The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #751 of 1,522
Quote:
I'm not sure just how close the S400s are to the S500s, but as an S500 owner and former SR60i owner, I would not look at the SR60i as a step up...it would be a sidestep at best and most likely a slight step down.
wink.gif

Well, the difference is that you're a "former Grado owner" and I'm an "avid Grado enthusiast" :) 

She can branch off into her own journey once she has her wings, but while she's piggybacking onto mine, I see a pair of Grados in her future for sure

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #753 of 1,522
Quote:
Well, the difference is that you're a "former Grado owner" and I'm an "avid Grado enthusiast" :) 

She can branch off into her own journey once she has her wings, but while she's piggybacking onto mine, I see a pair of Grados in her future for sure

The cable gave out on mine, and since I am not technically skilled, I used them as part of a trade to get some different headphones.

I would like to get another Grado at some point in the future, when I am in a better place financially....after all they were my first step above the world of $20-$30 headphones, so they really blew my mind. I wasn't dissing the SR60i at all before, when I compared them to my S500.....it's just that the S500, after break-in, really is that good.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #754 of 1,522
Quote:
The cable gave out on mine, and since I am not technically skilled, I used them as part of a trade to get some different headphones.

I would like to get another Grado at some point in the future, when I am in a better place financially....after all they were my first step above the world of $20-$30 headphones, so they really blew my mind. I wasn't dissing the SR60i at all before, when I compared them to my S500.....it's just that the S500, after break-in, really is that good.
wink.gif

Oh, I totally understand...and honestly, after the last 24 hrs with these JVCs, I can easily see why people would prefer them over something like the lower end Grados. Since she's a good friend of mine, part of the fun is having her sort of follow in my footsteps at least at first, and the SR80s were the first headphones I heard that really convinced me that I could get just as much enjoyment from headphones as I can speakers. She may end up liking the JVCs better, as well, and I would happily encourage that because I want her to find her own way. It's just fun for me to share in my "Grado love" with her so she can experience it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #755 of 1,522
Interesting. So just as an experiment. I threw on the stock HA-S500 pads and then my HM5 over them.

These sound great with this..No tape mod needed. Somehow the effect of having the HM5 over the stock pad configuration just works..While sound changes are not night and day from the other pads. I don't think other pads are needed at all. So while I haven't gotten my O rings yet to just try the HM5 pads. This works great too. I can't say which pad combo configuration gives a better sound. There is certainly more bass end to the stock pads vs the others but not to where it detracts from the mids.. So for guys that want a bit more bass emphasis just using your stock pad with the MH5 pads over them works just fine. Sounds great for trance.

So ATH Pleathers if you want a more balanced sound.

HM5 pads over your stock pads to have. More comfort over the ear and the sound is more fuller. These just works well with actually any pad or none on your HA-S500. The comfort level has gone through the roof for me however. I watched some movies and played some games using this. Just awesome what these pads do. Not to mention these now sound like full sized cans in every single way. The comfort factor alone is worth getting a pair. The sound enhancement is an extra bonus. Highly recommended.

Wrong thread but works with HA-S400 as well. Lol. Damn it Ghost you make this thread too close to mines.!

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #756 of 1,522
Just another update on my s400.
They have well over 400hrs,
They are used daily.
I currently have the brown paper mod around inside of stock earpads.
I also have the taped bassports mod.
I do not have the insulation on the inside rear driver but may do that.
These are my daily drivers.
The bass is dynamic and impressive and extends very well.
The mids are lush and forward and no longer dark, but not bright.
The highs have sparkle their is no lack of detail or brightness.
It is a forward dynamic poor mans version of my ath esw9 that I sold.
It also holds its own against my ath m50LE.
It is my daily driver that sounds involving and fun and juicy.
I plan to get the s500 but these s400 sound excellent.
Once I get my s500 I will mod and try to see how they compare to better headphones like the vmoda m100 that I recently received but bought for a family member for a Christmas gift.
Those blow everything else away but I am hoping the s500 ties me over till I get those :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #757 of 1,522
I was never that impressed with the s400's.  I enjoy a very analytical/detailed sound especially in the upper and these were just never that for me.  Iv'e tried them with k81 pads, stocks, and sj5's.

However, I recently got the hm5 pads, they changed everything for me.  For one, they are now by far the most comfortable headphone I own.  Hell, they may be the most comfortable headphone iv'e ever put on my head.

Soundwise they are much better.  With the stock pads, I found them to be too lacking in the lower end.  Lower extensions were a little rolled off, and they just lost the strong basslines that I found to be this cans strongest point.  However, switching to the k81 pads and adding back the tape mod put this headphone right where I like it.  Bass came back and not at all in a loose or flabby manner, and higher frequencies all sound crisp and detailed.  Might be a bit much for some but I find it a very pleasing sound.  Of course, soundstage has improved and become significantly wider than with the on ear pads.

My girlfriend's in Hong Kong right now and she said a store there had s500's, so I told her to pick me up a pair.  Looking forward to them for comparison.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #760 of 1,522
Quote:
I was never that impressed with the s400's.  I enjoy a very analytical/detailed sound especially in the upper and these were just never that for me.  Iv'e tried them with k81 pads, stocks, and sj5's.

However, I recently got the hm5 pads, they changed everything for me.  For one, they are now by far the most comfortable headphone I own.  Hell, they may be the most comfortable headphone iv'e ever put on my head.

Soundwise they are much better.  With the stock pads, I found them to be too lacking in the lower end.  Lower extensions were a little rolled off, and they just lost the strong basslines that I found to be this cans strongest point.  However, switching to the k81 pads and adding back the tape mod put this headphone right where I like it.  Bass came back and not at all in a loose or flabby manner, and higher frequencies all sound crisp and detailed.  Might be a bit much for some but I find it a very pleasing sound.  Of course, soundstage has improved and become significantly wider than with the on ear pads.

My girlfriend's in Hong Kong right now and she said a store there had s500's, so I told her to pick me up a pair.  Looking forward to them for comparison.

I'd be going for a holiday in Hong Kong next month. Just wondering where can I get the S500 and the price? 
Thanks

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #762 of 1,522
Quote:

Thanks....recabling problems, this set me straight!

For the S500, signal and ground are different for L/R driver. Follow the blue dot. I did not recable the S400 but they may be cabled that way too.

I had the wiring reversed on one of the drivers. Now one driver magnet is a lot weaker than the other. Severe (not fixable) channel imbalance :frowning2:

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #763 of 1,522
Quote:
Interesting. So just as an experiment. I threw on the stock HA-S500 pads and then my HM5 over them.

These sound great with this..No tape mod needed. Somehow the effect of having the HM5 over the stock pad configuration just works..While sound changes are not night and day from the other pads. I don't think other pads are needed at all. So while I haven't gotten my O rings yet to just try the HM5 pads. This works great too. I can't say which pad combo configuration gives a better sound. There is certainly more bass end to the stock pads vs the others but not to where it detracts from the mids.. So for guys that want a bit more bass emphasis just using your stock pad with the MH5 pads over them works just fine. Sounds great for trance.

So ATH Pleathers if you want a more balanced sound.

HM5 pads over your stock pads to have. More comfort over the ear and the sound is more fuller. These just works well with actually any pad or none on your HA-S500. The comfort level has gone through the roof for me however. I watched some movies and played some games using this. Just awesome what these pads do. Not to mention these now sound like full sized cans in every single way. The comfort factor alone is worth getting a pair. The sound enhancement is an extra bonus. Highly recommended.

Wrong thread but works with HA-S400 as well. Lol. Damn it Ghost you make this thread too close to mines.!

Well, they're siblings   ....and we're Bros !
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #764 of 1,522
Ok, So I've read thru this entire thread once and skimmed it a few times since. Also about 2/3rds of my way thru the S500 thread. Ordered some sweet looking white S400's for the wife for Xmas. Should I go ahead and order some new pads or let her see what she likes? I'm thinking HM5's over the stock pads for comfort and isolation but I'm actually kind of confused after the MANY different views on pads and stuffing and tape and.....LOL

ps- Should I burn them in a little bit before letting her listen to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back