The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #167 of 754

Did you try the drop of dynamat on them that I posted on the previous page?  It was night and day for me :)

Yes.  I applied some Dynamat on a previous build.  To my ears, I couldn't really note any major differences.  I do have the necessities to try more testing with Dynamat, though.  Also, as an update from my previous post on the KTXPro drivers, they are an excellent solution when one considers the minimal cost for those drivers.  My preference is still for the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers, though.  I'm amazed more and more each day when I use the headphones.  They just seem to be some sort of magical mix for my ears.

I don't want to call them my "end game" but I'm nearing Shagri-La at this stage.  The low end, mids and highs are to my liking.

I've been working on tweaking the sound a bit and trying various amp and DAC combinations.  The latest being a Onkyo receiver.  The TX-NR509, which has a newer flavor of Burr-Brown (TI) chips which the DAC is built around.  Paired with the PX100 II drivers in the wooden cups, it has a "beefy" lower end (the amp / DAC) that could probably change many perceptions about several headphones if they were to appear light on the lower end.  I'm feeding it with a digital coax cable from my sound card.  I still want to swap out the sound card with my Asux Xonar and try the optical connection.  I realize digital is digital, but still curious how it could vary when being processed by two different brands of sound cards.  A $499 receiver @ $140.00 makes for a pretty interesting bargain - especially when using it to process your digital music signal for headphones.  The Onkyo solution might not work for every variation of headphones (planar magnetic), but for others with relatively good efficiency, it seems to be doing pretty well.

I still have one pair of headphones with the Koss KTXPro drivers and a 2nd pair with the PX100 II drivers.  I tend to alternate between the two and can still admit, that the Koss driver is a good solution for the $$.  I do have a 3rd pair of wooden cups that I'm in the process of refinishing.  Two sets of PX100 II headphone drivers on the shelf, so that pair most likely will end up with the Sennheiser drivers, too.  Unless, another good 40mm driver happens to get stumbled upon for a trial.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #169 of 754
PX-200 II drivers:

Got a "defect" headset for free from a friend of mine \^_^/ As you can see they're similar, but not identical. These are definitely going inside my pair of experimental Vibro cups when I find the time! It's really hard to see, but the magnets are covered by a thick transparent circular plastic sheet. Most probably for both isolation and stiffening. It's really smooth and slippery, so I wonder if Dynamat will stick that well. I do find the grilles somewhat restrictive. Any thoughts about this?
OD is 47mm by the way.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #170 of 754
Whelp, I accidentally plugged my SennGrados into a Schiit Lyr I was borrowing from a coworker.  Immediately blew out the drivers.  Very sad times.  I've got another PX-100ii on the way :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #172 of 754
Just in case anyone is looking, there are multiple AMZ warehouse pairs of PX100iis available for under $45 right now. Really a steal if you consider that finding a used pair of SR60is or 80is to woody often costs around twice that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002VPDOH8/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #176 of 754
  I think you should give the PX100 a thread of it's own. It certainly deserves it.

I would, but feel many will think I'm clogging up the forums.  Clearly, the direction of the thread seems to favor the Sennheiser driver.  The Sennheiser PX100 II is an 'OK' portable headphone on its own.  Ironically, though, the sound really transforms when the drivers get placed into wooden cups.  I was surprised at the results of using my SennGrads with my iPog Classic 120GB player.  I performed a bit better than expected.  For some of my previous headphones, I've used the Fiio Monte Blanc with the iPod to provide some more juice.

Just in case anyone is looking, there are multiple AMZ warehouse pairs of PX100iis available for under $45 right now. Really a steal if you consider that finding a used pair of SR60is or 80is to woody often costs around twice that.

Good one.  I was able to find two pair a few weeks ago from Amazon that were warehouse returns.  One might see several priced a few cents under $35.00.  Amazon's free economy minimum shipping is provided when a purchase is greater than $35.00.  I guess I missed it when the bumped it from $25 to $35.  But still, Amazon is a reliable outlet to purchase from - in my experience.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #180 of 754
  I could trade px100ii drivers for walnut cups.

There's a pair of nice looking zebra wood cups on Ebay at this time.  A few smaller other offerings too.  Winter tend to put somewhat of a hold on the wood lathing operations due to the cold and that most workshops are not built for full 4-season use out of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back