The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Jul 1, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #91 of 516
Question for the techy's.

Is it possible to use something like the splitter below to run a Yggy A and Yggy B side by side from my CD transport (Emotiva ERC-3) then into Rags 1 and 2 AES/EBU inputs for comparison. Thanks in advance.
  • Allows you to split a digital AES/EBU audio signal to 2 outputs
  • Has a female XLR connector at one end, which splits to a pair of male XLR connectors
  • No power is required for operation
  • A custom-designed transformer delivers high-quality audio with no compromises

upload_2018-7-1_8-42-28.png

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #92 of 516
Yes, it will work fine...

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #93 of 516
Question for the techy's.

Is it possible to use something like the splitter below to run a Yggy A and Yggy B side by side from my CD transport (Emotiva ERC-3) then into Rags 1 and 2 AES/EBU inputs for comparison. Thanks in advance.
Rags? As in Rag's? As in Ragnarok's? Then it doesn't have AES/EBU inputs (those are for digital data). But if you're simply using four audio XLR interconnects to connect the balanced outs from the Yggys to the balanced inputs on a Ragnarok, yes, that will work.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #94 of 516
Rags? As in Rag's? As in Ragnarok's? Then it doesn't have AES/EBU inputs (those are for digital data). But if you're simply using four audio XLR interconnects to connect the balanced outs from the Yggys to the balanced inputs on a Ragnarok, yes, that will work.

Didn't phrase it right, I'll try again;

I'm considering buying a "B" Yggdrasil and hanging on to my "A" unit for a while. What I want to try is;

My ERC-3's AES/EBU female digital out to the splitter, then one AES leg goes to the "A" box AES input and the other to the "B" box AES input.
Run balanced cables out of "A's" output to Ragnarok's balanced input #1 and balanced cables from "B's" output to Ragnarok's balanced input #2.

My concern was that because this is a digital not an analog signal and because of the 110 ohm impedance requirement (for best transmission of the bits?)
was that might not be a good thing to do, LOL.

The splitter info indicates it will maintain proper impedance characteristics. If this works I will have a lot of fun A/B'ing the "A" and "B" units over a couple of months,
without any plug / unplug time wasting, (just a button push on the Rag), and see if I have a preference for "B" over "A" and update the "A", or leave it as is.

I have enough Schiit in my inventory to set up a second rig in my bedroom with one of the Yggdrasil's at some point several months down the road.
In the meantime I can compare them at my leisure for my listening pleasure, and to determine what differences I hear between the two.

I'm CD only so the Gen-5 is not important at this time but who knows, but at least I'll have it on one box and maybe that will encourage me to try some D/L'd music.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #95 of 516
Didn't phrase it right, I'll try again;

I'm considering buying a "B" Yggdrasil and hanging on to my "A" unit for a while. What I want to try is;

My ERC-3's AES/EBU female digital out to the splitter, then one AES leg goes to the "A" box AES input and the other to the "B" box AES input.
Run balanced cables out of "A's" output to Ragnarok's balanced input #1 and balanced cables from "B's" output to Ragnarok's balanced input #2.

My concern was that because this is a digital not an analog signal and because of the 110 ohm impedance requirement (for best transmission of the bits?)
was that might not be a good thing to do, LOL.

The splitter info indicates it will maintain proper impedance characteristics. If this works I will have a lot of fun A/B'ing the "A" and "B" units over a couple of months,
without any plug / unplug time wasting, and see if I have a preference for "B" over "A" and update the "A", or leave it as is.

I have enough Schiit in my inventory to set up a second rig in my bedroom with one of the Yggdrasil's at some point several months down the road.
In the meantime I can compare them at my leisure for my listening pleasure, and to determine what differences I hear between the two.

I'm CD only so the Gen-5 is not important at this time but who knows, but at least I'll have it on one box and maybe that will encourage me to try some D/L'd music.
Sounds like a fun experiment. :) I look forward to reading your results!

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #97 of 516
OK, Yggdrasil "B" ordered.
On back order to 7-12, so probably won't see until late July, early August (hopefully).
At least the decision is made. No more; wondering about, thinking about, toying with the idea of, considering buying, etc., etc.,!
The pressure's off.

I now return myself to my regularly scheduled tube rolling with Westinghouses's tonite in my LYR3 with Mahler 2 - Kubelik / Symphonieorchester & Chor des Bayerischen / Mathis & Procter. DG457905.
Carry on.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #98 of 516
Listening to the wonderfully mellow New Gary Burton Quartet -- Gary Burton (vibes), Julian Lage (guitar), Scott Colley (bass), Antonio Sanchez (drums) -- that I had not played in a while, through upgraded Yggy that has been on for the last month, asked my keen-eared, musical wife who doesn't pay any attention to gear and was traveling for the last while "does anything sound different?" and she goes (translating from our native tongue) "yes, the instruments are more separated, crisper, better placed in space." QED.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #99 of 516
Listening to the wonderfully mellow New Gary Burton Quartet -- Gary Burton (vibes), Julian Lage (guitar), Scott Colley (bass), Antonio Sanchez (drums) -- that I had not played in a while, through upgraded Yggy that has been on for the last month, asked my keen-eared, musical wife who doesn't pay any attention to gear and was traveling for the last while "does anything sound different?" and she goes (translating from our native tongue) "yes, the instruments are more separated, crisper, better placed in space." QED.

Congratulations. You married well.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #100 of 516

My wife didn't believe it could make a difference. I played some things through a couple of the DACs I have and she could pick up a difference right away, in some cases quite substantial differences. She later questioned the speakers I got and I played some things on the new speakers and then dropped in the ones from our entertainment center and there was a substantial difference she noticed right away. She pretty much doesn't question the choice anymore but might based on looks but since we have pretty much the same taste in looks of things and for the most part if it works she is happy.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #101 of 516
I've just installed the Analog 2 boards and the Gen 5 upgrade, so now I'm waiting for the 7 day burn-in to happen again. Initially it was back to how I remember the Yggy sounded straight out of the box. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Hugo 2 and Pro iDSD.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #102 of 516
I've just installed the Analog 2 boards and the Gen 5 upgrade, so now I'm waiting for the 7 day burn-in to happen again. Initially it was back to how I remember the Yggy sounded straight out of the box. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Hugo 2 and Pro iDSD.

Looking forward to your comments Currawong.

As I recall, my Yggy v1 took nearly two full weeks to settle in - it was somewhere around the 250-300hr mark that the bass seemed to arrive in a very noticeable way. After that, any additional changes were very subtle and not really worth mentioning. I'm currently waiting for my Yggy v2 (A2) to ship... Hopefully later this week - assuming their aren't further delays. I'm curious to hear if the A2 will follow the same settling in path as the original. of course this time I'll have Freya in the mix as well.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #103 of 516
I am in the queue to upgrade my Yggy to an Analog 2, and am looking for impressions from those who have used both the original and upgraded DAC with either a KGSSHV Carbon, Stax 009, or preferably both.

I've been through a multi-month DAC hunt to try and replace the Yggy with something superior. In my main rig I have an LCD-4 (V281) and an 009 (KGSSHV) Carbon. Originally, I used a Vega with the LCD-4 and the original Yggy with my 009. To my ears, the LCD-4 needs a bright DAC, and the 009 needs a more neutral DAC. I bought a Bricasti M1 SE in the hopes that it would fall in between the Vega and Yggy (in terms of brightness) and provide superior soundstaging, imaging - and the tonality I was looking for.

The M1 synergizes well with the LCD-4, and provided great sound with the 009 - or so I thought. I like a bright sound with forward mids, and while I greatly enjoy the sound with the 009, it is too fatiguing. I wanted a little more bite in the upper mids than the Yggy provides, and the M1 delivers - but my ears hurt within 30 minutes. I have tried more expensive and less expensive DACS than the Yggy, in addition to the M1 - Aqua La Scala, Hugo TT, NAD M51, Chord2qute, Vega - etc. I tried the new 009S with the the M1, and while I still love the mids, it's become too dark and dry up top now!

Anyway - to cut to the chase, the Yggy is closest to the perfect DAC with this combo. From a tonality standpoint, Highs are just right, I would like a hair more bite in the mids - but I could easily live with it, bass is both quantitatively and qualitatively strong, and no fatigue. It's crazy, the Carbon/009 is soooooo picky (to my ears) and the Yggy is the only DAC that I've tried that I've been able to achieve great synergy ( I'm sure there are more out there, just not DACs I've tried in my system.)

Based on this experience, I'm concerned the Analog 2 will alter the tonality - and potentially jeopardize this synergy. Once I make the upgrade, there is no going back - so want to ensure, if it is an improvement - it doesn't take away the thing I find special about the Yggy>Carbon>009 combo. Most importantly, the highs are spot on, and the Yggy's midrange seems to be at just the right balance to be revealing while not becoming fatiguing.

Given what I appreciate about the Yggy, how does the Analog 2 affect tonality? I-m most concerned about not losing highs, and that if the midrange has changed at all - it's not pushed forward more than slightly (and not pushed back farther). I'm all for other improvements in noise floor, imaging, depth, etc.

Appreciate any opinions on this. Further, any reccomendations on DACs that match the Yggy's tonality to a T - but are superior, or different in other ways. MSB Analog? Total Dac? Holo Spring?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #104 of 516
I am in the queue to upgrade my Yggy to an Analog 2, and am looking for impressions from those who have used both the original and upgraded DAC with either a KGSSHV Carbon, Stax 009, or preferably both.

I've been through a multi-month DAC hunt to try and replace the Yggy with something superior. In my main rig I have an LCD-4 (V281) and an 009 (KGSSHV) Carbon. Originally, I used a Vega with the LCD-4 and the original Yggy with my 009. To my ears, the LCD-4 needs a bright DAC, and the 009 needs a more neutral DAC. I bought a Bricasti M1 SE in the hopes that it would fall in between the Vega and Yggy (in terms of brightness) and provide superior soundstaging, imaging - and the tonality I was looking for.

The M1 synergizes well with the LCD-4, and provided great sound with the 009 - or so I thought. I like a bright sound with forward mids, and while I greatly enjoy the sound with the 009, it is too fatiguing. I wanted a little more bite in the upper mids than the Yggy provides, and the M1 delivers - but my ears hurt within 30 minutes. I have tried more expensive and less expensive DACS than the Yggy, in addition to the M1 - Aqua La Scala, Hugo TT, NAD M51, Chord2qute, Vega - etc. I tried the new 009S with the the M1, and while I still love the mids, it's become too dark and dry up top now!

Anyway - to cut to the chase, the Yggy is closest to the perfect DAC with this combo. From a tonality standpoint, Highs are just right, I would like a hair more bite in the mids - but I could easily live with it, bass is both quantitatively and qualitatively strong, and no fatigue. It's crazy, the Carbon/009 is soooooo picky (to my ears) and the Yggy is the only DAC that I've tried that I've been able to achieve great synergy ( I'm sure there are more out there, just not DACs I've tried in my system.)

Based on this experience, I'm concerned the Analog 2 will alter the tonality - and potentially jeopardize this synergy. Once I make the upgrade, there is no going back - so want to ensure, if it is an improvement - it doesn't take away the thing I find special about the Yggy>Carbon>009 combo. Most importantly, the highs are spot on, and the Yggy's midrange seems to be at just the right balance to be revealing while not becoming fatiguing.

Given what I appreciate about the Yggy, how does the Analog 2 affect tonality? I-m most concerned about not losing highs, and that if the midrange has changed at all - it's not pushed forward more than slightly (and not pushed back farther). I'm all for other improvements in noise floor, imaging, depth, etc.

Appreciate any opinions on this. Further, any reccomendations on DACs that match the Yggy's tonality to a T - but are superior, or different in other ways. MSB Analog? Total Dac? Holo Spring?

Thanks for your help.

Sadly I cannot offer much in the way of useful comparison as v2 is the only Yggy version I've heard, and I haven't heard any of the other DACs you mention. However the Yggy has the crispest and most detailed top end of any DAC I've personally owned or auditioned, and I'm pretty sure other Yggy v2 owners also acknowledge its crisp top end.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #105 of 516
Sadly I cannot offer much in the way of useful comparison as v2 is the only Yggy version I've heard, and I haven't heard any of the other DACs you mention. However the Yggy has the crispest and most detailed top end of any DAC I've personally owned or auditioned, and I'm pretty sure other Yggy v2 owners also acknowledge its crisp top end.

Thanks any more comparisons in the Treble and Mids for Analog 1 vs Analog 2 would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back