The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2,971 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the quirky portrait!

I specialize in quirk!

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #2,972 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done! Here's the Gordy's wrist strap. I dig it.

Gordy.jpg

Hey did yours smell a bit like lacquer or something? Mine does (all black colour) and what I also don't like is when I rub off the inside of the leather, the black colour will come off and stick to the cloth. Is yours also the same?

Apart from that, everything else is fine.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #2,973 of 5,895
Ah... Looks like pretty shoddy staining. But anyhow, it looks fab. Does the colour stick to your hands too? I imagine it would be an absolute nightmare to use on a hot summer day.

The build quality looks very decent. Have you tried swinging your rig (over a bed or sofa) to test its strength? Does it give you a sense of security?

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #2,974 of 5,895
No it doesn't stick to my hand when I am holding the camera. Only when I purposely rub it strongly with a cloth. I wonder if it's all like that or only mine.

Mine is a string one, and I just realised that it's actually made of a few smaller strings banded together (if I twist the string it will break into a few smaller ones) but they do look strong. I am too chicken to do a swing test but I can safely say that I am confident enough to swing it around when I am carrying it. Now if I can just find out how to get rid of the lacquer smell...
Maybe I should try hairdrying it.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #2,975 of 5,895
If it's leather try saddle soap.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2,976 of 5,895
Quote:

Ah... Looks like pretty shoddy staining. But anyhow, it looks fab. Does the colour stick to your hands too? I imagine it would be an absolute nightmare to use on a hot summer day.

The build quality looks very decent. Have you tried swinging your rig (over a bed or sofa) to test its strength? Does it give you a sense of security?

You should check out the tests on his site. They certainly convinced me it will hold the camera just fine.

DJ, this sounds pretty typical for stained leather. I've always had that problem with colored leather products. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to fix it. Try contacting him and asking? Or maybe some Google-Fu on the problem?

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2,978 of 5,895
hmmm I looked around a bit to see what I can find, and I didn't find much. Most folks say a quality leather product should bot be rubbing off dye, but in some places they say it's normal during cleaning (this was on a site about purses). One suggestion was to try treating it with mink oil, but in the same thread someone (who runs a leather care site), said don't use mink oil
tongue.gif

I'd send Gordy an email and get his opinion before I did anything.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2,979 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey did yours smell a bit like lacquer or something? Mine does (all black colour) and what I also don't like is when I rub off the inside of the leather, the black colour will come off and stick to the cloth. Is yours also the same?

No stink on mine. So far no color rub off, either.

Quote:

The build quality looks very decent. Have you tried swinging your rig (over a bed or sofa) to test its strength?

That would be NO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Does it give you a sense of security?

Personally, I'm not at all worried.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #2,981 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bought a nikon d90 and 18-105mm pack today! so excited!

Pimpin!

That's one heck of a starter kit. You'll be able to take countless nice photos. Hope you enjoy it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #2,982 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No stink on mine. So far no color rub off, either.

I just emailed Gordy about this. I think it's the wax he uses on the string that has this waxy smell. And the colour might be because I didn't choose natural colour. Hopefully he can help me fixing this.

By the way, Feedmetrance, congrats on the camera!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back