The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2,986 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can join Nikonian if you want to.

I personally spend more time on NikonCafe.com, but recently bought a membership to Nikonians.org. Main reason was to get them off my tail about their paid memberships. To my greatest horror, they still send you with emails about their memberships...
redface.gif
Should I go for 'gold' and buy the platinum membership? Maybe then they'll shut up
wink.gif

GTRacer, that's really unfortunate.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #2,987 of 5,895
I started by asking about a Nikon P&S camera and ended up getting a Panasonic DMC-FX35 based on recommendations from here. I have taken a few pictures using the factory settings. I am still getting use to the picture in the back rather than the trusty viewfinder my F4 has. Here are a couple I took with no adjustments:

P1000026.jpg

P1000013.jpg

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2,988 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D80+Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 got stolen last week. :/

So now I'm looking at a Fuji S5 Pro, completely switching to film or waiting a while for a D90...

Wow that sucks. What's the story behind this? How did it happen?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #2,989 of 5,895
John_JCB: hehe... I think you posted your pictures on the wrong forum mate, it was on Watches thread. By the way did you try taking the pictures without the flash? I generally hate using flashes especially when the object is shiny. Man I can't even remember the last time I used flash.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2,990 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John_JCB: hehe... I think you posted your pictures on the wrong forum mate, it was on Watches thread. By the way did you try taking the pictures without the flash? I generally hate using flashes especially when the object is shiny. Man I can't even remember the last time I used flash.

I moved the post to here, I must have had the pointer on the wrong thread, what a dolt.

I will try not using the flash. When I was using my Nikon I most often used a diffuser or bounce. This is not so easy with the little one I have now. I want to try some outdoors pictures but the weather has been so miserable and everything is covered in snow.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2,991 of 5,895
With point&shoot since it doesn't have bounce or diffuser I find it tends to ruin the image most of the time and I'll probably need it only for fill flash when doing sun-at-the-back photos or something similar.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #2,992 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and everything is covered in snow.

arguably some of the best photos have been taken in the snow. ^_^

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #2,993 of 5,895
I went to B&H to test out 85 1.4 AF-D and Zeiss 85 1.4. The Zeiss is a beast to use. I don't mind manual focusing but it was a bit stiff AND you have to turn it around a bit. Minimum focusing distance is shorter with the Nikon.

I was just playing though. I was really interested in 105mm f2 DC and 105 2.5 AI. I'm testing them now. I love being in such close proximity to B&H. It's madness, you get to try a lot of things.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #2,994 of 5,895
Hey all, I just bought a D80 and I'm interested in any suggestions you guys might have as a general purpose, not too expensive lens to start out with.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to DSLRs, (and photography in general) my previous camera was an older point and shoot digital elph but I was frustrated with the lack of options on it.

I'd like to take some close up pictures for ebay listings, some nice shots of friends/family and my pets too. I really like the pics I see where the subject is crisp with a blurry background. Outdoor landscape type photos would be of lower priority but would be nice too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #2,995 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I just bought a D80 and I'm interested in any suggestions you guys might have as a general purpose, not too expensive lens to start out with.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to DSLRs, (and photography in general) my previous camera was an older point and shoot digital elph but I was frustrated with the lack of options on it.

I'd like to take some close up pictures for ebay listings, some nice shots of friends/family and my pets too. I really like the pics I see where the subject is crisp with a blurry background. Outdoor landscape type photos would be of lower priority but would be nice too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 18-135 is a good all-around lens for the conditions you describe. It has a nice wideangle, the ability to zoom in on a subject closely, and is sharp in most cases. The build quality is fine for its $250 asking price.

Tamron also makes an excellent 17-50 f/2.8 lens. It's lower f number allows for a tighter depth of field, meaning that when properly focused, your subject will appear razor sharp, and the background smoothly blurred. The lower f number also allows you to use faster shutter speeds without increasing your ISO, so you won't necessarily need to stick to ISO 1600 in dimly lit scenarios, and you'll end up with less-blurry photos. The Tamron sells for around $400.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #2,997 of 5,895
What do you guys do about dust on the sensor? I have tried the pump thing, but its not removing everything and I still have some on there. Send it in somewhere for cleaning or buy some sort of cleaning kit?

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #2,998 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys do about dust on the sensor? I have tried the pump thing, but its not removing everything and I still have some on there. Send it in somewhere for cleaning or buy some sort of cleaning kit?

I cleaned my sensor using E2 fluid and sensor swabs from a kit I bought at a local photo store. Knowing your steady hand, I would have no worries about doing it yourself. As long as you don't scratch the low-pass filter, it's all good. It is virtually impossible to remove every last spec (i.e. that you'd see shooting a white wall at f/22 and jacking the contrast in PS), but I had no problem removing the ones that were big enough to annoy in pictures at normal apertures.

Here is the swab type I used:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ab_Type_2.html

My store had a kit that included E2, four of these swabs, and some lens cleaning pads, for about $20. Type 2 is the size for Nikon DX cameras (which I'm assuming you have).

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #2,999 of 5,895
Zodduska, the Tamron 17-50mm is a godsend for someone looking for an affordable performance lens. I can post you some snaps if you want to. If you didn't read my previous post, I mentioned that I was already putting this lens (got it as a combo with my new DSLR) on sale and got a buyer but then I backed off last minute because I just can't fault the image quality. Very beautiful.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #3,000 of 5,895
Thanks dj_mocok, I bid on a slightly used 18-135mm last night for hopefully a decent all around lens.. but I definitely have my sights set on the Tamron for my next purchase. Is it a good lens for macro type work? I would love to see some snaps with it if it's not too much trouble.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back