The Next Sony R-10!
Jun 20, 2008 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
O.K. I had to suck you all into this thread somehow. I am very new to this website and new to audiophile headphones in general. However, I have been reading so much about every headphone out there. I am obsessed with it now. Even over this short time it seems clear to me that there hasn't been a dynamic headphone as great as the R-10! The King of Headphones! I just look at those things and even I drool not knowing anything about the R-10's. Isn't there any way we can all get together and pressure these manufacturers to make a real reference headphone for the 21st century? Spare no expense, cost no object. What happened to the pursuit of excellence, fit, finish, and quality? How many of us are on this website? Why not send petitions to these companies?

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 155
chances are only 2 or 3 people would actually buy them even on this site :p

ok maybe not 2 or 3, but you get the idea.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 155
Where is the pride. It is all about money nowadays...
rolleyes.gif

I guess putting a lot of effort and money into such a niche product is not really the big companies first priority. There are too few of us.

Just like hardcore flightsims. Oh, I wish there could be made a upgraded version of Falcon 4.0 which has the goodies of todays standard
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chances are only 2 or 3 people would actually buy them even on this site :p

ok maybe not 2 or 3, but you get the idea.

I think if Sony was to make a special run of R10s they would sell pretty much as many as they made. Just like when Senn. re-released the HE90 a few years back. Even at $5K they were bought up on preorder, Very Fast.

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if Sony was to make a special run of R10s they would sell pretty much as many as they made. Just like when Senn. re-released the HE90 a few years back. Even at $5K they were bought up on preorder, Very Fast.

I stand corrected!

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't there any way we can all get together and pressure these manufacturers to make a real reference headphone for the 21st century? Spare no expense, cost no object. What happened to the pursuit of excellence, fit, finish, and quality? How many of us are on this website? Why not send petitions to these companies?

One word:

"iBUDS"

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man if they re-released R10s i'd sell everything I could in my room to get one lol. I mean who needs a bed and stuff, floor is fine
biggrin.gif

+1
Who needs a room? I'd rent out my room and sleep in the driveway if the manufacturers release their signature products again. I'd sell my soul to buy an L3000 in a flash!
cool.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 155
Its a shame really!
frown.gif

Most of the well known vendors used to build "state-of-the-art" headphones. But for some reason (mostly because they strive for revenue I guess) dropped out some years back...

Some examples:
* Sennheiser -> HE90 and HE60
* Audio-Technica -> L3000
* Sony -> MDR-R10 and Qualia 010
* Beyerdynamics -> ET1000
* Grado -> HP1000 and PS1
* AKG -> K1000

Stax keep on though, and clearly see a market for their 'phones. Hopefully some of the other vendors join in again some day. We can always hope!
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 155
O.K. I am going to write a letter to the CEO of Sony asking him to do another limited run of the R-10's. I'm not kidding. Like I said before, its strange being on the forum, thinking that the best is already "behind" us. Unfortunately, I do not have the know-how to draft an online petition that I could forward to all the manufacturers. Hmmm. Let me think about it. I will try. Give me a little time. There is power in numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back