The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jun 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,188 of 1,522
Jun 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,189 of 1,522
Had the 400's now for several days.  All I can say is WOW!  Current config is K581DJ pads with paper towels and masking tape on the ports.  I love this combination (and they only have about 30-40 hours of burn time on them!).  Simply AMAZING for $26.  Well, about $34 with the pads.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,190 of 1,522
I just picked these up as a replacement for my Senn PX100s. Very nice sound, especially for the price. They aren't up to where the PX100s are, well not yet anyway. They are similarly dark and are lacking the slam of the Senns, however I do not hear The Veil. Most importantly for me is that the highs aren't fatiguing. The sub bass is unreal. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how these settle down. A great find.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,192 of 1,522
Quote:
I have a pair of SR80s and wondered if it would be worth getting these. How do they compare? Also, how tightly does the S400 clamp? (I've seen varying opinions in this thread)

Can't comment on the SR80's.  However, regarding the clamping force, I don't have any problems on the sides of my head (and I have a fairly large head).  What I do have a problem with though is discomfort on the top of my head.  The padding is quite firm on the head band.  I have to take them off after about 30 minutes and rub the top of my head a minute or two.  To me, it's just a minor inconvenience. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,193 of 1,522
Can't speak specifically to the SR 80's but I have an old pair of SR 100's. To me these do seem to clamp a little bit tighter but that could be due to them being new and the SR 100's having open foam ear pads (more give than the rather hard pleather stock pads). And slowpickr is right about the dearth of padding on the headband. For some reason, though, adding the HM5 ear pads makes them easier to wear for extended listening for me at least.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,194 of 1,522
I have a pair of SR80s and wondered if it would be worth getting these. How do they compare? Also, how tightly does the S400 clamp? (I've seen varying opinions in this thread)

I'd say that for a $25 headphone that they are at least a good a value as the SR80i are for their price. And I love my Grados :)

I have a pair to use at the gym (can't take my Grados). Work great as a set of portables. I haven't noticed the clamping force to be any worse than my other portables.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,195 of 1,522
Sorry to bump up an old thread (didn't want to start a new one), but how is the clamping force on these? I need a tight earpad headphone for gym duty. It pretty much just needs to stay on my head on a treadmill. My other considerations were porta(sporta)pro or the sennheiser behind the neck active thingies.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I like my cans musical. I also think its a good sign when headphones make me blink when the music hits hard. Hate sibilance and distorted highs. Thanks in advance.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,196 of 1,522
FWIW these clamp fine but I don't like them at the gym because the overhead music is too loud and these don't isolate like good IEMs. The highs on these are very very good PROVIDED you burn them in LONG and HARD!

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,197 of 1,522
Quote:
FWIW these clamp fine but I don't like them at the gym because the overhead music is too loud and these don't isolate like good IEMs. The highs on these are very very good PROVIDED you burn them in LONG and HARD!

Probably a good thing, I hate being shut out from the rest of the world. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,198 of 1,522
They clamp well enough. My big ears aren't very happy with the on-ear pads, but going with over-ear pads doesn't make sense to me, since I got these because I wanted something portable and bigger pads would kind of defeat the purpose.

Mine sounded sweet right out oft he box. I don't really understand what benefits will come with burning them in.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,199 of 1,522
Different ears I guess. Mine were harsh and smoothed out after about 200 hours (yes I said 200 hours) of hard D&B. I've heard of others liking the sound on arrival but mine were...well, just harsh.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,200 of 1,522
Quote:
I'd say that for a $25 headphone that they are at least a good a value as the SR80i are for their price. And I love my Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair to use at the gym (can't take my Grados). Work great as a set of portables. I haven't noticed the clamping force to be any worse than my other portables.

So in terms of value for money they're the same, but what about purely the sound quality? Grados blow them out of the water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back