The new kid on the block: The AKG K420
Jun 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 44
Yes, after getting a pair myself, I attempted to look the K422 up. Not on the US site so they had to be from Europe somewhere. Upon receipt, the only English on the package is under the British flag.

Anyhow, my pouch is a canvas pouch and not a not vinyl one. I also got the K430 on the same deal but have since sold them. My pair of K422 has a cord slider which I like but it really seems like an add on from parts they had on hand. A glossy plastic square that is about 4mm wider than the Y which is a rectangular, rubber and not as shiny.

My take on them is a bit mixed. I really think they sound more like a beefed up K430 and could still use a little more upper bass presence. My pair renders even male vocals with less weight, decay, and roundness of note than I would like. Missing a bit compared to my Cresyn 600's. The Q460 was done the best with the strongest bass that has quality. My pair of K422 has the right amount of bass for sitting at home. They lack the Q460 midbass power, the ES55 midbass thickness, the Cresyn, PX100-II, JVC S900, etc. that have a bit extra thickness down low that fades away outside against external noises. My pair of K422 get a bit bright when you crank that extra notch or two of volume and certain tracks prone to sibilance will exhibit it. Though any sibilance is minor enough that it should work itself out.

Unless they change and develop more bass or loss some treble they aren't breat for outside without adding bass EQ. Fine by me since I'm apt to use these around the house mostly. I'm tempted to try a pair of foam pads on them. The stock pads are letting more treble through and I also find them a bit scratchy(though that should wear away with use). I might sacrifice some stage size with flat foam pads but most open backed ultra-portables go that route. A closer driver and the volume goes down a bit which is good since these really leak out the back. A closer driver helps to counter the bass freq. loss of non-isolating thicker pads. I add a notch of bass using my Sony minidisc and that is my warmest sounding device and that is inside. Kinda afraid to try these with my Rocco P outside. 

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sounding phones. They can compete with my Cresyn and they seem as near as good as the ES55 minus some stage size. My pair is not a Portapro on steroids though. It sounds less like what the K420 was described to be. More like a KSC75 with a notch of treble added. My pair has clarity that is not far off from what I remember the K430 being. Sounds like the previous poster has one with a midbass hump that my pair never got:) These are quite well balanced, well detailed, good extension both ways but the mids are a bit lacking/a bit dull sounding at the moment and they are not as full and fun sounding as my Cresyn portables are. I will be fair and run them in for a while but I think what I am missing may come with moving the driver closer to my ears.

A real no-brainer at $20 and I like them better than I remember liking the K430(at least this pair of K422) with my players unamped. A bit less "off" in the treble and nicely filled in bass. The K430 was a bit thin and too airy but had solid mids. I like both the treble and bass a bit better on the K422 but the mids are a bit distant sounding. If, through burning in or a mod, I can get the mids to make a better showing they will be just right.

Edit: I used to have a pair of pads but one got ripped up. I found the other one and decided to test it out. The bass has a bit more feel in the foam pad side and is softer on the stock side. Mids seem fine and up closer on the foam pad side. They seem more immediate and even a bit more lively on the foam side. I love the lower profile flatter fit as well. Grabbing a pair tomorrow for sure! The only question is Radio Shack for $8 and get a bigger set as well to try out on the Cresyn or just get a $3 - $4 pair of dollar store phones just for the pads?  

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #32 of 44
Like magic the K422 are now what most say the K420 are; a punchy can with just enough clarity and detail to please.

I picked up a pair of RCA HP335's for $3.99 for the pads and hey I get a decent "use in a pinch" pair of cans thrown in. Now the K422 are closer sounding to a Q460 though not as good.

Right away I dropped from flat EQ on my S639 adding midbass at 400Hz to my usual -3 that I use standard since I feel the Sony has a bit too much midbass for my liking. Now they don't have the least bass of all my other cans but as much as any.

Happy with the change. The stock pads weren't going to flatten since the K422 don't clamp that hard. I could squish them myself but they would still be scratchy. So, a fairly cheap quick fix and they have shifted from bright to bassy and the mids are back up where they belong. More fun sounding now :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My pair is not a Portapro on steroids though. It sounds less like what the K420 was described to be. More like a KSC75 with a notch of treble added. My pair has clarity that is not far off from what I remember the K430 being. Sounds like the previous poster has one with a midbass hump that my pair never got:) These are quite well balanced, well detailed, good extension both ways but the mids are a bit lacking/a bit dull sounding at the moment and they are not as full and fun sounding as my Cresyn portables are. I will be fair and run them in for a while but I think what I am missing may come with moving the driver closer to my ears.

A real no-brainer at $20 and I like them better than I remember liking the K430(at least this pair of K422) with my players unamped. A bit less "off" in the treble and nicely filled in bass. The K430 was a bit thin and too airy but had solid mids. I like both the treble and bass a bit better on the K422 but the mids are a bit distant sounding. If, through burning in or a mod, I can get the mids to make a better showing they will be just right.

Oh, I was using Portapro as synonymous with KSC75 - I'm really only familiar with the latter. I thought the K422 were a bit less sizzly than those, but don't have mine handy at the moment to try to compare.
By 'cord slider' you don't mean that yours came with an attenuator, right?
Interesting that our takes are so different. I don't think they sound like the K430s whatsoever. Go figure :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #34 of 44
Having had multiple(read all at least once) Koss 60Ohm models, the Portapro and KSC75 are not synonymous to me. The KSC75 have slightly different construction and their looser fit usually lead to less bass and more balance than SportaPro, KSC35 and Portapro. You can search back and find threads about the 35(the Portapro driver exactly) vs the 75 and people who prefer one or the other.

A picture is worth a thousand words as far as slider/draw/attenuator/whatever name one chooses:) so...

Doesn't really match but doesn't look that bad. Clearly they didn't go the extra mile to match shape size or material though.

Mine are different then your most likely. Not just the pouch, maybe more. After some run in the bass has layered out and is fairly neutral or a smidge warm. This is a better phone than the K430. To my ears they most resemble a KRK KNS-6400. Extremely balanced and even on both ends and highly resolving and detailed. This is with foam pads now mind you. I have tested every piece of music or certain section that I know oh so well and usually use to test. Just like the KRK driver, these K422's render everything done right and they don't miss a thing. They can resolve and layer out quite well. Stunning for $19.95 actually. Every other little can I've had has a fault esp. running unamped. ES55, PX200-II, PX100-II, K430, Q460, HT21, JVC S900, HD238 the ones worth mentioning. This little K422 is even better unamped than the HD25 I had on loan. Only the KRK would top it lately in being true to source, well separated, and tonally correct. It would stomp the ZX700 on clarity and tonality and proper imaging. On top of all it is still a toe tapper.

The only fault may be cranking them will make them a bit bright. I thought, $23.50 shipped, what the heck while I'm waiting for the JVC S400/S500 to come out. Now I don't even want the new JVC's. Or at least I can wait till they come to the US and go on sale :) But I have no real urge anymore.   

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:
Having had multiple(read all at least once) Koss 60Ohm models, the Portapro and KSC75 are not synonymous to me. The KSC75 have slightly different construction and their looser fit usually lead to less bass and more balance than SportaPro, KSC35 and Portapro. You can search back and find threads about the 35(the Portapro driver exactly) vs the 75 and people who prefer one or the other.

A picture is worth a thousand words as far as slider/draw/attenuator/whatever name one chooses:) so...

Doesn't really match but doesn't look that bad. Clearly they didn't go the extra mile to match shape size or material though.

Thanks for the background on the low-end Kosses. 
As for the 'slider', I was asking about whether or not yours came with a volume slider or not, like the K430. The fact that the thing in the above picture seems to be a bit of an afterthought doesn't bother me much.
I'm glad you're enjoying these as much as I am :) though I think I'm going to keep preferring the K430 for certain genres

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 44
Yep, I thought you may be referring to an actual volume attenuator. My bad!  As you can see, none on mine. My package says 2008. Thinking it could be older than yours and they changed the pouch and cord later on.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 44
I wanted to review the K420 in my recent review roundup:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

but at the time I just couldn't find anyone who had them in stock, so I went with the K430 instead, which were on sale for $40. Let me know if you think my review of them is accurate.This thread really explains the differences in sound in the entire K-series, but can anyone tell me if there are any noticable differences in comfort and fit? The comfort factor was really the only negative I found in the K430.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #38 of 44
Nice review thread! I thought the review of the K430 was on target. Mid-forward, a bit of grain keeping the treble from being smooth and the bass reach.

The K series mostly(K420 and above) all have different pads. K420 - foams, 450/460 - puffier pleather which are much better at fit and isolation than the K430. These K422 we're recently talking about have fabric pads which are kinda scratchy for me. Safe to say the K422 and K430 are less comfy than the higher end cans and the K420.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:
I wanted to review the K420 in my recent review roundup:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

but at the time I just couldn't find anyone who had them in stock, so I went with the K430 instead, which were on sale for $40. Let me know if you think my review of them is accurate.This thread really explains the differences in sound in the entire K-series, but can anyone tell me if there are any noticable differences in comfort and fit? The comfort factor was really the only negative I found in the K430.

Nice job with the review though I personally wouldn't rank the K430s as high as you did SQ-wise. They are exceedingly clear and have an excellent soundstage but the rocky, Kossy 'midbass hump' (as the OP put it) ain't there. Looking fwd to reading the rest of the thread.
I actually find the fabric pads on the 422 to be a bit more comfortable/less given to making my ears hot, but the difference is small.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #44 of 44
Got these out of the cupboard today and Im still impressed at sound they offer. They sound absolutely amazing with my Just Audio AHA120 Class A Amp.! Whats the latest incarnation of these things? Is it the AKG K422? Must research them out. These are just so comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back