The new kid on the block: The AKG K420
Oct 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #16 of 44
Well, I tried to sell my husband on the K450 and he wasn't having it. He's a bass head. I pointed this out, but he said "Yeah, at the expense of everything else!" - so he keeps my K420 and I just have to hope the V-Jays can keep up.

If not, then it's time to order another K420.
frown.gif

The HD228 I feel compliments the K420 nicely. I use that headphone when I'm out an about. You wouldn't think they isolate, but on my head, they do. The combination of laid-backness with boominess makes it a fun portable sound. The K420 meanwhile is a bit more detailed, forward, and just as fun. That's the headphone to use in environments where you need to be a bit aware of the outside world and need to be taking them off and on.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 44
I`ve been using the k420 as my primary portable headphone for a while now. Sometimes I use my panasonic rtx-h7, that`s only when I have a retroday.

Tried a few IEMs, shure e3c/super-fi`s and sennheisers, but couldn`t get used with the feeling in my ears. For some reason I build up too much earwax, to keep my IEMs clean, everytime I pull them out I felt like a very dirty person.....main reason that I went back (semi-closed) portable headphones

The first pair of portable cans since my PX100 that could put a big smile on my face.
These AKG`s are really throw in the bag phones and really fun to listen.

I think these are awesome with rock, AC/DC sounds fantastic on them.
Easy to drive, sounds good through the Ipod touch.
Bass is much tighter and highs are not that shrill, when amped by my E5.
Vocals sounded it better on my px100`s. Isolation isn`t that great, but it`s there.

I don`t think they`re better than the PX100, but more on par. Both have their strong sides.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 44

Quote:
I don`t think they`re better than the PX100, but more on par. Both have their strong sides.

I agree with you 100% here. I also own both the K420 and the PX100 and they are both great phones. The PX100 are slightly more "airy" to my ears and the K420 more direct and "in your face" in a fun way.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 44
If you're considering the K420s as back-ups or as portables or as an experiment, let me encourage you to try them.

I was looking for a cheap 'fun' headphone to contrast to my references, (I already had a pair of Senn PX100s). The 420s aren't the last word in detail or anything else, but they have that quality other, smarter listeners describe as 'musical,' which to me means you don't notice what you're not getting, because you enjoy what you *are* getting so much.

FWIW, my listening is from my laptop, (Ubuntu 10.10 and Rhythmbox) out through the usb to a Total Bithead and then to the 420s.

My only reservation would be that if you have a big head (I do) be careful - the 420s fit, but just, and it's easy to try to pull or stretch them too far.

s.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 44
Thanks for the comments and thread bump. I actually just bought these from Crutchfield for $60 a few days ago with free shipping. I wanted to get a portable headphone for use during exercise that was very small. I'm hoping these have the usual AKG mids, but maybe not. I actually don't even know how much bass they have, but as long as the sound signature is good, I don't care.

I can't wait to get them!

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 44
This will be a good chance to tell how my hearing is.

To me, they're not bassy at all, which I'm fine with, and a little on the bright side, but pleasantly so. And yes, they have the AKG mids. Do me a favor and post after you have them for a bit.

s.

May 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 44
Been using the K420 more or less on a daily basis for a year or two now. A bit bass heavy and not the brightest kid on the block, but they play well and are discreet and comfortable.

But what did the engineers think of when they designed the pads? On all similar headphones (PX100, Portapro etc) you just pull off the old pads and put on new when they're worn. The K420? AKG says "contact a local authorized AKG service".

Anyone took a K420 apart and changed the pads?

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #24 of 44
Late reply from another Swede. I have not pulled the foam pads off from my K420, but I did notice that they are at least partially glued stuck. I lived in Japan during 2010, and then I had the opportunity to buy official replacement foam pads. I keep them as spare for when the original pads get too worn.

I think it should be possible to replace the pads on your own. It seems that not too many people have the K420, which might explain the low activity on this thread.

About the size of the pads, I have not compared them to pads from PX100 or PortaPro, but they look to more or less be the same...

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 44
Hello guys! First post noob here..

Early last year I bought a pair of K420:s after reading the review in this very thread. I loved them dearly, and then they broke (some cable related problem). With the memory of AKGs nice sound in mind I decided to spend the extra cash for a pair of K480 NC, which I ended up sending back much for the same reason the OP did the pair of K450. After the K420 they were just too damn muddy and dark.. the sparkle I remember from K420 just isn't there.

So I'm looking around for something similar. Now, these are the first on-ear headphones I've ever bought. Earlier it's just been in-ears and the crappy kind that comes when you buy a mediaplayer. Having tried the K480s I'm sure I don't want to go down that path. Maybe it's time to try something else, I'm just not sure what.

I'm willing to spend two to three times the cash the K420 cost, but I want an on-ear that's open (or semi-open?), like the K420. Preferably with a detatchable cable and non-(p)leather earpads.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #26 of 44
I amazed on the quality. When everybody chosed Senn PX100 for portablity, my choice is AKG 420. And when we compared both headphone, they said it was better than PX100.

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, where it is hard to audition an AKG.. looking forward to hear full cans of AKGs. It seems the AKG420 worth the money (IDR 715.000,-)

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #28 of 44
Nice find. Had to get one! I'll easily get the $$$ back on Amazon if I somehow don't like them. Never had the K420(just the K430) so I really won't be able to say how the pad difference changes the sound. I'd assume they may be a bit more open and a bit more balanced than the K420 with the thicker pads. Fairly certain that if any of the K420 fun/magic is lost, a simple change to foam pads would fix it.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 44
Just got the K422 from the Musician's Friend deal. Got a K430 last year on the last Musician's Friend deal, and people seem to want a short comparison, so here goes:
The K430 has nicer build-quality and frills over all, as you'd expect from a more expensive 'phone. These include a built-in attenuator, a single-cable design, and a form-fitting zipper case, all of which are extremely convenient for someone on the go. The K422 folds up essentially the same way to about the same size as the K430, and while it doesn't include a form-fitting case, it does include a nice vinyl drawstring pouch which might be more 'immediate' than the zipper case of the K430.
It's hard to say which is more comfortable - the K430 feels lighter, but also sits on top of your ears? I guess? Whereas the 422 has a snugger fit. The flipside of that, I guess, is that the headband is a bit stiffer and more difficult to adjust than on the K430. So I'll call it a draw on that one.
I like that the finish on the K422 is more subdued than the rather kitschy faux-silver and glossy back-of-driver driver accents of the K430.
The packaging, like the K430, is tastefully done. The front cover is magnetic, and flips open like a book, after ripping off by the little corrugated tabs on the top and bottom.
Sound is night and day. Put simply, I love these things! Now, look, the K430 is a closed phone, with a great soundstage, a sort of cold, live sound, and subdued but definitely extant bass. They're really, really great for classical, jazz, and anything with vocals. The K422 is a fun, open phone in the best tradition of open phones, and while I'm a big fan of my K430s now, I suspect the sound of the K422 will be much more accessible and closer to what most people expect headphones to sound like...especially if your listening leans more toward rock or pop or hip-hop, all of which really shine here, especially rock. They are underwhelming in comparison to the K430 for jazz and (to a more limited extent) classical though, losing their 'live' sort of feel, but this might be due to my changed expectations about what those should sound like. I think there is a certain clarity that the K430s offer that the K422 lacks, and this really shines through on vocals (say, Adele), which are a bit more muddied by the, I don't know, 'richer' reproduction of the instruments. The OP had it right: "Usually that means a midbass hump, and enough detail and clarity to know what you’re listening to. We all know that Portapro kind of sound. the 420s are that on steroids."
Besides all this - I'm not sure, but it seems like the K430 is a bit louder at a given volume than the K422. This might be because they're closed, but as practical matter, they're not that much louder as to make a huge difference and both are easily driven.
The bottom line on SQ: if you're migrating from the fragile KSC-75s, or got your start with Grados, then these really are a no-brainer. I'd say these are better than the KSC-75s SQ because it's less sizzly and more bassy thanks to the snugger fit. Alas, like the Grados and Koss...these are still open phones. That means: they are useless on the subway, on busy streets, on airplanes. (It also wouldn't be very considerate if you play them really loud.) So they won't be replacing the K430s in my routine any time soon, but if that's not a concern for you these should be at the very top of anyone's list for ~$20, and a very strong contender even at the going price of $45-50 (which is more difficult to say about the K430). 
So there you have it! Hope this helps some of you.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #30 of 44
One aside: it seems that these are overstock or rebadged somehow by Musician's Friend. There are these tasteful nearly-matching stickers all over it. I took one off from the side of the box and it revealed a logo reading "pack fnac". This seems to be some kind of French cloud storage site? Googling, it was unclear. I don't really care, but it's just an interesting quirk. 

EDIT: Appears to be exclusive to a French store called fnac. See here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538029/akg-k420-sound-leakage#post_7260650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back