The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #3,032 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering what people were thinking about the 105 2.5. Some say it was pretty good. It's clearly a worst lens compared to the 105 f2 and I have 2 of them here to compare. I'm verifying focus with live view also so I'm not misfocusing.

I've been under the impression that the 105 2.5 is generally liked for its' bokeh. I shot one once, and found the resolution in and of itself nothing remarkable. That a newer, faster, more expensive lens out-resolves it is hardly a surprise.

That 135 DC looks like a very nice lens also. A "poor man's" 200 2.0 on DX, and a candidate for portrait heaven on FX.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #3,033 of 5,895
Quote:

It's at the edge which is a weaker point on lenses on full frame. If your sensor is not out resolving the lens, you can't tell the difference. I think there's good micro contrast here. I also enjoy the 35-70 3.5. It has very even performance across the frame which is rare.

There have been two versions of the 35-70mm f/3.5 (constant aperture) manual-focus zoom lens: the Ai and the Ai-S. The later Ai-S version is slightly smaller (62mm filter size) and slightly better than the earlier Ai version (72mm filter size) but both of them are very good performers.

Quote:

I'm just wondering what people were thinking about the 105 2.5. Some say it was pretty good. It's clearly a worst lens compared to the 105 f2 and I have 2 of them here to compare. I'm verifying focus with live view also so I'm not misfocusing.

Yes, the 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S is a very good lens for its original price, but the wider-aperture, more expensive 105mm f/1.8 Ai-S is better. (The manual-focus 105mm f/2 was available in pre-Ai and Ai versions, but was updated to an f/1.8 lens when the Ai-S version came out.) And the current AF Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC is stellar. (It's often overlooked because a lot of people thought of the DC as a soft-focus lens, but DC really controls the bokeh and not the focus - in other words, the focused subject remains razor-sharp while the out-of-focus highlights in the background can be made as creamy smooth as the scene allows.)

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #3,034 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That 135 DC looks like a very nice lens also. A "poor man's" 200 2.0 on DX, and a candidate for portrait heaven on FX.

200 2.0 lol. My dream lens. The superteles are always in another class though. Usually already insane sharp wide open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the current AF Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC is stellar. (It's often overlooked because a lot of people thought of the DC as a soft-focus lens, but DC really controls the bokeh and not the focus - in other words, the focused subject remains razor-sharp while the out-of-focus highlights in the background can be made as creamy smooth as the scene allows.)

Yeah I have the 67mm version of the 35-70 3.5. It's pretty sweet. That and the 105 f2 DC are great because of their very even performance. I wonder who thought to invent DC. I'm going to try playing with it a little.

So today's the first day of price hikes eh? Let me go check prices...

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #3,035 of 5,895
I might have to put a stop on lens buying for now. Figure out that I don't use them all that much especially since I got an LX3 for casual snaps. Up to ISO400 it is really acceptable and I love the handiness.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #3,036 of 5,895
My first DSLR: Nikon D80 arrived today! Paired with the 18-135mm lens here is a couple pics I took.. sorry for the poor lighting.
redface.gif

brownhagissb0.jpg

raden2gf6.jpg

dv332tubeswx8.jpg

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #3,039 of 5,895
That feeling of holding your first DSLR is great isn't it? Especially when you're coming from a P&S, it's such a great joy to hold a solid camera and hears that lovely shutter sound.

If you want a completely different experience, you can try scoring some cheap second hand Nikon 50mm 1.8 Ai (or Ais) and use that with your D80. (I think you can get it for less than 100 bucks - maybe around US$70-ish depending on the condition)

It won't meter for you, so that means you have to manually guess the shutter speed and setting the aperture yourself (also manual focus), but you will feel good once you've managed to take a nice shot out of it. It also makes you learn quicker too, and it makes you appreciate taking the time to make one nice picture. And then when you are already bored of thinking about making nice pictures, you can start doing some random crap pictures like me.
biggrin.gif

You were mentioning about Macro lens - if your macro is still life not bug-chasing macro, you can also get Nikon 55mm 2.8 Ais, that will be a good lens for macro and enjoying fully manual works (as long as the object doesn't move - because chasing bugs or kids with a manual focus lens is a pain)

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3,040 of 5,895
For sure! Though the D80 is a monster compared to the tiny elph P&S that I gave up on a while ago, makes me feel a bit nervous holding it and setting it down. Thanks for the suggestions on the other lenses, I'll be looking into them in the coming weeks.

One question I have is with the 18-135mm, only has A or M select for focus, is it ok to manual focus this lens in auto mode? I was reading somewhere that it was but the camera manual leads me to believe only lenses with A/M - M have this ability. The lens did try to move when I was trying to manual focus a bit yesterday with it on auto in P mode and I really don't want to break it.
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #3,041 of 5,895
I don't have 18-135mm but as far as I know it also depends on the lens. Some lenses direct override but they are pro grade ones. With normal lenses I usually try not to be lazy and set it to MF first if I wanna do MF and switch to auto once I'm done.

But with 18-135mm you really don't need to do manual focus anyway, it's very accurate already. Plus the MF is not that nice at all.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #3,042 of 5,895
Ok, the only time I tried to do manual was when the auto focus had trouble finding what I wanted to shoot because of the dim lighting.. next time I'll be sure to switch focus modes before messing with it.
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3,043 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the only time I tried to do manual was when the auto focus had trouble finding what I wanted to shoot because of the dim lighting.. next time I'll be sure to switch focus modes before messing with it.
beerchug.gif

Just so it is known, manually 'forcing' the lens focus while still in auto mode can break the focusing elements in the lens.

My mom tried that with the kit 18-55mm. Yup, it went in for repair.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3,044 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure! Though the D80 is a monster compared to the tiny elph P&S that I gave up on a while ago, makes me feel a bit nervous holding it and setting it down. Thanks for the suggestions on the other lenses, I'll be looking into them in the coming weeks.

One question I have is with the 18-135mm, only has A or M select for focus, is it ok to manual focus this lens in auto mode? I was reading somewhere that it was but the camera manual leads me to believe only lenses with A/M - M have this ability. The lens did try to move when I was trying to manual focus a bit yesterday with it on auto in P mode and I really don't want to break it.
frown.gif

With that lens, you want to use the switch. Your manual is accurate. It must say A/M - M. I've used that lens, and it's like the 18-55 and 55-200. You have to move that switch or you could damage it like Towert said.

The only thing I'm not clear is whether or not I need to change the switch on the body. Sometimes I forget that one and only change the lens. I do recall reading something about trying to avoid changing the lens with auto focus turned on, but I pretty much always forget that part
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #3,045 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that lens, you want to use the switch. Your manual is accurate. It must say A/M - M. I've used that lens, and it's like the 18-55 and 55-200. You have to move that switch or you could damage it like Towert said.

The only thing I'm not clear is whether or not I need to change the switch on the body. Sometimes I forget that one and only change the lens. I do recall reading something about trying to avoid changing the lens with auto focus turned on, but I pretty much always forget that part
tongue.gif

With AF-S lenses you can leave your D80 on AF mode and control the lens with its own switch; there's no physical link between the AF mechanism of the lens and the body anyway.

Personally, I always change the lens with the screwdrive retracted. Something tells me it makes little difference either way, but I generally play it safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back