The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #766 of 1,522
Quote:
Ok, So I've read thru this entire thread once and skimmed it a few times since. Also about 2/3rds of my way thru the S500 thread. Ordered some sweet looking white S400's for the wife for Xmas. Should I go ahead and order some new pads or let her see what she likes? I'm thinking HM5's over the stock pads for comfort and isolation but I'm actually kind of confused after the MANY different views on pads and stuffing and tape and.....LOL

ps- Should I burn them in a little bit before letting her listen to them?

I think it's fairly unanimous that the hm5 pads make them sound better.  But most importantly, especially since she's a girl, she will surely appreciate the extra comfort the hm5 pads bring.  

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #771 of 1,522
Got the wife's sexy white S400's and cut a hole in the bottom of the packaging to pull the cable out and start burning them in. LOL They're hidden in the closet with my Nano on full blast. Have to go in there every 8 hours or so and recharge it. Hopefully that will be enough to have them burned in a little by Xmas. Pretty funny as she has been helping me burn in the new ATH AD700's we got for my son to use for gaming for Xmas. Was at Radio Shack last night and the dude was really pushing a cute young thing to buy the Beats for her friend for Xmas. I really wanted to go interrupt him and tell her to go for the Vmodas right next to the Beats but she settled on the Skull Candy's instead.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #772 of 1,522
I have to give thanks to this thread big time. These headphones are giving me way more than i thought can be had for this price my listened has shifted from listening to the gear now to the music were it should have always been. Cant wait to recable these things it going to be sick!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #776 of 1,522
Anybody compared the S400/S500 to the RX500? Which is supposed to be a better sounding model(or a higher-end model)?

I am assuming all these models can be run directly from portable devices unamped.

Thanks.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #777 of 1,522
Quote:
Anybody compared the S400/S500 to the RX500? Which is supposed to be a better sounding model(or a higher-end model)?

I am assuming all these models can be run directly from portable devices unamped.

Thanks.

RX500 better, nah!  Higher end, nah!

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #779 of 1,522
I have a suggestion to supplement the TP mod. I know many of tried it and the effects are well documented on this thread but i feel TP has a property that isn't idea for what members here are using it for. It seems to deflect sound every were adjusting the sound sig in a way that some find bad others good. Why not use a relatively sonically transparent material like a thin cloth i think the material used in panty-hose would make for a much better stuffing material than TP. Its used alot in IEM mods for make shift filters because it doesn't cut the sound characteristic of the IEM and its very soft and cheap to come by and should make the stuffing easier to do plus it should be more comfortable.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #780 of 1,522
I don't know who invented it but I saw a post on the akg testio thread a suggestion to use the "Q-tip mod"
So since I have been using the Stock pads for maximum bass,
I decided to use the Q-tip mod because my "brown paper" mod was deflating and loosing its padding.
The Q-tip mod had done wonders to the comfort of the stock pad,
and it has increased the distance and area.
I still have the paper inside but may take it out to compare.
The change in sound is very noticeable with a larger soundstage and the already forward mids slightly more recessed. 
It is now spooky how the sounds are so large, yet it is also too bassy with the tape mod it is literally pounding my ears deep like a 50mm can.

The main point I wanted to convey is the excellent "Q-Tip Mod" for making the stock pads more comfortable and springy.
I use 2 Q-tips per cup curved inside the inner pads like the paper mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back