The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #106 of 754
  stratocaster
Could you please give us some directions as to how to make the leather pads.
I think I saw it saw it somewhere on the site but am unable to find it.

Thanks

I am sorry, but the tutorial is lost. I do not have any pics of the process any more and the server database in which I stored offline versions got deleted too. If I have time, I will take a couple of photos to give you an idea of how it is done.
You can also try to get hold of (p)leather pads from cheap headsets that have the right (Grado cup) diameter and try those. Works too.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #107 of 754

Yes, I heard the same thing and searched frantically.  Outside of the site here, I searched pretty thoroughly to see if a cached copy existed somewhere, too.  I had a link to the page actually saved as I'd revisit it every now and then.  

I'm not sure if the site archives off posts that get to a certain point without being touched.  I can't get enough of the D.I.Y. threads on the forum here ... as well as many of the other threads discussing lots of great products for our music enjoyment.

Have you looked for it on archive.org?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #108 of 754
  Have you looked for it on archive.org?

Unfortunately, I didn't try the site you've listed to see.  I will do some more digging to hopefully see it cached somewhere.

As a follow up to some of the impressions provided by Joe Doe, I can see where it is quite clear that the SennGrads do not really need amplification and if utilized, one could really not tell any difference when the headphones are connected to one -- unless the amplifier does color the sound a bit, or if the DAC used in conjunction with the amp would add some improvement in sound.  Aside from those two components and potentially changing the sound signature, that would be the only reason where I'd indicate one could use an amp and a DAC.  Also, to utilize such components might mean adding additional components (and money) into the chain when one really doesn't need to invest the additional $150 on the low end to $1,000+ or more on the high end.  

A few mornings back, I went between the output of my Harman Kardon AVR-310 receiver with the headphone output and connected to my oDAC, as well as the iPod Classic model 7 music player that I have.  The iPod was just running "neutral" and I didn't have any form of EQ or tone adjustment applied.  With the iPod, I didn't have the volume up very high at all, yet the sound was being produced at a nice, comfortable listening level without any strain.  There was also quite a bit more distance in the volume control before one would get the iPod player to the level of distortion.  I did not push the iPod to that level at all, because doing so would not make any sense at all.  The sound difference between the iPod and the H/K / oDAC configuration was slightly different.  The iPod had a bit more weight to it, but that doesn't mean that the H/K / oDAC option was "light" in any way.  It just was a good experience that spoke volumes about the capability of using the SennGrads with the efficiency in the high-90s decibel range.

Also, though, between switching between the sources, I would quite possibly give a slight nod to the H/K oDAC option (more on that a bit later) as I could sense a bit of a better width in the soundstage based on the music tracks that I tried.  Granted, not a significant amount, but still one that could be determined and heard.  The iPod Classic 7, though, certainly did not disappoint when one considers that it is a $120 - $150 (used market) player with a sizable hard drive for lots of music and a good battery life.  Pair that with the SennGrads having the foldable headband (for very portable storage) and the very lightweight that is offered, it makes for a very portable as well as comfortable (from a weight aspect) pair of headphones.

Where I heard the best details, happened to be with the various jazz tracks that I'd use for listening.  The instrument sound was very realistic and the distinction between the instruments could easily be heard.  There are quite a few headphones out there that are a bit weak when it comes to instrument distinction.  I know for me, I'd rather have the option for hearing great separation - from a stereo sense, as well as the separation of the instruments, too, which is what really engages me when it comes to the music.  What I could really appreciate was the percussion used in the jazz tracks.  The separation was quite vivid and often I'd hear a part of the track appear through one of the sides, but a few inches behind my ears, to further demonstrate the depth of the soundstage.

I really hate to come across as loving these too much.  It seems like I'm trying a bit hard to promote these.  In a sense I am, but that is just because I'm enjoying what I hear and I've had more than a few dozen headphones through my listening section to be able to equate to what my ears prefer and what they just think is OK, but not excellent.  Finally, a note on the SennGrads.  I've realized that I can be quite critical of the sound of a headphone because when I drop some coin on a pair of headphones, I really want to ensure they are something that I could really enjoy - and during a relatively long period of ownership (yeah, like that will happen), but that I really do mean.  

Now, a note about upgrading.  Very frequently, one will own a pair of headphones (let's just say hypothetically $150 headphones).  After a period of time, the owner might get to really enjoy the headphones, but then they do take some time to read reviews on sound impressions for another pair of headphones (again, $300 headphones in this hypothetical example) and then the person gets a plan together to work out a process to achieve that next pair of headphones.  Does this always mean that the person during the upgrade will achieve a 100% upgrade in sound because they've doubled their investment?  Not really.  I've been in that position many times and have felt that where I've anticipated an upgrade, it turned out to be a lateral move in the sound department, yet I just went through the exercise of spending money to realize what just happened.  

I also have another paragraph on cheap amplification.  As noted in earlier posts, I've been noting the differences between some of my headphone amps as well as some full-sized receivers and amps that I've been trying out due to the low cost when you find a gem on Craigslist.  The latest addition happens to be the Harman Kardon AVR-310 receiver.  A bit aged at this point when one considers that H/K has gone trough a few design phases and about 6 or 7 model revisions since the AVR-310 was released.  However, the good thing about newer receivers as opposed to vintage receivers is that one hopes they'll have a bit of better life because they have a receiver with newer components (caps, etc.) that, in theory, should provide a longer life.  Plus, these receivers are very abundant in the used market because people who are into home theater gear tend to switch out their gear based on revisions to processing formats, video switching capabilities, etc.  This means that this "surplus" of receivers allows for them to be listed at relatively cheap prices (less than $100 usually).  When new, these receivers would have sold on the $500 to $700 range.  The AVR-310 is a real gem.  I mean a real gem.  As one who has owned many home theater receivers, but never used any of the previous ones with headphones, I can confirm that  the H/K does have a beautiful sound to it and this can be often noted in the reviews of such receivers.  In the situation with the H/K, it doesn't appear that they hurt the headphone output with respect to sound quality just so that they could advertise that the receiver had that option.  I really is a joy to listen to with the headphone output section.  It is not harsh on the upper end and the mid and lower ends offer a lot of clarity and quality.  When I use my Beyerdynamic DT-880 (250 Ohm version) with the H/K, the upper frequencies just sound wonderful.  They have detail, but they are not overwhelming, nor overbearing either.  Nothing but beautiful sound on a shoestring budget.

Enjoy!

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #111 of 754

SennGrado round 2. This time with a cable I made myself and instead of using electrical tape to fit the drivers in the cups, I set them a touch further in without any kind of adhesive or tape. 

Will be sending these to a head-fier as a sort of restitution for a faulty woody I sent him earlier in the week.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #112 of 754
I've got all of the components on hand for a pair of SennGrados.  I just finished liberating the drivers, but wje's comment about the clear plastic being loose piqued my curiosity.  With a little bit of wiggling, I was able to pop the clear plastic clean away from the black grill/housing.  There is quite a lot of plastic in front of the driver.  Has anyone experimented with removing any of this material (a la porta pro kramer mod)?

I'm temped to experiment with alternate housings all together, since the black plastic grill does not provide much contact area with the cups.  I would definitely rather use something that was as deep as the rest of the driver for mounting.  I'm going to hit the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find some sort of rubber washer that's the right size.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #113 of 754
I've got all of the components on hand for a pair of SennGrados.  I just finished liberating the drivers, but wje's comment about the clear plastic being loose piqued my curiosity.  With a little bit of wiggling, I was able to pop the clear plastic clean away from the black grill/housing.  There is quite a lot of plastic in front of the driver.  Has anyone experimented with removing any of this material (a la porta pro kramer mod)?

I'm temped to experiment with alternate housings all together, since the black plastic grill does not provide much contact area with the cups.  I would definitely rather use something that was as deep as the rest of the driver for mounting.  I'm going to hit the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find some sort of rubber washer that's the right size.

Impatiently waiting for your findings :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #114 of 754

After reading some of Stratocasters comments I wanted to get an idea of what a closed cup design with the PX100 drivers would sound like. I found these felt thingy’s at the dollar store which I thought would make a good sound dampening material. I was going to put it inside the cup but instead cut two pieces a little larger than the opening so I could get a tight fit without the need for adhesives. 

And yes these sound very good. I listened to them all last night and was very impressed.

Joedoe----close them up and tell us what you think.

Fleasebaby…….try a pair of PX100 drivers in those beautiful closed maple cups you have.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #115 of 754
I made up a pair of SennGrados after reading this forum a bit.  I think I'm really close to having something that sounds great, but the treble is a bit intense.  I'm using PX100II drivers and they are mounted in Turbulent Labs mahogany cups.  I was intending to make up some wood cup SR80s, but butchered the drivers during disassembly.  Such is the cost of knowledge, sometimes.  Right now, the Senn drivers are mounted at the inner edge of the mahogany cups and I'm using G Cushions from EarZonk.  Would I get better results if the drivers were moved further in?  There is no covering over the drivers except the black plastic shell that the driver is mounted in from Sennheiser.  Maybe some foam or felt between ear and driver might help?  

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #116 of 754
Has anyone tried the Kobitone 600 ohm drivers here:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobitone/25CE500-RO/?qs=pO9a3qNHhpHhpCGAHh60Sw%3D%3D

I have an old HD580, that have been sitting tucked away in a drawer for a long time with a blown right side driver.

thanks

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #117 of 754
Just in case anyone is interested, I messed with taming the treble on the SennGrado a little this morning. I tried out different materials in front of the driver.

Dryer sheet: does absolutely nothing

Thin cloth a la old undershirt: definitely cooled the treble a bit but also the mids

Thin felt: too much! basically began to block sound

Hopefully later in the day I'll be using a few materials behind the driver to see what happens.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #120 of 754
I didn't find any standard hardware store parts that fit my criteria. I may revisit this later, but I decided to put it all together for now. They sound great,but I only had about 15 minutes before having to run out the door for a business trip. I'll post some detailed impressions when I get back next week.

O24ziq3.jpg

The specs are: cocobolo mushroom cups from yew audio, px100-ii drivers, mogami star quad, ear zonk g-cush, and a neutrik 1/4" jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back