The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #7,471 of 9,165
I have been enjoying the AK100 for several months now.  I, like others, went through the saga of finding the right matching iems that would work for me with a stock AK100.  I finally ended up ordering the A&K AKR01 iems (Heaven IV) and I am very happy with the match-up.  It was either find some IEMs or mod the AK100.

I am having an intermittent issue I was wondering if others are experiencing.  I have 2 64 GB cards in the player and find that every third time or so that I turn on the unit, one of the cards will not show in the folder view, and the resultant music on the card is not available.  I will turn the player off and then on again and usually the card will show back up.  I switched the cards in the slots and it appears that it is the slot that is closer to the front of the AK100 that sometimes does not show, rather than the card being defective.  Do any of you have a similar issue?  The cards are filled with music so don't know if that is an issue.

Thanks.

+1, i have Rwak100 and faced same issue, now have 2.0 firmware and same issue too, so guess you right about slots.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7,472 of 9,165
I read somewhere that it is because of how your cards were formatted (something do to with cluster size), but I am not sure if it's true or not. 
As I understand AK100 can be used as a USB DAC with the latest firmware. Is it asynchronous and can it accept 24/192? 

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #7,475 of 9,165
  I read somewhere that it is because of how your cards were formatted (something do to with cluster size), but I am not sure if it's true or not. 
As I understand AK100 can be used as a USB DAC with the latest firmware. Is it asynchronous and can it accept 24/192? 

Yes to DAC feature, but no to 192. As a USB DAC it only goes up to 96kHz.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7,481 of 9,165
I'm not sure where to ask this - but is there a tutorial as to how to get cover art ti show up when dragging and dropping iTunes folders?

I rip CDs in iTunes - using Apple Lossless - so I then drag the folder on to the appropriate storage spot in the AK100, which works great once I rescan the library - but I don't have a nice album cover. I use HDTracks, too - and somehow the cover art shows up - is like to do the same for the ALAC stuff I import.

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7,484 of 9,165
  OK, another problem..

I've bought a 64gb CF card. I coped music onto it, but only a small percentage of that music actually finds its way into my music library on the AK100. I have no idea why only some of them get on and others don't? They're all FLAC files and all work perfectly on my PC.

Hey Matthew, John here. I think everyone has issues with their files at some point. After I got all the tags tidied up for the AK100 I sold you and I know it took some patience to get them right but in the end it recognised everything, I had to do even more tidying up when I got the DX50.

Seriously, download Mp3Tag.exe and use it to rename all your files on your PC (if you want to do this and get it right once and for all) to be track#<space>Title.ext. Then clean out all the junk on your tags. Make sure you have Title, Album, Artist and Album Artist, Track number, Genre and maybe Disc Number would be helpful if you have multi-disc albums sharing the same folder. I tend to keep each disc in a separate folder. If you have album art embedded, keep to max 500x500 but I use 300x300 and these appear fine on all my DAPs.

Mp3Tag.exe allows you to do a lot of this stuff in batches so its not as laborious as it sounds. 

Given I know your AK100 was working perfectly when I sold it to you I am completely confident that the above time will cure your ills. Pain but DAPs don't have use Windows file systems so what works on Windows or Mac(iTunes) won't necessarily work on your DAP. They are mostly based on a version Linux which is the case with the AK. And it has it's own formatting requirements.

Clean Tags = Clean Scans and Album recognition.

Requires some discipline but worth the effort and make sure you rip future albums with the same tag structure to keep it all nice and ordered. 

Hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #7,485 of 9,165
So to update my Mac connectivity issues a few pages back, and incl. a Mavericks update, using BitPerfect 1.0.8 unless noted otherwise:

- Mid/late 2013 Macbook Air (the one with extra-long battery life & USB 3):
    - OS X 10.8.5: USB (only integrated option)
          No go - AK100 is recognized, everything indicates the audio signal is passing, but no actual sound is heard
           (No integer option)
    - OS X 10.9: USB (only integrated option)
          No go - AK100 is recognized, everything indicates the audio signal is passing, but no actual sound is heard
          (Integer on/off makes no difference)
          Audio Midi Panel (manual mode switching, no control over integer mode) No go either

- Late 2009 Macbook (USB 2):
    - OS X 10.8.5: USB
          No problem (no integer mode available)
    - OS X 10.8.5: Optical
          No problem (no integer mode available)
    - OS X 10.9: USB
          Regular: No Problem
          Integer: Severe stutter (unlistenable) Maybe BP issue?
          Audio Midi Panel (manual mode switching, no control over integer mode) No Problem
    - OS X 10.9: Optical
          Integer: No Problem
          Audio Midi Panel (manual mode switching, no control over integer mode) No Problem

However:

- Mid/late 2013 Macbook Air (the one with extra-long battery life & USB 3), connected to Audiolabs M-DAC:
    - OS X 10.9: USB (only integrated option)
          Integer: No Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back