 of 23,560
I did a little review of the U12T:

Great review, I really enjoyed these with the Fir O module most - brings it closest to reference for me as possible.

Ultimately I did keep the MEST over em just because it wins out on some intangible factors; but the U12T is better tuned.

Wish I could get them again despite finding they lacked bass note fundamentals and highest register treble clarity, but they really are a great set.

64 just needs to make the same tuning, with a tiny bit more upper mids energy (less smoothed), DD bass, and cleaner 10kHz+ treble, and they'll have created the greatest iem of all time.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back