The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jul 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,216 of 1,522
Quote:
You can't really go wrong with any of them cuz of the performance to price ratio. Both are amazing, not simply for their price but they are just great sounding PERIOD!!!
deadhorse.gif

Thanks for the added input, always truly appreciated.
smile.gif
I had been looking/researching for so long to find a pair of headphones that were specifically designed for the highest quality sound of clarity with crisp details, and didn't think that there were any out there (since so many I see are more for Bass than just natural crisp sound). So, can't wait to break them in and hear what I've been missing all these months. And I'll probably end up ordering the S500s anyway at some point if the curiosity still continues, lol.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,217 of 1,522
Quote:
i got convinced that i should  get a pair of those.
i looked for them on ebay, and i found sellers that ship from HK, south Koria and japan (those were the cheapest 3).
links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HA-S400B-Carbon-Nanotube-foldable-On-Ear-Headband-Headphones-Black-GENUINE-/321121690090?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ac45821ea
--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HA-S400-Foldable-Headphone-w-Carbon-Nanotubes-Diaphragms-Black-/251166998831?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3a7ab8412f
--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-HA-S400-B-/110966053841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6179bd1

should i order the cheapest or should i be worried? did anyone buy from these sellers and can confirm the quality? (or any other seller that his listing is still open?)

thanks

You can buy from the cheapest one, it's a good store.
The black and white models are the cheapest ones, I went with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-HA-S400-R-/110944135582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4c9299e

They all sound the same, but looks matter.
You should also order the AKG-81DJ pads, they make a great difference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-ear-pads-cushion-Fit-AKG-K81-K-81-PROFESIONAL-dj-Headphones-headset-/181103163774?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2a2a96f97e

Use this file to burn them in for at least 100-200 hours:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav

Before they are fully burned in, they aren't that impressive.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,220 of 1,522
I credit Gearslutz forum  for my discovering of these JVC headphones (and the hype surrounding it in headfi) when I was looking for alternative to Sony 7506 that I own right now.

$25 for a supposedly good-sounding headphone sounds enticing... but is it anywhere near the Sony 7506 / V6 when it comes to ruler-flat accuracy?

I also own Ultimate ears triplefi 10 IEM (i'm sure the reputation surrounding these IEM is well known by now...) 
but i'm looking to limit the use of these IEMs since:
1) they're discontinued & want to preserve it and
2) want something to don on my ear than having repeatedly insert stuff in my ear

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,221 of 1,522
I recently bought a pair of Yamaha HPH-200 (which are stunning, by the way - I can't believe how little press they get and must write a review when I get time). I noticed that the ear cups looked about the same size and lo and behold, found that they were.

The Yamaha has black velour pads, so I swapped them out for the AKG K518 DJ pleathers, currently on my HA-S400s. I found it very interesting that, for me anyway, these pads ruined the sound of the Yammies, overbloating the bass, causing the midrange to sound noticeably honky and unnatural. In fact, the headphone took on a lot of the qualities of which I already don't like about the JVCs.

So, logic tells me these little pleathers are not doing much for the sound and this also reinforces my taste with my HifiMan HE-400s, which I LOVE the sound of with velours, but am shocked with how bad they sound with pleathers.

Next step was to try the Yamaha velours on the JVCs and all I can say is wow! They have for once become a headphone that lives up to the hype around them for me. I have always had trouble understanding what people are raving about with these cans and have tried all sorts of mods and earpads to no avail. All of a sudden, with these velours, they sound natural and balanced, with a lot less of that totally coloured and unnatural tonality that has always turned me off them.

So, the next stage was to find another pair of velours to fit the JVCs, as I couldn't find specific spares for the Yammies. It turns out that, at a squeeze anyway, the Sennheiser HD25 pads fit and I ordered some unofficial ones from eBay. The arrived and work great, but the problem is they have no dust screen to them, so I'll have to find a way to make a makeshift ones, unless anyone else can suggest suitable velour pads of this size with a dust screen?

Anyway, I believe that with all my mods, these now sound maybe 30% better than stock, with the velour pads making by far the biggest improvement to them.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,222 of 1,522
Quote:
So, the next stage was to find another pair of velours to fit the JVCs, as I couldn't find specific spares for the Yammies. It turns out that, at a squeeze anyway, the Sennheiser HD25 pads fit and I ordered some unofficial ones from eBay. The arrived and work great, but the problem is they have no dust screen to them, so I'll have to find a way to make a makeshift ones, unless anyone else can suggest suitable velour pads of this size with a dust screen?

Anyway, I believe that with all my mods, these now sound maybe 30% better than stock, with the velour pads making by far the biggest improvement to them.

The official HD25 velour pads do have the dust screen. Of course, I paid $23.50 for them last fall (to try them on my S500), and the S400 are currently $23.08 on Amazon. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,223 of 1,522
Yeah, and I paid £10 for these ones, but am left without a dust screen! Very annoyingly, the picture on eBay showed them with a dust screen!

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #1,224 of 1,522
How did you find the velours did with the 500s? On the 400s, I still found the upper mids to be a bit shouty and wonder whether a dust screen might tame that a bit..

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,225 of 1,522
Quote:
How did you find the velours did with the 500s? On the 400s, I still found the upper mids to be a bit shouty and wonder whether a dust screen might tame that a bit..

Well, to my ears, they toned down the upper mid-lower treble area a little, and also softened the bass impact a little bit. Although they were nice for the non-sweaty-ear factor of the velour, I decided I preferred the sound of the stock pads on my S500.

I've never heard the S400, so I don't know how the two compare....so I couldn't say if the pads would have the same effect for you as for me.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,226 of 1,522
So, I got the HA-S400 but I notice it gets a bit uncomfortable, such as my ears getting warm fairly fast with the stock pads. What pads could I replace them with to improve air circulation and just feel more comfortable overall?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,228 of 1,522
Quote:
So, I got the HA-S400 but I notice it gets a bit uncomfortable, such as my ears getting warm fairly fast with the stock pads. What pads could I replace them with to improve air circulation and just feel more comfortable overall?

Depends on whether you want on ear or over ear and if you mind if it changes the sound sig. a little.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,229 of 1,522
It seems like the velour earpads for the Sennheiser HD25 fits the HAS400. I haven't tried them yet though.

I guess the velour earpads will probably decrease the bass though, which is what I experience with the velour earpads on my Sony V6.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,230 of 1,522
Quote:
It seems like the velour earpads for the Sennheiser HD25 fits the HAS400. I haven't tried them yet though.

I guess the velour earpads will probably decrease the bass though, which is what I experience with the velour earpads on my Sony V6.

Exactly. If you value comfort over ultimate sound quality then go for velour pads. If you want the sound get HM5 pads or AKG or AT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back