The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3,001 of 5,895
You may laugh, but the kit 18-55mm lens is rather nice for macro work. It's not a dedicated macro lens, but it's still quite nice!

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3,002 of 5,895
Cool, I'm far from a pro and it seems like tons of cash can easily be dumped into lenses so affordable ones that have the capability to do the things I want would probably be the smartest route to go, at least starting out.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #3,003 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may laugh, but the kit 18-55mm lens is rather nice for macro work. It's not a dedicated macro lens, but it's still quite nice!

Can you even get 1:1 with this lens? I have one, and it focuses closer then my larger zoom, but I still find it lacking. I think I just want to magnify things and make them larger then 1:1

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #3,005 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no 1:1 on kit lens, only macro specific can do that. try a reverse 50mm to get 1:1, the cheapest route

I think I'd rather just wait until I can get a "real" macro lens. I find that macro photography is something that really interests me. Maybe something in the 180-200mm range.

I will say that the 18-55VR kit lens does a wonderful job for a zoom. I'm just often frustrated with it's limitations
wink.gif

Any recommendations on a "real" macro lens?

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #3,006 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks dj_mocok, I bid on a slightly used 18-135mm last night for hopefully a decent all around lens.. but I definitely have my sights set on the Tamron for my next purchase. Is it a good lens for macro type work? I would love to see some snaps with it if it's not too much trouble.
smile.gif

If you buy the 18-135, you probably won't ever need the 17-50 f/2.8. The extra wide-angle range and aperture are nice, but on the whole both lenses fill the same niche, and are thus redundant. Either one is a good purchase, however.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #3,007 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you even get 1:1 with this lens?

Not with the lens itself. Add a few extension rings (if possible) and YOU BET!
A very budget and nice macro setup (again, if possible).

Can also do it with diopters, but that's less than ideal.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #3,008 of 5,895
Quote:

Grats Milkpowder!

What made you choose a 800 over the 600?

I purchased a 600 recently and I am very happy with it. I wanted to have it fire off camera, and the D80 handles this perfectly. Put the camera in commander mode and it's all automatic
biggrin.gif

I can't recall what the 800 added, just that I didn't think I would make enough use of those extras to justify the increased cost.

I recently got myself an SB-600 Speedlight, as well. I was trying to decide between the SB-900 (the replacement for the SB-800) and the SB-600, and decided that I would not be using flash often enough to justify spending the extra $250 or so over the SB-600.

Also, with the i-TTL flash system, I can bounce the flash without having to worry about underexposure - as long as the subject in the image is within reasonable distance limits. My previous SLR flash experience was with an old Nikon film SLR (FG-20) which had no TTL flash metering capability whatsoever, plus a Vivitar-branded flash unit dedicated for Nikon; the only automated feature was that the camera automatically set the shutter speed to the maximum X-sync speed of 1/90 sec in the A mode; there was no P or S mode on that camera, and I had to rely on the non-TTL auto mode or full-power manual mode to determine flash exposure.

By the way, if I were to use the SB-600 on an FG-20, I would have been stuck in the manual flash mode since the SB-600 lacks a non-TTL auto mode. The SB-800 and its replacement SB-900 both add a non-TTL auto mode. No big loss for the SB-600 since I would be using it strictly on my two Nikon DSLRs which both support i-TTL flash metering.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #3,011 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my SB-600 and my D-80 and tried the remote flash recently may
get a second SB-600 and experiment more.

lol. The first time I used the SB600 remotely, my immediate thought was, "this is awesome, I need another one!" haha

why are all my hobbies so damn expensive
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #3,012 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks dj_mocok, I bid on a slightly used 18-135mm last night for hopefully a decent all around lens.. but I definitely have my sights set on the Tamron for my next purchase. Is it a good lens for macro type work? I would love to see some snaps with it if it's not too much trouble.
smile.gif

Alright, I took these just now to give you an idea how the lens is in terms of isolating object. It can actually go much closer than this and you can actually use it for semi macro works (eg. flower shots, the fine details of your watch - but not insect's hair shots) due to it's close minimum focusing distance.

Samplee1.jpg

Samplee2.jpg

Considering the price and what it offers you, it's definitely a no-brainer. Initially I almost gave up on this lens because I was so used to metal Ai lenses but now I am adjusted to it already. I can confidently go toe to toe with this lens versus the more expensive Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 pro grade one.

The bad thing (or good) is, it doesn't look like much lens at all, so if you walk around with this little lens and you see a Nikon snob with their D3/D700 and 17-35mm, you might get the occasional "pfftt.. cheapy Tamron - I win" look from them.
biggrin.gif
But I'm not really worried personally, because this lens kicks arse in terms of picture quality.

About Nikon 18-135mm, I wouldn't bother if I were you, UNLESS you really need the extra reach. I'd personally much rather get this than Nikon 18-135mm or 18-70mm because for me they are just too slow. But if you don't mind slower lenses, those Nikons are great value for money too.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3,013 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any film user's out there? I still keep a Nikon F2A and 28mm f/2.8 AIS, 35mm f/2 AI and 105mm f/2.5 AI lens. I seldom take pictures with it now. It's a pure joy to play with it though.

I still have my F3HP with 28/2.8, 50/1.4, and 85/1.4, mostly playing with it and take some slide once in a blue moon.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3,014 of 5,895
Quote:

lol. The first time I used the SB600 remotely, my immediate thought was, "this is awesome, I need another one!" haha

why are all my hobbies so damn expensive
tongue.gif

photography is more expensive than head-fi (at least for me). this is exactly reason I end up with 2 sb800 and 2 sb600

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #3,015 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy the 18-135, you probably won't ever need the 17-50 f/2.8. The extra wide-angle range and aperture are nice, but on the whole both lenses fill the same niche, and are thus redundant. Either one is a good purchase, however.

the 18-135 is already on its way to me, thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Nikon 18-135mm, I wouldn't bother if I were you, UNLESS you really need the extra reach. I'd personally much rather get this than Nikon 18-135mm or 18-70mm because for me they are just too slow. But if you don't mind slower lenses, those Nikons are great value for money too.

Nice pics! thanks for posting them, that does look like a really nice lens for the money. When you say "slower lens" do you mean the f-stop or focus/zoom speed? sorry I'm a noob.. I'll probably play around with the 18-135 for a while and see how it does but from what I gather I might need one that lets a bit more light through for lower light indoor shots since the D80 isn't so hot in low light or high ISO to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back