The Next Sony R-10!
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 155
If Sony put out a limited re-release of the R-10, most likely they would sell every one of them. But would they make any money? Not likely. Therefore, Sony doesn't see the point in doing something like that. I'm sure the other manufacturers are in the same situation.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 155
And yes, it would be great to have a limited run of the R-10's But even after that, then what? The best would still be behind us? So does that mean that the craft and engineering of headphone design has already reached its apex and its all down hill from here? What about the NEXT R-10? The next state-of-the-art reference headphones? Its strange that we are all on this fourm worshipping at the alter of the past. We're talking headphones here, not rocket science.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 155
Technology can only get so close to perfection but remember there was a time when even a thing like flying was a dream. Its only a matter of time before something happens technologically that will improve on sound and at a better cost recently the trend has been to make cans that sound better at their price but i doubt they'd make them sound so good at a lower price than the legendary cans of the past. They just want money but eventually they will find a way to make it sound better and at a better price and who knows in a few years something might come out that would give the old legends a run for their money. Just give it time. You can never reach perfection but you can get pretty damn close...

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well at least you are keeping the faith.

With all of use here discussing our passion for audio we are all keeping the faith alive man.
cool.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technology can only get so close to perfection but remember there was a time when even a thing like flying was a dream. Its only a matter of time before something happens technologically that will improve on sound and at a better cost recently the trend has been to make cans that sound better at their price but i doubt they'd make them sound so good at a lower price than the legendary cans of the past. They just want money but eventually they will find a way to make it sound better and at a better price and who knows in a few years something might come out that would give the old legends a run for their money. Just give it time. You can never reach perfection but you can get pretty damn close...

I was thinking about your quote this afternoon. Even though you have a positive spin on things, which is good, I just kept on thinking to myself, "how much more time do we need to wait"? The R-10's came out in 1989. What, 20 years later, no one else can improve on that? I think we all have waited long enough. Let's do a march in Washington.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't there any way we can all get together and pressure these manufacturers to make a real reference headphone for the 21st century? Spare no expense, cost no object.

You should contact both Fostex and Yamaha. You have my permission to tell them that I told you that they should make isodynamics worthy of the name "isodynamic" again. Oh yea, and Sony needs to resurrect the entire ECR series of headphones.

Paper cones must die!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 155
At one point having a 5GB ipod was the pinnacle of portable audio and im sure we'll look back one day and go "man remember when the R10 was the best you could get. Yeah man those were crazy". That same will happen in how long idk but its ganna happen.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At one point having a 5GB ipod was the pinnacle of portable audio and im sure we'll look back one day and go "man remember when the R10 was the best you could get. Yeah man those were crazy". That same will happen in how long idk but its ganna happen.

I think Libertad has it right. My take is that attempting to bring dynamic cans any further than what Sony did in either the R10 or 010 would be way not cost efficient (manufacturers found this out). Instead I'd like to see a larger front on expanding innovative thinking from an engineering/transducer perspective. Whenever I think audio I think transducers. A new kind of transducer, or one of a different vein, first tried and tested, then perfected, might be capable of ten times what the R10 was. Perhaps finding a fundamental flaw in currently existing/used technology is what will be needed to change the face of Audio. I'd rather remain hopeful something new will come out than old.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 155
The flaw currently is that we can get the driver to move (and man does it sound good) its getting the diaphram to slow down fast enough to prevent distortion thats hard.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 155
Why does there have to be a diaphragm at all? Massless transducers are attainable today. All you gotta do is find out how to survive in your headphone's ozone.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back