The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,097 of 1,522
im using the akg pads with them....but then again i only used half the old pad.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,098 of 1,522
Quote:

yes, the tape mod has been done, and the holes covered.
ill try stuffing the old pads. are the dj pads even big enough?

I didn't care as much for the sound with the holes covered. I even notice the difference depending on the number of holes covered.

As for the overall sound, let's not forget that these are $25 hp's.  
smile.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,099 of 1,522
I will be receiving those tomorrow or the day after! Quite excited, I also ordered AKG pads and will be trying some different things and seeing if I will hear any difference.

This is quite a new experience for me, since I have never owned any audiophile-approved headphones, and a few days ago had no idea about what burn-in was. I have for example found the beats solo and bose oe to sound adequate enough for me (although neither convinced me enough to buy them).

One question regarding burning these bad boys in, what volume do you use when you do it? Is it safe to jack it up to close to maximal levels or do you do it at a lower volume? I will probably be plugging them into a macbook pro if you are wondering about an amp or something like that.

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,100 of 1,522
There are many extensive threads and guides (quite a few in this thread and the S500 thread) concerning burn in. If you don't feel like researching or skimming thru this whole thread (or if someone else doesn't chime in) I would recommend a fairly loud volume (certainly too loud for comfort or safety) of very heavy drum and bass music. You can place the ear pads together to make it much less noticeable while you burn them in. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,101 of 1,522
Quote:
I will be receiving those tomorrow or the day after! Quite excited, I also ordered AKG pads and will be trying some different things and seeing if I will hear any difference.

This is quite a new experience for me, since I have never owned any audiophile-approved headphones, and a few days ago had no idea about what burn-in was. I have for example found the beats solo and bose oe to sound adequate enough for me (although neither convinced me enough to buy them).

One question regarding burning these bad boys in, what volume do you use when you do it? Is it safe to jack it up to close to maximal levels or do you do it at a lower volume? I will probably be plugging them into a macbook pro if you are wondering about an amp or something like that.

i do max volume on mp3 players;  I usually do a random shuffle of all music, pink noise and white noise.  Another recommendation I got was to use bass heavy music.  And thats what I'm trying out right now on some iems.

I just put them in the spare room... connect the charger on a mp3 player...put a pillow or two over them....then "SET IT AND FORGET IT!"

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,102 of 1,522
Quote:
There are many extensive threads and guides (quite a few in this thread and the S500 thread) concerning burn in. If you don't feel like researching or skimming thru this whole thread (or if someone else doesn't chime in) I would recommend a fairly loud volume (certainly too loud for comfort or safety) of very heavy drum and bass music. You can place the ear pads together to make it much less noticeable while you burn them in. 

Quote:

i do max volume on mp3 players;  I usually do a random shuffle of all music, pink noise and white noise.  Another recommendation I got was to use bass heavy music.  And thats what I'm trying out right now on some iems.

I just put them in the spare room... connect the charger on a mp3 player...put a pillow or two over them....then "SET IT AND FORGET IT!"

Thank you both for your replies. I have actually read this thread through, and quite thoroughly at least in my opinion, I even bookmarked some music people use for burning in. I just wasn't quite sure of the volume, possibly could have paid more attention to it.

But yeah I will definitely be placing the pads together and placing a duvet or something over that especially since I live in a studio apartment and there really isn't a spare room :D

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,103 of 1,522
just got one of these. this is a lot of headphone for $30, reminds me of when i first found the jvc ha-rx700. 
I am very curious of how these drivers would work in other full size housings....

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,105 of 1,522
Quote:

yes, i am very satisfied with them. and great value for money. it was just that i was hyped by this thread. some ppl made it sound like it was the be all end all with the mods :p

My personal take on them is that they weren't very good to begin with but the internal mods made them pretty good. Still not crazy about the mid-range but the nice thing is that with all the mods, you can strengthen or weaken either the low, mid or high frequencies to suit your personal taste. I am NOT complaining for the price!

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,106 of 1,522
Hello all
I got the S400 a week ago....I Love them!!!!! thanks to this thread for turning me on to these cans.
I cant believe amount of BASS that these have Clear vocals, great detail I could not be happier, everyone that has listened to them was like WOW!!! best $28 in audio I've ever spent.
her are a couple of my favorate songs heard on these!!!! really shows off what these can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfcMKAnvBmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcKZOp_0iA

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,107 of 1,522
Hello guys~ due the crazy hype i pickup this phones few days ago i must say if you actualy pay for 30 USD its a total win in my case i pay literally 60 USD for it so yeah .. anyway i pretty much sastify with my purchase 
size]
 p/s : not that i can get anything cheap in my country anyway 
size]

i have a question tho my left earcup is kind of loose i wonder if anyone have this problem or is it ment to be loose both parts instead? not a big problem just i find it kinda anoying 
size]

here a picture

p/s : sry for bad english :p

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,108 of 1,522
Hello guys~ due the crazy hype i pickup this phones few days ago i must say if you actualy pay for 30 USD its a total win in my case i pay literally 60 USD for it so yeah .. anyway i pretty much sastify with my purchase 
size]

p/s : not that i can get anything cheap in my country anyway 
size]

i have a question tho my left earcup is kind of loose i wonder if anyone have this problem or is it ment to be loose both parts instead? not a big problem just i find it kinda anoying 
size]

here a picture

p/s : sry for bad english :p
That happens to me... you might be able to sand it down though. :wink:

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,109 of 1,522
Quote:

Thank you both for your replies. I have actually read this thread through, and quite thoroughly at least in my opinion, I even bookmarked some music people use for burning in. I just wasn't quite sure of the volume, possibly could have paid more attention to it.

But yeah I will definitely be placing the pads together and placing a duvet or something over that especially since I live in a studio apartment and there really isn't a spare room :D

Burn in is one of those "maybe it works...probably doesn't but I'm going to do it anyways".

Heck, if I can trick myself into thinking they sound better; go me!  "Ignorance is bliss" as they say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back