The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 16, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #15,016 of 23,720
Well, through some unplanned events I’ve ended up with another pair of Nio’s in my collection :)

853849B1-5218-43D8-92D3-9827EC5D09DB.jpeg

I did miss those beautiful abalone faceplates. Gotta say they do sound much better with the iBasso DX220 Max which I didn’t have when I had my first set of Nio’s.

Oooh and now you also have the ibasso. How do you like it? How is it vs 1z 😃

Nio vs noir ? ,🤔. For me noir was still a winner. Nio + m20 had such a close resemblance to noirs bass!

Is that plato pure silver? From eletech?

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #15,017 of 23,720

Nio vs noir ? ,🤔. For me noir was still a winner. Nio + m20 had such a close resemblance to noirs bass!

Iliad :)

I have my Noir arriving early next week so I'll be able to update you on most Eletech pair ups then

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #15,018 of 23,720
Awesome, try them out with MX too. And some words on comparisons between Nio, Trio and your other flagships will be welcome :)
Yeah shortly after I took that photo I switched over to mX and I’m very happy with the sound compared to m15.

m15 is just too much bass for me and I don’t like how boomy and uncontrolled it sounds. The lower mids have more breathing space now. Definitely keeping the mX on :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #15,019 of 23,720

For the Nio (and warmer IEM’s in general) I prefer the dx220 Max. But the WM1Z is great for colder/analytical sounding stuff :)

I prefer the Noir but they are so different, it’s hard to really say which one is better or worse. Probably from a technical standpoint, the Noir is the better IEM overall, but the Nio has such a pleasing tone so I can understand why many would probably like it more than Noirs energetic sound.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #15,020 of 23,720
Iliad :)

I have my Noir arriving early next week so I'll be able to update you on most Eletech pair ups then

OOO I AM WAITING, it will be an interesting thing to hear your opinion as you heard a lot of iems so far!

For the Nio (and warmer IEM’s in general) I prefer the dx220 Max. But the WM1Z is great for colder/analytical sounding stuff :)

I prefer the Noir but they are so different, it’s hard to really say which one is better or worse. Probably from a technical standpoint, the Noir is the better IEM overall, but the Nio has such a pleasing tone so I can understand why many would probably like it more than Noirs energetic sound.

Interesting thing as I heard both side by side and tested a few cables and modules.

In conclusion came to that I preferred the way the noirs sounds and their higher abilities to render a more refined and precised sound reproduction.

Nio was even bassier to me then noirs! Treble was a little jittery, noir always felt smoother.

Nio has the ability of the modules. I wanted something between m15 and m20 as it felt very strong in m20.

I think nio would be the safest iem to buy at 64a if you want an all arounder I guess. Even trio is not as even and balanced like the nio is. Trio is more exquisite/exclusive kind of sound tuning.

Though as everyone know I have my noirs and my new symbiote and I finally feel complete and satisfied with very long and expensive audio journey!
I now have a dap dilema LoL I heard my friends 1z again and goshhhh I shouldn't have done that! I feel I am in love with wm1z again lmao

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #15,021 of 23,720
OOO I AM WAITING, it will be an interesting thing to hear your opinion as you heard a lot of iems so far!

Interesting thing as I heard both side by side and tested a few cables and modules.

In conclusion came to that I preferred the way the noirs sounds and their higher abilities to render a more refined and precised sound reproduction.

Nio was even bassier to me then noirs! Treble was a little jittery, noir always felt smoother.

Nio has the ability of the modules. I wanted something between m15 and m20 as it felt very strong in m20.

I think nio would be the safest iem to buy at 64a if you want an all arounder I guess. Even trio is not as even and balanced like the nio is. Trio is more exquisite/exclusive kind of sound tuning.

Though as everyone know I have my noirs and my new symbiote and I finally feel complete and satisfied with very long and expensive audio journey!
I now have a dap dilema LoL I heard my friends 1z again and goshhhh I shouldn't have done that! I feel I am in love with wm1z again lmao
I used to own the Noir actually, this is the second time I'm getting it :D guess I couldn't forget that texture

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #15,022 of 23,720
The HiBy R8 + Nio MX is one of the best portable combinations I've heard to date. I even prefer it to Trio for many genres, even though Trio is more detailed and energetic. The depth and space the R8 renders with the Nio MX is exceptional. Was the final nail in the coffin of my beloved HD800 in fact...

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #15,023 of 23,720
Well, through some unplanned events I’ve ended up with another pair of Nio’s in my collection :)

853849B1-5218-43D8-92D3-9827EC5D09DB.jpeg

I did miss those beautiful abalone faceplates. Gotta say they do sound much better with the iBasso DX220 Max which I didn’t have when I had my first set of Nio’s.
Hi, would you be able to share a bit about what sound changes you hear on the Nio when using the Iliad cable? :)
Those two items are both on my 'to buy' list :D

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #15,024 of 23,720
Actually, I just tried U12t (all BA) and Nio (DD/BA hybrid) with LPGT and professional cable and dots facing forward and then back, and the only difference I hear is in soundstage width. So, when polarity is reversed, soundstage shrinks just a bit.

Now I have done more testing with polarity's effect to IEM, using U12, and LG V40 phone, and Neutron player app.
Neutron has phase inverse button, so I can switch polarity quickly. Yes I can hear the difference, polarity also affects IEMs.
The difference is subtle, if different IEM models's sound difference is at the scale of 20%, and switching different tips and cables affect sound to the scale of 5%, then the 'polarity's makes the difference is ~0.1/100.
It is very hard to hear the difference, need to pay full attention, and do very quick A/B switch.

Making it the correct polarity do have a positive effect to the listening experience: everything is more lively, more energetic. it is more obvious when listening to female vocal: the wrong polarity will make the singer sounds like inhaling air, instead of exhaling, so it sounds weird and lifeless. The difference is very subtle.

Correct polarity also produce perceivable more mid bass, while wong polarity is hollower in mid bass. For lower quality headphone with muddy bass people may prefer the sound of wrong polarity , because it will make sound cleaner for lower quality phones. while high quality headphone will enjoy the correct polarity: more energetic and full sounding mid bass

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #15,025 of 23,720
Now I have done more testing with polarity's effect to IEM, using U12, and LG V40 phone, and Neutron player app.
Neutron has phase inverse button, so I can switch polarity quickly. Yes I can hear the difference, polarity also affects IEMs.
The difference is subtle, if different IEM models's sound difference is at the scale of 20%, and switching different tips and cables affect sound to the scale of 5%, then the 'polarity's makes the difference is ~0.1/100.
It is very hard to hear the difference, need to pay full attention, and do very quick A/B switch.
Making it the correct polarity do have a positive effect to the listening experience: everything is more lively, more energetic. it is more obvious when listening to female vocal: the wrong polarity will make the singer sounds like inhaling air, instead of exhaling, so it sounds weird and lifeless. The difference is very subtle.
I had my SD5 cable with polarity inverted and the sound was completely different from a similar cable with the right polarity.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #15,026 of 23,720
Received my Trio on Monday. Just noticed this small dent on the left IEM, it’s only visible under the correct lighting. Will 64audio let me exchange this for a new set? 😢

Attachments

• 28F9A1C0-0E72-4E9C-8F9B-2E9DDF6CF5C0.jpeg
    28F9A1C0-0E72-4E9C-8F9B-2E9DDF6CF5C0.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #15,029 of 23,720
Received my Trio on Monday. Just noticed this small dent on the left IEM, it’s only visible under the correct lighting. Will 64audio let me exchange this for a new set? 😢
Sorry to hear, I'm sure they'll fix it no problem. More importantly...impressions!

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #15,030 of 23,720
Sorry to hear, I'm sure they'll fix it no problem. More importantly...impressions!

I’ll write something small in a few days but I absolutely love these. So in line with my tuning preferences and they play so well with EDM. Definitely my favorite 64audio IEM I’ve heard to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back